Victor Cruz: Nicks is the number 1 WR.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Diamondring View Post
    Cruz was overpaid. If you looked at last year and how Nicks wasn't himself for majority of that time, Cruz got the right amount of yards he was going to get without another big threat so he got more than what he deserve.
    the "right" amount of yards he was going to get???

what????
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      Well playmaking ability is hard to gauge when you just look at a player's physicality.
      Manningham was a guy who could take a simple play and turn it into a huge one.

But don't get me wrong...I like Randle a lot.
      My observation of Manningham was that for his first 3 years he left a lot of yards on the field, most particularly on sideline passes. It took him nearly his 4 years with the Giants to begin to master that. He had the hands for the most part, and he always had speed. But how many times did he make a rather spectacular catch on either sideline, only to have 1 foot outside the line? (I'm sure Eli missed Toomer on those passes).

That's what made his final--or nearly final?--catch as a Giant, in the biggest play in the biggest game of his life--so deliciously ironic. I was almost as happy for him personally for making that play as I was for Eli and the Giants winning the SB with that play as the set-up for the win.

To me, Randle revealed a good bit of potential by the end of 2012, especially with his physical receiving similarities to Nicks (his use of his body to screen the defender during a reception, in particular) and his hands. It's been gratifying to hear Gilbride's praise for Randle's progress this off season to date.

The passing game should be even more thrilling and fun to watch this year, and may possibly be enhanced by Wilson's receiving if utilized as a receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post
        My observation of Manningham was that for his first 3 years he left a lot of yards on the field, most particularly on sideline passes. It took him nearly his 4 years with the Giants to begin to master that. He had the hands for the most part, and he always had speed. But how many times did he make a rather spectacular catch on either sideline, only to have 1 foot outside the line? (I'm sure Eli missed Toomer on those passes).

That's what made his final--or nearly final?--catch as a Giant, in the biggest play in the biggest game of his life--so deliciously ironic. I was almost as happy for him personally for making that play as I was for Eli and the Giants winning the SB with that play as the set-up for the win.

To me, Randle revealed a good bit of potential by the end of 2012, especially with his physical receiving similarities to Nicks (his use of his body to screen the defender during a reception, in particular) and his hands. It's been gratifying to hear Gilbride's praise for Randle's progress this off season to date.

The passing game should be even more thrilling and fun to watch this year, and may possibly be enhanced by Wilson's receiving if utilized as a receiver.
        I just don't see Manningham that way. When the team was down a bunch of WR's at the end of 2010, he took the #1 role and was one of the few Giants to actually show up, especially against GB.
        The kid can play. He does have a bit of a problem staying on the field though.
        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
          he states a fact that slot recievers are paid/valued less than outside receivers.The only one whining is you pretty much......
          You're right. Him saying that slot receivers (which is what is he is) are underpaid is in no way Cruz saying he is underpaid

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
            You're right. Him saying that slot receivers (which is what is he is) are underpaid is in no way Cruz saying he is underpaid
            he is stating a fact. You made is sound like he was complaining.
            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              I just don't see Manningham that way. When the team was down a bunch of WR's at the end of 2010, he took the #1 role and was one of the few Giants to actually show up, especially against GB.
              The kid can play. He does have a bit of a problem staying on the field though.
              He did step up late 2010 in particular, I agree. I think his two 80+ yard catches vs GB and Wash the following week were the longest receptions in Giants history, until Cruz exceeded that the following December. (And, as opposed to Cruz' 99 yard catch being comprised of 89 YAC--nothing wrong with that--Mario's 2 catches were instances of his outrunning his coverage before catching 40-50 yards-in-the-air passes).

This is not me bashing Mannigham. I liked his talent and enjoyed his game for the most part, and was sorry to see him leave, but that was his choice, so be it. It's satisfying to see that after 1 year without MM, we may actually see an improved WR corp with Randle added to the mix (and Murphy as a possible but unproven wild card).

But there was a reason Mario never attained #1 receiver status unless 1 or 2 receivers ahead of him--regardless if Steve Smith, Smith/Nicks, Nicks, Nicks/Cruz, or Cruz alone--were out with injury. His own fragility was only a part of the reason.

You're not disagreeing with the fact that, in his first 2 complete seasons (2009-10) he did make several key, even spectacular at times, receptions that did not count because he had 1 foot outside the line, are you? That was a knock on him. In fact, even in the SB, the play he was involved in just prior to his spectacular final drive 50 yard sideline reception, he had a similar pass on the opposite sideline which he caught with 1 foot out. It was a signature of his, unfortunately.

Comment

I agree. He was just talking about how slot guys are underappreciated in the league. Hardly a complaint about his contract.
                Those comments are completely benign, and not unreasonable at all.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

I'm just adding it to the "Cruz complains that slot receivers don't make more money" pile.

Comment

I'm just adding it to the "Cruz complains that slot receivers don't make more money" pile.
                    whatever.....

Comment

whatever.....
                      I agree with you. Undervalued doesn't mean underpaid, and he made no reference to his contract whatsoever.
                      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                        I agree with you. Undervalued doesn't mean underpaid, and he made no reference to his contract whatsoever.
                        He's talking about contracts in his quote. Saying that guys should be paid for what they do on the field not the position they line up

Comment

the "right" amount of yards he was going to get???

what????
                          Yeah it doesn't make sense. He got lucky to get 1,000 yards.

Comment

Sounds like he's a little bitter about how he is just being labeled a slot wr, which leads me to believe he is still upset about his contract. I like Cruz but he could've left out the undervalued part, cause it's just not true. Teams do value the slot position but just not as much as a big physical wr on the outside.
                            sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Comment

What Cruz is really saying is that he wanted to be the next Alex Rodriguez of football and break salary record.

My advice to Cruz: PUT UP OR SHUT UP! Since he already put up with the contract, it's time to shut up.

Comment

If you saw the "NFL AM" video in which Cruz was speaking about this today, you would know he was responding directly to a question that specifically asked him in light of the recent trend of teams using the slot more, and in light of Tayon(?) Austin being picked high in 1st rd of 2013 draft, in light of Harvin receiving big contract, in light of Welker's successes, and in spite of his own new contract--did Cruz think that up until now the slot position was undervalued. Not underpaid. Not was he, Cruz, underpaid. But "has the slot position up until recently been undervalued in his opinion?"

Cruz answered that question, and he's not wrong.

It's you're right to assume. Cruz had his own contract negotiation in the back of his mind when he answered the generalized question of course, but you don't have a right to make up the facts.

He did not say that he, or any specific current slot receiver, is underpaid. Saying--in response to a generalized question-- that a position has up until recently been generally "undervalued by the league" is not identical to saying he himself is underpaid.

Gametime is right about your post in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X