Roster Turnaround / Culture Turnaround

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roster Turnaround / Culture Turnaround

We all know we can likely get this roster turned over relatively quickly with the talent we do have, but can we fix the locker room in an even shorter time? I know winning disguises everything but say we go 6-10. Can we get a team of guys that won't implode like last season? We'll have to make sure each signing isn't just a quality player but a quality person.

Does it really matter? Seriously...If a team is that bad and is out of the playoffs, does it really matter if they are good enough to win a few extra games. I think it's actually better to implode. One winning a few games can mask bigger issues (I think this happened with some of TC teams that kept playing hard) and two it reduces the draft pick. I guess the exception is what happened to SF. So, if they are bad again, but start a you QB that turns the team around, that's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
      Does it really matter? Seriously...If a team is that bad and is out of the playoffs, does it really matter if they are good enough to win a few extra games. I think it's actually better to implode. One winning a few games can mask bigger issues (I think this happened with some of TC teams that kept playing hard) and two it reduces the draft pick. I guess the exception is what happened to SF. So, if they are bad again, but start a you QB that turns the team around, that's a different story.
      Good point, if we won a few more games and kept Ben and nobody went crazy. We'd probably be in big trouble for a while.

Comment

Let me ask you something:

Why in 2016 did the Giants go 11-5 and have the #2 Defense in the NFL with a rookie HC, then, with almost the exact same personnel, in 2017 went 3-13 with the last ranked Defense?

No, injuries (while they didn't help) are not the answer because the Giants were on the road to that record anyway.

So....why?

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Why in 2016 did the Giants go 11-5 and have the #2 Defense in the NFL with a rookie HC, then, with almost the exact same personnel, in 2017 went 3-13 with the last ranked Defense?

No, injuries (while they didn't help) are not the answer because the Giants were on the road to that record anyway.

So....why?
          We can rack our brains over this, come up with a few theories - but the one thing that separates the two levels of play and moral is... that failure of a showing in G.B..

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

We can rack our brains over this, come up with a few theories - but the one thing that separates the two levels of play and moral is... that failure of a showing in G.B..
            So are you saying the no show in GB affected the culture and general moral of the team?
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

So are you saying the no show in GB affected the culture and general moral of the team?
              I'm pointing out an event that separated the two different levels of play. And as you well know, I wasn't thrilled with the attitude and actions that followed into the next preseason. Not the way a team bounces back.

Comment

So....why?
                In 2017 I saw defenders giving up on plays more so than guys getting after it and gang tackling.

On the other side, I saw more of that quick strike crap and punt offense that sucks the life out of a team.

Comment

So....why?
                  Eli?...

The offense wasn that good in in 2016. They averaged 20 points per game. The D carried the team. Well in 2017 the D got banged, got tired, and played poorly. So the offense, while, it still stunk, showed its true colors. Mix that with injury, ****ty STs, poor performnce by most of the players on offense, poor coaching and there you have it.
                  Last edited by GameTime; 03-07-2018, 09:40 AM.
                  "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

So....why?
                    Just my opinion but...2016 was idiots first year as a HC. I'm going to say he kept his fat fingers out of the defense and let spags run it. The defense carried the team.

2017 another year of a putrid offense. The defense started to get fed up with having to carry the team. Idiot in his second year started to meddle in the defense and give them "ideas" on how to improve. Players started giving up because they were tired of the offense being crap and playing for a coach who looks like he has people locked in his basement.

Comment

GT and jw:

Agreed.

Which is why I have hope that Shurmur will turn it around.
                      "No...I didn't."

Comment

Originally posted by jwhorner6 View Post

Just my opinion but...2016 was idiots first year as a HC. I'm going to say he kept his fat fingers out of the defense and let spags run it. The defense carried the team.

2017 another year of a putrid offense. The defense started to get fed up with having to carry the team. Idiot in his second year started to meddle in the defense and give them "ideas" on how to improve. Players started giving up because they were tired of the offense being crap and playing for a coach who looks like he has people locked in his basement.
                        I agree with this. My opinion is the 11-5 record went to Mac's head and his reaction created rifts in the team.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhorner6 View Post

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

+1
                            +2

The offense got worse and kept putting the defense in terrible positions. I don't think we are that far off on the defensive end of things.

Comment

GT and jw:

Agreed.

Which is why I have hope that Shurmur will turn it around.
                              and Gettleman
                              "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Working...
                              X