Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cap cuts are coming — which Giants will stay, go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cap cuts are coming — which Giants will stay, go?

    https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/2/1...hall-eli-apple

    Excerpt: "The free agency signing period is now one month away. Teams have already begun to clear salary cap space — like the Oakland Raiders getting rid of cornerback David Amerson and the Kansas City Chiefs telling veteran linebacker Derrick Johnson he won’t return.

    Pat Traina recently broke down the New York Giants projected salary cap picture for us and offered a few thoughts on who, in her view, would be kept, cut, and re-structured.

    Here is a look at few Giants who should be hoping their phone doesn’t ring, and what I believe is going to happen.
    Brandon Marshall

    When I reviewed the Giants’ wide receiver situation heading into 2018, I said I didn’t believe Marshall would be back. I still don’t. After seven straight 1,000-yard receiving seasons, Marshall has had just one in the past four years. He will be 34 next season and played only five games in 2017 due to an ankle injury. He wants to continue to play and build a Hall of Fame resume. It would just be shocking if he was playing with the Giants in 2018.

    Cap savings: $5,156,620
    Dead money: $1 million

    Verdict: Cut
    Dwayne Harris

    In that same post about wide receivers, I said that I anticipated the Giants would move on from the 30-year-old special teams ace. Nothing has changed.

    Harris is incredibly tough, having played through all sorts of injuries over the years that would have sidelined other players. All those bumps and bruises, though, have taken a toll on Harris productivity. Once a premier punt returner, Harris has averaged just 6.1 yards per return the past two seasons. His kickoff return average went from 28.7 in 2015, to 24.2 in 2016 and plummeted to 20.9 in his injury-shortened 2017 season. Harris is of little use on offense, having caught just one pass since 2015.

    Cap savings: $2.45 million
    Dead money: $1.6 million

    Verdict: Cut" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    I would not cut DRC. Not this year.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
      I would not cut DRC. Not this year.
      and certainly not both him and jackrabbit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
        I would not cut DRC. Not this year.
        DRC is worth keeping, and so is Jenkins. Totally agreed. DRC can play Nickel Slot, he can play outside. He is part of the solution as far as I am concerned.

        Dwayne Harris, John Jerry and Brandon Marshall should all be let go.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

          and certainly not both him and jackrabbit.
          Certainly need to keep Jackrabbit

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
            I would not cut DRC. Not this year.
            I would cut him for Cockrell, unless he took less. Once they start talking about moving people to FS, I look at my old Jason Sehorn jersey and shed a tear.
            Long Live the King

            Comment


            • #7
              I would not cut Jack rabbit or DRC. Corners are at a premium. We have 2 good corners under contract. With the amount of talent this team needs an influx of ( O-line and LBs mainly). Why stress the draft and obtaining FAs even more with weakening the Defense further.
              There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TEM View Post
                I would not cut Jack rabbit or DRC. Corners are at a premium. We have 2 good corners under contract. With the amount of talent this team needs an influx of ( O-line and LBs mainly). Why stress the draft and obtaining FAs even more with weakening the Defense further.
                I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but I believe Apple still has the tools to be a very good corner in this league. New staff, it's possible. They're not keeping DRC at his cap number.
                sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post

                  I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but I believe Apple still has the tools to be a very good corner in this league. New staff, it's possible. They're not keeping DRC at his cap number.
                  I will take the hit with you because I feel the same exact way. I believe DRC would be willing to renegotiate.
                  Last edited by TEM; 02-17-2018, 05:54 PM.
                  There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TEM View Post

                    I will take the hit with you because I feel the same exact way. I believe DRC would be willing to renegotiate.
                    Apple has technique problems, how often was he actually cleanly beaten? It happens to everyone, but Apple's problems had a lot more to do with turning his head and locating the ball. That **** was aggravating AF to watch.
                    sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NAVY2323 View Post

                      Apple has technique problems, how often was he actually cleanly beaten? It happens to everyone, but Apple's problems had a lot more to do with turning his head and locating the ball. That **** was aggravating AF to watch.
                      That is young player growing pains. Some on the MB want HOF play from game 1. I like to give 3 seasons before i start to question.
                      There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TEM View Post

                        That is young player growing pains. Some on the MB want HOF play from game 1. I like to give 3 seasons before i start to question.
                        Does that mean you are ready to kick Flowers to the curb now?

                        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                        "No...I didn't."
                        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

                          Does that mean you are ready to kick Flowers to the curb now?

                          No I would change his role and see how he is on another part of the line. Just look at Jerry he sucked on the Right side. Who would have thought the left side is a more natural fit for him?
                          There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            This is how it goes every off-season. Fans scream all season long for the team to unload inflated contracts. But when it comes time to actually address the issue player-by-player...eh, we need THAT guy. Oh, and...THAT guy.

                            It's easy to get rid of crappy players. The only problem is...crappy players usually have fairly insignificant contracts. So, to make a real dent in the cap situation, you have to part ways with guys that aren't necessarily bad players. THERE is where you learn how dedicated fans are to "trimming the fat".

                            I'm not necessarily arguing against anyone's specific points here...just pointing out the irony.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post
                              This is how it goes every off-season. Fans scream all season long for the team to unload inflated contracts. But when it comes time to actually address the issue player-by-player...eh, we need THAT guy. Oh, and...THAT guy.

                              It's easy to get rid of crappy players. The only problem is...crappy players usually have fairly insignificant contracts. So, to make a real dent in the cap situation, you have to part ways with guys that aren't necessarily bad players. THERE is where you learn how dedicated fans are to "trimming the fat".

                              I'm not necessarily arguing against anyone's specific points here...just pointing out the irony.
                              And I for one would be willing to get rid of JPP and Vernon, however I would like to keep Eli and give Odell a deal.

                              Yes, and this is why I'm glad I'm not the GM.

                              Also glad anyone going to give me grief over this is behind a computer somewhere else.
                              "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                              "No...I didn't."
                              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X