Run game.. Why was it so bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run game.. Why was it so bad?

The run game last year got much a better after McDoofus was fired. Don't know if it was scheme, play calling or same formations but under McDoofus our run game was just brutal.

Ranking of our Run game over the years..

2011: 32nd
    2012: 14th
    2013: 29th
    2014: 23rd
    2015: 18th
    2016: 29th
    2017: 26th

In 2015 with practically the same group we ranked 18 mcadoo becomes coach and we drop to 29th.

Last year we were near the bottom all year and then finally get some good rushing games after McDoofus is canned.

So it leads me to question, was mcdoo's scheme garbage and was putting our oline and rb in position where they could not succeed?

Or were we just that bad?

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
    The run game last year got much a better after McDoofus was fired. Don't know if it was scheme, play calling or same formations but under McDoofus our run game was just brutal.

In 2015 with practically the same group we ranked 18 mcadoo becomes coach and we drop to 29th.

Last year we were near the bottom all year and then finally get some good rushing games after McDoofus is canned.

So it leads me to question, was mcdoo's scheme garbage and was putting our oline and rb in position where they could not succeed?

Combination of bad scheme, sub-par O-line, and anemic passing game. I was actually quite impressed by Gallman, and think he has the potential to become a solid running threat if given the opportunity.

Comment

It got better as soon as Richburg and Hart were benched - Injured. That was when Darkwa had some big games, while McAdoo was still there.

Gallman looked like a legit starter too and got more reps through the year.
      http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

It is a very dynamic situation. Too hard to draw any conclusions off of such high level numbers.

You made no mention of our strength of schedule.
        You made no mention of our competitive team overall. If we are a winning team we don't have to pass pass pass all the time to play catch up. Therefore we can't run the ball off of play fakes. With the ****ty teams we have had we are running less because we are behind most of the time.

It is more complicated than where we ranked in total rushing yards, much more complicated.

Suffice it to say that our run game has not been good in ages despite a blip here or there in the aggregated numbers.
        Last edited by jomo; 02-23-2018, 10:52 PM.
        No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

Combination of bad scheme, sub-par O-line, and anemic passing game. I was actually quite impressed by Gallman, and think he has the potential to become a solid running threat if given the opportunity.
          Totally agree. Oline at the top of that list.

Comment

Wow ... never realized that our run game has been THAT bad.

Have to get that fixed

Comment

Gotta love that 32nd in 2011.. lmao

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

It is a very dynamic situation. Too hard to draw any conclusions off of such high level numbers.

You made no mention of our strength of schedule.
                You made no mention of our competitive team overall. If we are a winning team we don't have to pass pass pass all the time to play catch up. Therefore we can run the ball off of play fakes. With the ****ty teams we have had we are running less because we are behind most of the time.

It is more complicated than where we ranked in total rushing yards, much more complicated.

Suffice it to say that our run game has not been good in ages despite a blip here or there in the aggregated numbers.
                +1

Bradshaw/BJ was the last time we could really do anything on the ground. I feel like Gallman has potential. I like him going forward. I had hope for Perkins, but that is fading fast. I think Darkwa has hit his ceiling. We need to add another back badly in this draft to pair with Gallman or in case he does not work out. Plus improve the OL. I also think Shurmur will do a much better job calling games and putting guys in position to succeed.
                LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

29th in 2016, that's partially why I don't feel the defense was a fluke and that many of those players can still perform at that level and work together with some key additions to get back to greatness this upcoming season with Bettcher who I think is a good fit because he has a similar philosophy as spagnuolo and seems to be very creative.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post

Wow ... never realized that our run game has been THAT bad.

Have to get that fixed
                    And the OL AND RBs have to be part of the solution. We need the right balance of talent at RB and OL to right the ship.

Sadly the Giants have been trying

David Wilson
                    Andre Williams (the Giants had a 1st round grade on him...)
                    Justin Pugh
                    Ereck Flowers
                    Weston Richburg

Lots of attempting to get a RB and OL established but not much succeeding.

in a lot of ways you can trace the current state of affairs for the overall team to the fact that those draft picks were all somewhere between underwhelming to flat out bust.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post

And the OL AND RBs have to be part of the solution. We need the right balance of talent at RB and OL to right the ship.

Sadly the Giants have been trying

David Wilson
                      Andre Williams (the Giants had a 1st round grade on this guy - ....)
                      Justin Pugh
                      Ereck Flowers
                      Weston Richburg

Lots of attempting to get a RB and OL establishes but not much succeeding.

in a lot of ways you can trace the current state of affairs to the fact that those draft picks were all somewhere between underwhelming to flat out bust.
                      My order of explanation goes like this

OL talent..........pathetically soft and marginal technique.
                      FO....................the players suck but it is not totally their fault. We should have never drafted them.
                      Coaching.........why is it that our OL never seems to improve on technique etc?
                      RB...................no real difference makers in the room. They start at average and go down from there.

Comment

FO....................the players suck but it is not totally their fault. We should have never drafted them.
                        RB...................no real difference makers in the room. They start at average and go down from there.
                        Well, thankfully changes have been made in two of those areas already and most likely the other two will be significantly changed by seasons start as well. Somethings gotta give.

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post

Well, thankfully changes have been made in two of those areas already and most likely the other two will be significantly changed by seasons start as well. Somethings gotta give.
                          I am encouraged by how much has changed. Hopefully we continue on the same track through roster cuts, FA, the draft and UDFA.

Comment

RB: "No difference maker". Yet we got people here wanting to pass on a player that's been compared to AP. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

RB: "No difference maker". Yet we got people here wanting to pass on a player that's been compared to AP. Amazing!
                              Whether people think it needs to be Barkley is one thing.

but yes, skimping on RBs because they’re “a dime a dozen” is proven to be part of the recipe to get you a crap running game for 6 years +

It needs to be fixed at all levels

Comment

Working...
                              X