Pat Flahety: David Diehl is my starting right tackle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post
    its not reliable.. the giants run blocking was decent at best last year.. all you have to do is watch the games. it was better with locklear in there and Diehl on the bench
    Wrong. The giants had a top 5 run blocking OL by any measurement or observation.

Comment

Diehl was terrible last year. Why does he deserve respect? It looks like father time has caught up with him so at some point he has to realize that.
      Well everyone deserves "respect", but you definitely do not have to like his game anymore. I certainly don't.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
        Diehl wasnt that bad last year. He was serviceable as a starter the second half of last year.
        Do we have more than one Diehl on the roster?

Comment

• Originally posted by jintsfan666 View Post
          Do we have more than one Diehl on the roster?
          Nope. He was brutally bad the two years before. But perhaps he was pretty healthy or he was comfortable at RT. but he wasent as bad as people think there.

Comment

Diehl was terrible last year. Why does he deserve respect? It looks like father time has caught up with him so at some point he has to realize that.
            Webster was terrible too. I guess he should be listed 4th on the depth chart?
            sigpic

Jerry Reese. The Adrien Robinson of GM's.

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
              Nothing is set in stone.....nothing

what TC has said:

Q: How do you think David Diehl can benefit from Justin Pugh pushing him along at right tackle?
              A: David Diehl is a highly motivated guy in the first place and competition always brings out the best, so between the two of them competing and battling away for positions and especially with Brewer in there as well, thatís all good stuff.

Coach Flatherty:

Q: So who is your right tackle?
              A: Right tackle is David Diehl. With Justin Pugh working in at right tackle and thatís what weíre starting out here in training camp. Weíll continue to progress that way. It will work its way out whatever which way itís going to work. Both of them are getting the same amount of reps and we have a lot of confidence in David Diehl. Justin Pugh will get there as he continues to work.

Q: Knowing Justin the way you do, could he be smart enough to start opening day if you needed him? Do you think he could pick it up fast enough?

A: Thatís something I wish I can answer after two practices but maybe after ten or eleven practices, I might give you a little bit better of an idea. I know this, all of our guys in our offensive room are working. When they come to work each and every day, these guys are attentive and they are trying to learn it to the best of their ability. Thatís my job to make sure they do learn it. Maybe the answer is going to be yes. Iíd like to wait a couple weeks to tell you that, but if youíre asking me now, you better be ready.

Q: I know it is just such a sample, but what has Justin shown? Ö

A: We havenít put pads on. I want to see him in pads. Right now heís done the best he can do. Heís shown that he is the reason that we drafted himÖ a good solid football player. Iím anxious to get the pads on and then we will know a little bit more.
              thanx GT. appreciate the info, good post.

Comment

• Wrong. The giants had a top 5 run blocking OL by any measurement or observation
                the numbers clearly state that your wrong. your observation is skewed by giants colored glasses

Comment

• Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                  My point is, in terms of cap dollars. It's the same as having a guy here getting paid 3.12 mil in base salary. So they are spending the cap dollars on him equivalent to what a starting RT would get

Most of the coaches have said it was a competition. That he said Diehl is still the starter after a day of training camp isn't surprising. Diehl was the starter last year. It's always the case of the new guy having to beat out the veteran. Not sure why you want it just handed over without Pugh having to prove he can play at this level first
                  I don't want to hand it to anyone. I have said for months that I would have preferred our getting a solid vet in FA to play RT. We have a lot of other pieces in place on this offense this year. But this is the position that the FO has put us in. The Pugh pick was an act of desperation in my view since we had no real starting RT on the roster. This statement may show that it may not pay off. We'll see.

I'm concerned that a vet with declining skills or an untested rookie at RT with enable defenses to exploit that weakness in our O line.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    I never said anything was set in stone. I do say that I see a red flag right now.
                    you saw a red flag from draft day.....so no news there
                    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

why does he deserve respect??
                      if you dont know the answer to that then you are not a football fan let alone a Giants fan....

which I know you are both so you just sound ignorant
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

the numbers clearly state that your wrong. your observation is skewed by giants colored glasses
                        What numbers? The overall rushing numbers?

Those are skewing the opinion of everyone who evaluates these things?

The overall rushing numbers couldn't have possibly been skewed by the giants having no consistent healthy backs all season?

FO evaluates run blocking on things like "stuffs" (runs for no gain or a loss) or "power" (runs on 3rd or 4th down and short yardage success rate of picking up the first down or TD).

And PFF evaluates by the movement the blockers generate and the holes there are to run through. If the OL makes a huge hole but the back trips and falls that isn't negative blocking

You just can't believe what the actual data of both the per run success rate and the film study tell you. Preferring to judge based off how successful the HB who is still too injured to play did, plus the guy with the broken leg, plus a rookie who didn't get that many carries

I would say if anyone has a very skewed opinion, it's yours.

And in any case. What numbers are you even looking at?

The giants were 7th in yards per carry, 14th in rushing yards per game, and 5th in rushing TDs
                        Last edited by slipknottin; 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          I don't want to hand it to anyone. I have said for months that I would have preferred our getting a solid vet in FA to play RT. We have a lot of other pieces in place on this offense this year. But this is the position that the FO has put us in. The Pugh pick was an act of desperation in my view since we had no real starting RT on the roster. This statement may show that it may not pay off. We'll see.

I'm concerned that a vet with declining skills or an untested rookie at RT with enable defenses to exploit that weakness in our O line.
                          I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed if the kid isn't good enough to start. I expect a first round pick to start, but Wilson-last year's 1st round pick didn't start and I consider him to have a way higher celing, so it's not the end of the world. Though to be honest, there is a difference in expectations between pick 19 and pick 32, IMO.
                          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to ďbeat the market,Ē no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasnít stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

• Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
                            I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed if the kid isn't good enough to start. I expect a first round pick to start, but Wilson-last year's 1st round pick didn't start and I consider him to have a way higher celing, so it's not the end of the world. Though to be honest, there is a difference in expectations between pick 19 and pick 32, IMO.
                            Eli didnt start.....just saying....

Comment

• For the life of me, I can never figure out why there is so much hate for certain players like DD and Webby. neither had a very good season last year, bet then again, neither did the team as a whole. Both were injured and played through injury. On a related note, I also can never figure ouit why so many people think they know better than the FO or coaching staff when it comes to personnel decisions. PF and TC will evaluate all of the linemen and start the ones they think give the team the best chance to win. This idea that they will start DD instead of Pugh based upon some personal bias that is not performance related is just silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                                For the life of me, I can never figure out why there is so much hate for certain players like DD and Webby. neither had a very good season last year, bet then again, neither did the team as a whole. Both were injured and played through injury. On a related note, I also can never figure ouit why so many people think they know better than the FO or coaching staff when it comes to personnel decisions. PF and TC will evaluate all of the linemen and start the ones they think give the team the best chance to win. This idea that they will start DD instead of Pugh based upon some personal bias that is not performance related is just silly.
                                I agree with what you say...
                                but people will inisist that its just their opnion. Also why cant JR make a mistake. Which is all well and good.
                                But I am one that respects players even if they play poorly but give it all they have. I believe this with DD and Webster.
                                These guys give 100%. If thats not godd enough then so be it but theyr certainly arent slacking.

Comment

Working...
                                X