Feeling like Debbie Downer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling like Debbie Downer

Last year like most people on this forum I was incredibly optimistic for the upcoming season coming off an 11-5 year. This year going into free agency and the draft, coming off a 3-13 season I feel 100% the opposite and I hate it. Here are the reasons why if anyone cares.

Negatives

1. We have a 37 year old mediocre quarterback who looks in decline, backed up by a 3rd round draft pick who has never taken a snap in the league.
    2. We have a garbage offensive line, which will probably have at least 3 new starters, hopefully an improvement.
    3. A mediocre running game that needs upgrading over 2 mid range draft picks and a free agent
    4. Modest cap space
    5. the fewest picks in the upcoming draft of all the teams in the league, 5 to improve with
    6. 1 linebacker of significance on the roster
    7. a mess at cornerback with Apple acting like a jerk and Jenkins mailing it in last year and now no DRC who was mediocre last year
    8. Beckham certainly acting like jerk and maybe being suspended and or demanding $100mm new contract.

Positives

1. the number 2 pick in the draft
    2. Landon Collins, Engram, Sheppard, Harrison, Tomlinson, Ogletree, Beckham(if he plays), maybe one of Vernon/JPP, potentially Jenkins if his head is on straight.

I am an old guy, whose all time favorite player is YA Tittle. I lived through the dark years of the 60s and 70s who made it to Pasadena to see our first Super Bowl win.

We have had 6 pretty mediocre years in a row, save one and I really don't want to go back to the dark days ever

Yea and the Browns have made a ton of moves and have a ton of high picks in the draft as well as 107 M in Cap Space

All we can do is hope DG makes the most out of the Cap Space and Draft Picks he has. This is not a one year rebuild unfortunately
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
    But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
    4-New York Giants!!!
    5-NE
    Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Going 3-13 can do that. Especially since they went 11-5 the season before and we had such high hopes. Total let down.

It could be much worse though. Mara could have given Reese and Bowel Movement another to "turn it around"

I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
        Yea and the Browns have made a ton of moves and have a ton of high picks in the draft as well as 107 M in Cap Space

All we can do is hope DG makes the most out of the Cap Space and Draft Picks he has. This is not a one year rebuild unfortunately
        Yes. Everybody needs to realize that. It's going to be a rebuild.
        I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

Originally posted by FBomb View Post

Yes. Everybody needs to realize that. It's going to be a rebuild.
          I think a lot of people have the misconception that because they Are going to go with Eli that they are somehow going to try and fix the mess and win now. I don't see it. I see several years of great drafts and the right key FA signings before this team could be a serious contender again.
          Football has been very, very good to us.
          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
          4-New York Giants!!!
          5-NE
          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by coachf14 View Post
            Last year like most people on this forum I was incredibly optimistic for the upcoming season coming off an 11-5 year. This year going into free agency and the draft, coming off a 3-13 season I feel 100% the opposite and I hate it. Here are the reasons why if anyone cares.

Negatives

1. We have a 37 year old mediocre quarterback who looks in decline, backed up by a 3rd round draft pick who has never taken a snap in the league.
            2. We have a garbage offensive line, which will probably have at least 3 new starters, hopefully an improvement.
            3. A mediocre running game that needs upgrading over 2 mid range draft picks and a free agent
            4. Modest cap space
            5. the fewest picks in the upcoming draft of all the teams in the league, 5 to improve with
            7. a mess at cornerback with Apple acting like a jerk and Jenkins mailing it in last year and now no DRC who was mediocre last year
            8. Beckham certainly acting like jerk and maybe being suspended and or demanding $100mm new contract.

Positives

2. Landon Collins, Engram, Sheppard, Harrison, Tomlinson, Ogletree, Beckham(if he plays), maybe one of Vernon/JPP, potentially Jenkins if his head is on straight.

I am an old guy, whose all time favorite player is YA Tittle. I lived through the dark years of the 60s and 70s who made it to Pasadena to see our first Super Bowl win.

We have had 6 pretty mediocre years in a row, save one and I really don't want to go back to the dark days ever
            We have to win more then 3 games next year! I believe its win now, otherwise Eli wouldn't have stayed. Barkley is a great pick for the win now and future. But the Eagles are even better next year and will reap many high draft picks if they trade Foley!
            Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

I think a lot of people have the misconception that because they Are going to go with Eli that they are somehow going to try and fix the mess and win now. I don't see it. I see several years of great drafts and the right key FA signings before this team could be a serious contender again.
              It is modern NFL. Every team tries to win every year. There is no such thing as a rebuild anymore. This is not baseball where you trade a bunch minor league prospects for an old pitcher at the trade deadline in hopes of making one last run. Even if we go with a rookie QB we will still try to win this year and his first year as a starter we will try to win one as well.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by bigjeep View Post

We have to win more then 3 games next year! I believe its win now, otherwise Eli wouldn't have stayed.
                What would he have done instead? Retire?

Comment

in the NFL it's easy to turn it around quick - look at the Eagles. Giants have a solid core where a quick turn around isnt out of the question. But they can do this and rebuild at the same time. They can draft a QB at 2 and still compete this year.

Comment

We all knew change was coming and change is often painful. The previous F/O left us with their failures and it will take time to re-establish a winning culture. That said, as the OP pointed out, there is a lot of reasons for optimism as well. Ill be interested to see if by this time next year we look like a team whos turned the page and is ready to make a push.

Comment

Originally posted by coachf14 View Post

Negatives

4. Modest cap space

Positives

Sometimes curbing your enthusiasm is the best way to think. Having high expectations can definitely set you up for straight failure. I think your concerns are legit and are things we all share. I would add an additional positive to your list though. I think the locker room is going to be a complete 180 from last year and with the talent that we have on this team that could be an extremely positive thing!

Comment

I don't see us passing on Darnold or Barkley, so I think we stay put at #2. If so, and even if not, we need to trade down as often as possible rounds 2-5. Having the #2 pick in each round is valuable, and teams will want to move up. Hopefully DG can come out of this draft with 7-10 picks.
                        NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
                        Garrett Bolles - OT
                        David Njoku - TE
                        Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

I said last year before the season as excited and optimistic as I was, I dont ever remember a single year where preseason expectations were for the Giants to be one of the teams to beat where we WERENT one of the worst. This year in a weird way I feel like things should be better, much better and not just because we can really go no where but up from here. More because everyone in this organization should and likely will have something to prove. Unlike many of the previous recent years going all the way back to the coughlin days, no one is safe. Everyone is feeling the pressure to perform.

that said, I am cautiously optimistic. I think we will be competitive this year.

Comment

If you want to feel optimistic remember that leadership in the FO and on the coaching staff counts for a lot.
                            I am certain we will be better.
                            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Also a 37 year old Eli is NOT the same as a 37 year old Brett farce for example. He is not as mobile (which isnt saying much) but his mechanics and knowledge of the game are far superior than they were back in 2008. Not only has Eli not taken the beating most qbs take throughout their career but hes hungry. Hes got plenty of gas left.

Comment

Working...
                              X