Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Doug Pedersen

I believe Gary Kubiak and Mike McCarthy did as well. So, without counting the Patriots...about half of the super bowl winners in the last 10 years had HC calling plays.

Comment

+1

Any idea why he was fired by Carolina? His offenses were good the last few years (great in 2015).

Charley Casserly just tweeted that Shula's hiring was an "excellent move". On the other hand, he thinks that squirrel on his head is an "excellent move" too ....
      I googled a few articles about it, and everyone seemed stunned that he got fired.

Comment

All that's left to do now is get Cam Newton and Greg Olsen and we are SET.

What?
        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          I'm okay with this as the HC is calling the plays anyhow but I don't think (if memory serves me correctly) that there are very few HC's that have called plays and won a SB. Does anyone have those stats? Sean Payton comes to mind. Didn't Bill Walsh call the plays also. Just a very small group.
          Mike McCarthy?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I'm okay with this as the HC is calling the plays anyhow but I don't think (if memory serves me correctly) that there are very few HC's that have called plays and won a SB. Does anyone have those stats? Sean Payton comes to mind. Didn't Bill Walsh call the plays also. Just a very small group.
            I think Mike McCarthy

Comment

+1

Any idea why he was fired by Carolina? His offenses were good the last few years (great in 2015).

Charley Casserly just tweeted that Shula's hiring was an "excellent move". On the other hand, he thinks that squirrel on his head is an "excellent move" too ....
              HAHAHA yeah Casserly is embarrassing to even look at.

Comment

He hasn't won anything yet but Mcvay called his own plays this year and that worked out well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                  All that's left to do now is get Cam Newton and Greg Olsen and we are SET.

What?
                  **** Cam Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

**** Cam Newton.
                    I shoulda made red font
                    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                    "No...I didn't."
                    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Not sure about this one...

Comment

Originally posted by nycowns View Post

I googled a few articles about it, and everyone seemed stunned that he got fired.
                        It's because Carolina has no idea what they're doing......though the team is competitive the front office and ownership situation is a complete dumpster fire.

Comment

Good hire. More experience added. Chain of command established. Off we go.

Comment

I actually like the hire, experienced and Shurmur is going to have his hands on the offense anyway. There is more to being an OC to calling the plays and he should be the perfect guy to do this job knowing Shurmur is calling the plays. How many top tier guys are going to be OK with that? Probably none.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
                              Shula is the OC to Shurmur......just like Sullivan was the OC to McAdoo......pretty much title only.
                              You guys don't really understand all that goes into being an OC. No way a guy like Shula sits passively by and doesn't offer any input in game planning or schemes. Wheat happens when they play a team that Shula had success against and Shurmur didn't. You guys still think Shula would have no say?

It's OC by committee and I'm OK with that because the unit needed so much attention. I see this as a good thing, because i don't want any rookie coaches that have not been coordinators with proven success.

Also good to have some young talent come through our doors as one day, maybe Shula will be our OC, instead of grabbing an idiot like mcAdoomed
                              Long Live the King

Comment

in 2015, all of these coaches called their own plays
                                NFL Head Coaches Who Call Plays

Bruce Arians Cardinals Offense
                                Jay Gruden Washington Offense
                                Chip Kelly Eagles Offense
                                Gary Kubiak Broncos Offense
                                Bill O'Brien Texans Offense
                                Sean Payton Saints Offense
                                Andy Reid Chiefs Offense
                                Rex Ryan Bills Defense
                                Ken Whisenhunt Titans Offense
                                Mike Zimmer Vikings

It is not out of the ordinary