• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoanokeFan
    started a topic Randle Wants A Bigger Role, Seems Ready

Randle Wants A Bigger Role, Seems Ready

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...-appears-ready

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks is one of the keys, if not the biggest key, to the Giants' fate in 2013.

But in a split-second, Rueben Randle could instead become the biggest factor.

We found that out Sunday, when Nicks looked great during individual drills, but then missed the rest of practice after feeling tightness in his groin.

If Nicks goes down during the regular season (as he did last year), Randle becomes a starter, with a lot more responsibility -- something Randle wants regardless.

"I just want to go out there and make more plays," Randle said Sunday, prior to the second practice of training camp. "I think we left a lot of them out there last season that could have at least gotten us into the playoffs and had a chance to go into the Super Bowl. So I feel like we could make up on that and come out this season and make a lot of more plays."

Randle had an up-and-down rookie year with Big Blue after being drafted in the second round out of LSU. Overall, he had just 19 receptions for 288 yards. But he did show flashes of future stardom from time to time. In a Week 5 win over the Browns, he had a season-high six catches for 82 yards. And in the Giants' season-ending victory over the Eagles, he had four catches for 58 yards, including a pair of touchdowns.

Randle said Sunday that he wants to leave his rookie year behind and focus on the future.

"I feel like I've done everything, I can do everything pretty well now," Randle said. "I think I've learned from my mistakes and what I need to really work on, and just exploit those things to really get better overall." Read more...

• speedman
    replied
    Originally posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    This is such nonsense! If Nicks is healthy he will be the 1A/1B receiver! (trying to keep the peace with those that believe Cruz is the go to guy). Nicks will get the ball a ton. Why?? Because Eli and the coaches want to win the SB, and a healthy Hakeem Nicks is one of the biggest pieces to that puzzle. Nicks will determine his own fate this season! That is all...
    A healthy Nicks is our best receiver period.

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied
    Originally posted by Glaw View Post
    a great run if RR can make that jump to MM level or better.

Hopefully he doesn't drop the ball that much, like the didn't get touched fumble that started the second Miracle at the Meadowlands costing us the playoffs that year. I'm thinking Randle is going to be way better than MM.

I am confident of that. MM had more natural athletic explosiveness but RR's football instincts seem much stronger already. He also knows how to use that wide body to his advantage in traffic.

Leave a comment:

• Glaw
    replied
    a great run if RR can make that jump to MM level or better.

Hopefully he doesn't drop the ball that much, like the didn't get touched fumble that started the second Miracle at the Meadowlands costing us the playoffs that year. I'm thinking Randle is going to be way better than MM.

Leave a comment:

• Gimaniac
    replied
    RR ripped a long one over CWeb and Prince in the top 5 from yesterday's camp. Doctor please, some more of these.

Leave a comment:

• nhpgiantsfan
    replied
    Originally posted by rar57 View Post
    in simply throwing or not throwing to him. If Eli gets comfortable with Randle, Nicks may get a disappointing contract this time next year.
    This is such nonsense! If Nicks is healthy he will be the 1A/1B receiver! (trying to keep the peace with those that believe Cruz is the go to guy). Nicks will get the ball a ton. Why?? Because Eli and the coaches want to win the SB, and a healthy Hakeem Nicks is one of the biggest pieces to that puzzle. Nicks will determine his own fate this season! That is all...

Leave a comment:

• B&RWarrior
    replied
    Unless he has a career threatening injury I don't think the situation is comparable to SS. I got a feeling that if he blows up he's gone. Can we tag him next year? I think that would be the best option if he has an injury plagued year. Then if he gets injured again and misses significant time in 2014 you just part ways.

Suppose Nicks misses 4-5 games but come playoff time he is ready to go and comes through like he did in 2011, and we end up going deep into the playoffs or winning it all. RR has a great season. Do you still try to low ball him? Do you let him walk thinking we've got RR?

I say resign him hand keep RR and keep the titles coming. The party will end when RR's rookie contract ends, but man it will be a great run if RR can make that jump to MM level or better.

Leave a comment:

• EliDaMANning
    replied
    Originally posted by Drez View Post
    Now, let's say that there are a few teams that would be willing to over pay for Nicks if he has another injury plagued season. How many more teams would be willing to bid for his services if he plays a full 16 games at 100% Nicks level? So, would us bidding against 4-6 other teams make it more or less likely that we retain him than if there were 10+ teams showing interest, particularly since the teams that are willing to overpay are generally not good franchises?
    the giants will be more reluctant to pay nicks big time money if he has another injury plagued season. It'll be another Steve smith situation where another team comes out of the blue and snatches him away. If Nicks has a monster year, more teams might get involved but the Giants will be in the mix as well.

Leave a comment:

• Roswell
    replied
    Originally posted by jomo View Post
    I don't think any skill player in the NFL is "fully healthy" for more than a few games in a row. If they are, they aren't engaging the play. I am as critical as the next guy for being soft. Canty is my favorite whipping boy. Nicks on the other hand dealt with more than just nicks and dings. He has some serious stuff, broken bones etc. His measure of toughness was that he played through it when others just sat out. I expect he'll be fine.

There was another guy who played for us that had the injury prone label slapped on him early in his career. He too was a warrior like Nicks. The injuries he had were major including a blown out knee, yet people called him fragile. Well his name was Phil Simms and after he got the knee and compound fracture of the thumb behind him, he was one of the most durable quarterbacks of his era. Given his toughness, I think Nicks deserves some more wiggle room.
    Jomo. I love when you make those "sit around the campfire" posts lol.

And you're right. Nicks will do everything possible to be on the field this year. As he does every year.

Leave a comment:

• rar57
    replied
    Eli will determine Nick's fate this season, could make or break the guy

in simply throwing or not throwing to him. If Eli gets comfortable with Randle, Nicks may get a disappointing contract this time next year.

Leave a comment:

• J. Tuck Rule
    replied
    Originally posted by Glaw View Post

Good TEs burn good LBs, they have a field day against ours. I want a killer TE, it's harder to always have to hit receivers like Eli has to do on 3rd down. Ask Brady and Romo and Ryan and so forth how a good TE helps.
    Of course they help. Romo and Ryan havent won with them. But, Brady and Eli won Super Bowls without em.

Leave a comment:

• Glaw
    replied
    If Nicks has another injury plagued year why would you want him even at a reduced price?

woah woah woah nicks is borderline top 10

When healthy I like him as much as anybody, again not named johnson.

TE's burn us because of the poor LBer play in the past few years.

Good TEs burn good LBs, they have a field day against ours. I want a killer TE, it's harder to always have to hit receivers like Eli has to do on 3rd down. Ask Brady and Romo and Ryan and so forth how a good TE helps.

Leave a comment:

• Drez
    replied
    Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
    As well as a man with magical powers.
    I definitely have some magical powers.

Leave a comment:

• Carter.525
    replied
    Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
    As well as a man with magical powers.
    bascially a wizard

Leave a comment:

• Drez
    replied
    Originally posted by Delicreep View Post
    It's a fascinating theory, but the problem is that there are at least a half a dozen teams that routinely overpay for talent, and Nicks would only need one to come his way.
    Now, let's say that there are a few teams that would be willing to over pay for Nicks if he has another injury plagued season. How many more teams would be willing to bid for his services if he plays a full 16 games at 100% Nicks level? So, would us bidding against 4-6 other teams make it more or less likely that we retain him than if there were 10+ teams showing interest, particularly since the teams that are willing to overpay are generally not good franchises?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X