Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a league full of mobile quarterbacks, Pat Shurmur and Mike Shula must figure out how Giants can win without one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In a league full of mobile quarterbacks, Pat Shurmur and Mike Shula must figure out how Giants can win without one

    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3821018

    Excerpt: "Mobility matters at the quarterback position more than ever in the NFL.

    Tom Brady is a glaring and all-time-great exception, but look at the majority of the league's top quarterbacks: Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck (when healthy) all are often dominant with their legs.

    Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford can move. Drew Brees can dance. Deshaun Watson is electric. The NFC East is full of QBs who do damage with their feet: Wentz, the Cowboys' Dak Prescott, and both Washington's outgoing (Kirk Cousins) and incoming (Alex Smith) starters.

    Nick Foles, the Eagles' Super Bowl MVP, isn't a tuck-and-run player, but his elusiveness in the pocket is a major reason Philly won it all, including on what I felt was the play of the game: Foles danced away from pressure and threw on-target, off-balance, to tight end Zach Ertz for a two-yard gain on 4th-and-1 from the Eagles' own 45-yard line with under five minutes left and New England up, 33-32.

    The Patriots had scored touchdowns on three straight drives to start the second half. But the Eagles converted that fourth down because of Foles' feet, and Foles hit Ertz for the go-ahead touchdown later that drive. And then Brandon Graham forced a Brady fumble, and one Jake Elliott field goal and a failed Patriots Hail Mary later, the Eagles were world champs.

    And then there's Eli Manning and the Giants, and the interesting question of how new head coach Pat Shurmur and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Shula will build a thriving offense around Manning, 37, one of the least mobile quarterbacks in an increasingly athletic league at the most important position in the sport.

    Manning, no doubt, managed a miraculous and legendary Super Bowl escape of a Patriots' pass rush in Super Bowl XLII, hitting David Tyree for the famous helmet-catch on the Giants' game-winning Super Bowl XLII drive.

    But that was on Feb. 3, 2008.

    The last two seasons, as Ben McAdoo's offense floundered, the head coach constantly harped on the need for Manning to better move his feet, buy time and make more accurate throws off-balance or from uncomfortable positions.

    McAdoo's comments sometimes went too far and made the coach seem unaccountable, throwing Manning under the bus. And it is of course a coach's job to build a team around the personnel he has, so McAdoo's and Jerry Reese's judgment that the problem was Manning -- and not the offensive line -- ultimately led to their firings on Dec. 4." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    You want to counter the effect of a non mobile QB. How about a line and a running game.
    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

    Comment


    • #3
      wow....ground breaking article. They pay these guys to write the obvious. NIce work if you can get it
      "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

      ​​​​​​ -Jesse James

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TEM View Post
        You want to counter the effect of a non mobile QB. How about a line and a running game.
        It's so god damn obvious it's pathetic......and has been for the last 5-6 years.......

        Comment


        • #5
          Eagles figured it out, Pats too and the falcons last year. Bunch of idiots.

          Comment


          • #6
            If only Eli could escape pressure in the pocket during the Super Bowl to make an amazing play then people would respect him like Foles......
            LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
            "Next man up"

            "I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3821018

              Excerpt: "Mobility matters at the quarterback position more than ever in the NFL.

              Tom Brady is a glaring and all-time-great exception, but look at the majority of the league's top quarterbacks: Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck (when healthy) all are often dominant with their legs.

              Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford can move. Drew Brees can dance. Deshaun Watson is electric. The NFC East is full of QBs who do damage with their feet: Wentz, the Cowboys' Dak Prescott, and both Washington's outgoing (Kirk Cousins) and incoming (Alex Smith) starters.

              Nick Foles, the Eagles' Super Bowl MVP, isn't a tuck-and-run player, but his elusiveness in the pocket is a major reason Philly won it all, including on what I felt was the play of the game: Foles danced away from pressure and threw on-target, off-balance, to tight end Zach Ertz for a two-yard gain on 4th-and-1 from the Eagles' own 45-yard line with under five minutes left and New England up, 33-32.

              The Patriots had scored touchdowns on three straight drives to start the second half. But the Eagles converted that fourth down because of Foles' feet, and Foles hit Ertz for the go-ahead touchdown later that drive. And then Brandon Graham forced a Brady fumble, and one Jake Elliott field goal and a failed Patriots Hail Mary later, the Eagles were world champs.

              And then there's Eli Manning and the Giants, and the interesting question of how new head coach Pat Shurmur and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Shula will build a thriving offense around Manning, 37, one of the least mobile quarterbacks in an increasingly athletic league at the most important position in the sport.

              Manning, no doubt, managed a miraculous and legendary Super Bowl escape of a Patriots' pass rush in Super Bowl XLII, hitting David Tyree for the famous helmet-catch on the Giants' game-winning Super Bowl XLII drive.

              But that was on Feb. 3, 2008.

              The last two seasons, as Ben McAdoo's offense floundered, the head coach constantly harped on the need for Manning to better move his feet, buy time and make more accurate throws off-balance or from uncomfortable positions.

              McAdoo's comments sometimes went too far and made the coach seem unaccountable, throwing Manning under the bus. And it is of course a coach's job to build a team around the personnel he has, so McAdoo's and Jerry Reese's judgment that the problem was Manning -- and not the offensive line -- ultimately led to their firings on Dec. 4." Read more...
              The "when healthy" is the most important part of that article.

              Comment


              • #8
                One of things that makes me optimistic about our future is that our HC and DC are said to be excellent at putting players in a position to do what they do best.

                That is something this team has lacked for a long time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                  Eagles figured it out, Pats too and the falcons last year. Bunch of idiots.
                  What? Foles and Wentz are both far more mobile and athletic than Eli...and Ryan and Brady are as well. Stop lying

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TEM View Post
                    You want to counter the effect of a non mobile QB. How about a line and a running game.
                    Not that easy. Defense is the way to go.
                    I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NYG9289 View Post

                      What? Foles and Wentz are both far more mobile and athletic than Eli...and Ryan and Brady are as well. Stop lying
                      Eli can move quite well. Not many D-linemen are that fast. Eli can just move away from coverage and run for some yards. Dont have to be big gains.
                      I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                        One of things that makes me optimistic about our future is that our HC and DC are said to be excellent at putting players in a position to do what they do best.

                        That is something this team has lacked for a long time.
                        I agree. Shurmur seems to be a guy that waits to see what he is going to have to work with before drafting the blueprints. More flexible approach. He knows certain elements that he will definitely be incorporating but a large amount of the plan is up for grabs.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NYG9289 View Post

                          What? Foles and Wentz are both far more mobile and athletic than Eli...and Ryan and Brady are as well. Stop lying
                          Foles is not mobile or athletic.. Him and Eli are very similar.. The eagles won because of the trenches.. great oline and dline

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                            If only Eli could escape pressure in the pocket during the Super Bowl to make an amazing play then people would respect him like Foles......
                            Yeah....like THAT would ever happen......
                            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                            "No...I didn't."
                            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Diamondring View Post

                              Not that easy. Defense is the way to go.
                              Foles had all day throw throw in the SB. That kind of puts a damper on your theory.
                              "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X