Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 things to know about new Giants offensive coordinator Mike Shula

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ike_shula.html

Excerpt: "Giants coach Pat Shurmur finalized his staff on Tuesday by hiring Mike Shula as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. The 52-year-old Shula has been in coaching for 30 years, most recently serving as the Panthers' offensive coordinator.

Here are six things to know about the new Giants offensive coordinator:

Ties to Gettleman
    Giants general manager Dave Gettleman is familiar with Shula from their time together in Carolina. Shula was promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator after Gettleman was hired as the Panthers' general manager in 2013. New Giants special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey was also in Carolina with Gettleman.

QB background
    Shurmur indicated that he planned to hire an offensive coordinator and a quarterbacks coach, but he clearly believes Shula is capable of handling both roles. Shula's background gave Shurmur that assurance.
    Shula has been a quarterbacks coach for the Dolphins (2000-02), Jaguars (2007-10) and Panthers (2011-12). He also has been an offensive coordinator with the Buccaneers (1996-99) and Panthers (2013-17). But he has never juggled both roles at the same time.
    Shula worked with Panthers quarterback Cam Newton for his entire seven-year career. Newton, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, has made three Bowls and was named league MVP in 2015." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

From someone I know who is a Carolina fan:

"Receiving routes are extremely basic. He’s pretty predictable that he’s running on 1st and 2nd down. I give him credit for running trick plays but they’re not really home run hitting trick plays, just works enough to get a first down. Did I mention the receiving routes are extremely basic?"

Comment

and...

"A big part of his offense revolves around random deep ball chucks which could benefit OBJ though."

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

"Receiving routes are extremely basic. He’s pretty predictable that he’s running on 1st and 2nd down. I give him credit for running trick plays but they’re not really home run hitting trick plays, just works enough to get a first down. Did I mention the receiving routes are extremely basic?"
        He wont be calling plays so who cares?
        Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN

“I wrote after the combine that Engram was entering the first-round discussion, and I've moved him above David Njoku as my second-ranked tight end. … He put up the best 40 time (4.42) among tight ends and the fourth-best vertical (36 inches) at the combine. At 6-3, 234, Engram had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.”

Comment

Originally posted by scoostraw View Post

Have you seen their receivers? Pretty sorry bunch. They traded the only good one they had

Comment

i wouldn't worry about his offense or play calling with the panthers cause it won't be the same with the giants. as many reports have stated it will be shurmur offense that he will help coordinate game plans during the week but the schemes, concepts and play calling will be all shurmur.

also both he and shurmur has never worked with a QB like eli who is an extensions of the coach on the field.

Comment

Sounds to me like exactly what Eli Manning needs now and has needed his entire career.

A stout running game to hit the play action deep.

It is literally Eli's best chance to win and he has done it twice in such systems.

I'm excited for this. Combine this with Shurmur's solid routes and tricks and we are golden imo.

Running on 1st and 2nd isn't a bad thing.

Getting stuffed on 1st and 2nd to make 3rd and long is what's bad.

If we are a powerhouse run team next year then we will be a dominant offense.

Dominant.

I'm excited. And now fully expecting to draft Saquon with the 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post
                Sounds to me like exactly what Eli Manning needs now and has needed his entire career.

A stout running game to hit the play action deep.

It is literally Eli's best chance to win and he has done it twice in such systems.

I'm excited for this. Combine this with Shurmur's solid routes and tricks and we are golden imo.

Running on 1st and 2nd isn't a bad thing.

Getting stuffed on 1st and 2nd to make 3rd and long is what's bad.

If we are a powerhouse run team next year then we will be a dominant offense.

Dominant.

I like your optimism.

Comment

He has coached one of the top running offenses over the past few years, with no clear cut STAR RB. Granted, Cam newton makes a lot of that possible, since he gets the attention of LB's more so that Eli would. I'm sure a DT could run Eli down.
                  Long Live the King

Comment

is it me or does he look like Don Shula

hahaha
                    Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Have you seen their receivers? Pretty sorry bunch. They traded the only good one they had
                      Who was their GM again ??

Comment

Originally posted by andthewinneris View Post

He wont be calling plays so who cares?
                        I don't think the posters here understand that fact.

Comment

Yeah...but...can he core a apple?
                          "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post

Lol. You guys just don't give up, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                              He has coached one of the top running offenses over the past few years, with no clear cut STAR RB. Granted, Cam newton makes a lot of that possible, since he gets the attention of LB's more so that Eli would. I'm sure a DT could run Eli down.
                              You didnt see Eli run before? Not that slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X