Pat Flahety: David Diehl is my starting right tackle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by speedman View Post
    I expect him to start at some point during the year. With a different coaching staff, I would expect him to start the first game. Under any circumstances it's difficult to knock him after 4 days of camp.
    That is realistic only if your team sucks.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
      Please prove that Beatty being out was the reason they won 3 of those 4 games.
      Seems like the general argument is that Diehl sucks, based on a 2012 season where he suffered an injured MCL.

I'm pointing out that he was good enough to help the Giants to win a 2nd Super Bowl with him starting at left tackle back in 2011.

Some people want to evaluate him on a 2012 season, when he was injured in September and played on a bad knee the rest of the season. I think it's more logical to evaluate him based on his entire career.

Again, I'm going to trust the coaching staff on this.....Flaherty is indicating Diehl is the starting right tackle, and frankly I think he knows alot more about Diehl than all his critics.
      Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 07-29-2013, 10:41 PM.
      "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

• Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post
        Originally Posted by sethm Diehl did play well in pass situations but the OL was less than average in the run. Pugh will get a close look no doubtGiants had one of the best run blocking OLs in the league last seasonIs what league was that? Because it wasn't the nfl
        There are two places that evaluate OL performances throughout the league. Footballoutsiders, and profootballfocus.

Footballoutsiders ranks the giants run blocking #2 in the league. (#3 pass blocking)

Profootballfocus ranked them #4 run blocking, and #20 pass blocking.

Now what is your argument for believing the giants were terrible run blocking?

Comment

The last time the #1 pick of the giants was an opening day starter?
          O linemen drafted in round 1 should start.
          Its not the same for many other positions. RT? Definitely should start.
          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

There are two places that evaluate OL performances throughout the league. Footballoutsiders, and profootballfocus.

Footballoutsiders ranks the giants run blocking #2 in the league. (#3 pass blocking)

So these "reliable" sources had a discrepancy of 17 positions in pass blocking?

Doesn't sound so reliable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              O linemen drafted in round 1 should start.
              Its not the same for many other positions. RT? Definitely should start.
              Why is it any different?

And we arent at opening day yet, either. We are three days into training camp. They havent even put pads on yet.

Comment

I think most people look at our abysmal performance on 3rd and short and 4th and short and extrapolate that to being proof of a rotten running game.
                No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

So these "reliable" sources had a discrepancy of 17 positions in pass blocking?

Doesn't sound so reliable.
                  They are based on different criteria. FO does not track hits or hurries. PFF does.

Comment

Why is it any different?

And we arent at opening day yet, either. We are three days into training camp. They havent even put pads on yet.
                    Time will tell.
                    I've heard nothing glowing at all from the coaching staff about Pugh. (except he's "eager to learn")

Comment

• Originally posted by jomo View Post
                      I think most people look at our abysmal performance on 3rd and short and 4th and short and extrapolate that to being proof of a rotten running game.
                      Except the giants were ranked 8th in exactly those plays.

So where people get the delusion they were bad on those?
                      Last edited by slipknottin; 07-29-2013, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Time will tell.
                        I've heard nothing glowing at all from the coaching staff about Pugh. (except he's "eager to learn")
                        Ultimately whether he starts week 1 doesnt matter either. Careers arent decided in the offseason or the first career game.

Comment

They are based on different criteria. FO does not track hits or hurries. PFF does.
                          Regardless of their standards, one had them at #3 (an elite group) the other had them at #20. ( mediocre at best.)

Which is to be believed?

Comment

Regardless of their standards, one had them at #3 (an elite group) the other had them at #20. ( mediocre at best.)

Which is to be believed?
                            Well first off, we were talking about run blocking.

Second off, they both evaluate things differently, one stats based, the other film based

Both concluded the giants had an OL that was top 5 in the league in run blocking.

Comment

Ultimately whether he starts week 1 doesnt matter either. Careers arent decided in the offseason or the first career game.
                              I'm not saying they are. But he was drafted at 19 with no starter at RT on the roster. Now all of the sudden DD is the starter. When I put one and one together, I get two in this case.

Pugh was drafted to start right away and now they seem to think he won't be starting. All supporting my view that he was a reach at 19.
                              I'm sure he'll develop into a starter at some point, but so would a player drafted in later rounds.

Comment

I'm not saying they are. But he was drafted at 19 with no starter at RT on the roster.
                                Um. DD was the starter at RT last season. And he is still on the roster.

And just like all the other giants first round picks, there is always competition at their spot when they get here. They have to prove they are good players before they are handed the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X