Pat Flahety: David Diehl is my starting right tackle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
    It's gotten to the point where if Eli gets any time to pass on 3rd and longs it's a relief. It feels like he has an eternity back there when he gets some time to pass (which is roughly 5% of his drop backs).

DD has no business starting in the NFL let alone on the Giants. Looks like the stubborn old dinosaurs with headsets are already going back to their old school prehistoric ways. And the season hasn't even started yet.
    and yet you have it figured out that they want DD to start.
    The OL coach said that becuase as of now DD starts by defualt.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by NYGabriel View Post
      Locklear was on $890,000 last year and everyone wanted him to be the starter.
      good observation
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
        I have been one of DD's biggest boosters here. But its clear that his skills are in decline, healthy or not.
        But my points isn't about MY opinion of DD. Its the FO's opinion. To demand that he take that kind of huge paycut, tells me that they did not foresee him as a starter. Its seems clear that they saw him as a versatile back up. Then they reach for Justin Pugh in the draft.

Now they are making statements about him as the starter. When I put 2 and 2 together, I get the distinct impression that they are, up to now, disappointed in Justin Pugh.
        I think it's way to early to be disappointed with Pugh. If anything, I read Flaherty's statement as meaning a rookie isn't just going to take Diehl's job by showing up on the practice field.
        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

They have to make it seem like pugh has to earn it. A joUrneyman vet min player outplayed diehl last year. Lets be real here folks

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
            what a horse**** statement. An indictment that they blew the pick a few days into camp and after OTAs???
            Come MH....thats even a "reach" for you. I know you dont like the pick but lets not put words in the coach's mouth that are ridiculous.
            There is no way that if they were pumped about Pugh's performance in mini camps, they would have "declared" DD as the starter.
            It would have been a statement suggesting an open competition.
            I can't get inside his head, but it seems reasonable to suggest that they can't be thinking along those lines.

In other words, if they saw something impressive in Pugh at this point, PF would have never made that statement.

Lets all wait and see if this kid will develop. But I admit I hated the pick and this statement doesn't help to change my view.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
              They have to make it seem like pugh has to earn it. A joUrneyman vet min player outplayed diehl last year. Lets be real here folks
              Diehl injured his MCL in September....that's how Locklear got the start......Diehl took over when Locklear blew out his own knee.

In a perfect world, Diehl should have been rehabbing his knee. I'm not going to blame him that guys like Brewer weren't ready to step up. Instead, an injured Diehl starts and people are on his *** about it, when they should be harshing on Reese for failing to stock the line a couple years ago when it was emerging as an issue.
              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                Diehl injured his MCL in September....that's how Locklear got the start......Diehl took over when Locklear blew out his own knee.

In a perfect world, Diehl should have been rehabbing his knee. I'm not going to blame him that guys like Brewer weren't ready to step up. Instead, an injured Diehl starts and people are on his *** about it, when they should be harshing on Reese for failing to stock the line a couple years ago when it was emerging as an issue.
                It seems to me that they were more than willing to release DD if he didn't take a pay cut. There is no reason for him to take that cut unless it was clear to him that he would no longer be a Giant if he didn't.
                It all points to a disappointment in Pugh to this point. As I said..."to this point".

Comment

IMO all this means is that Pugh isn't going to be handed anything just because he is a 1st round pick. On the flip side, It's also not the first time DD was given a starting job without merit by our coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                    IMO all this means is that Pugh isn't going to be handed anything just because he is a 1st round pick. On the flip side, It's also not the first time DD was given a starting job without merit by our coaches.
                    Lets be careful here...DD IS a great Giant.
                    I just think his skills are diminishing. Which is a head scratcher with this O line coach's comments.

Comment

It seems to me that they were more than willing to release DD if he didn't take a pay cut. There is no reason for him to take that cut unless it was clear to him that he would no longer be a Giant if he didn't.It all points to a disappointment in Pugh to this point. As I said..."to this point".
                      I hate the pick too, but I don't think what flaherty really means anything at all.

Comment

It seems to me that they were more than willing to release DD if he didn't take a pay cut. There is no reason for him to take that cut unless it was clear to him that he would no longer be a Giant if he didn't.
                        It all points to a disappointment in Pugh to this point. As I said..."to this point".
                        Every team needs to reshuffle the deck to clear cap space, and an older vet like Diehl is a good example of that.

He had a high cap space hit, and was coming off a subpar season that included an MCL injury. So, I can understand why he would need to restructure.

He's also a 2 time SB champion, and was good enough to start at left tackle for both games.

Comment

Diehl injured his MCL in September....that's how Locklear got the start......Diehl took over when Locklear blew out his own knee. In a perfect world, Diehl should have been rehabbing his knee. I'm not going to blame him that guys like Brewer weren't ready to step up. Instead, an injured Diehl starts and people are on his *** about it, when they should be harshing on Reese for failing to stock the line a couple years ago when it was emerging as an issue.
                          Right, all I said is that locklear outplayed diehl.

Comment

Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
                            Right, all I said is that locklear outplayed diehl.
                            Right, Locklear outplayed a guy with an injured MCL.

Comment

Right, Locklear outplayed a guy with an injured MCL.
                              Glad that's settled. What's diehl's excuse for being, arguably, the worst starting OL in the league in 2010 and 2011

Comment

All I know is, if pugh isn't good enough to a start from day 1(barring injuries), my opinion of reese will drastically change.

Comment

Working...
                                X