You're absolutely clueless if you think the Giants should trade Odell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're absolutely clueless if you think the Giants should trade Odell

Sorry to be blunt, but that's the cold hard truth. Odell is a future HOFer and will go down as one of, if not the best, WRs in NFL history. There is no player like him in the NFL that takes a 5 yard slant route and turns it into a 50 yard TD sprint. There is no player like him that makes the freakishly athletic catches that he makes. There is no player like him that simply dominates great CBs and can take over a game with ease. It's a shame that due to one year of injury, a bunch of Giants fans have simply forgotten what we have in this player. He is special, and you don't trade special players.

Does Odell come with some baggage? Sure he does. He sometimes celebrates in dumb ways that cost us penalties or gets too amped up to the point where he goes nuts. And yes, he has his off-the-field issues at times, but let me share a little secret with you guys that clearly a lot of you need to know.

Read carefully: the majority of players in this league and other sports leagues are doing what you saw Odell do in the video. And a lot more players do worse! Sorry, but that's the truth. Was it dumb for Odell to be seen on camera? Yes. But if you think he's the lone guy out there doing this stuff, then you are lying to yourself.

He is the best player on the Giants, by a mile. And you want to trade him? lol. You don't trade your best player. Especially one that single-handedly wins us games and acts as our entire offense.

When Odell takes a slant route to the house in Week 1 and then has 200 yards receiving in Week 2, I'm confident the "trade Odell" crowd will quiet down very quickly.

Originally posted by NYG9289 View Post
    Sorry to be blunt, but that's the cold hard truth.
    The hard cold truth is: this is a very poor attempt at baiting!

Comment

Good post, 100000% correct.

Comment

I do not want him traded . To say he is not expendable is not a given.
        "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

When Odell takes a slant route to the house in Week 1 and then has 200 yards receiving in Week 2, I'm confident the "trade Odell" crowd will quiet down very quickly.
          No, they wonít. Posterís feelings trump reality every time.

Comment

We could trade Odell for several draft picks, and be almost guaranteed to not come close to replacing the production he gives us on the field.

He's a nut-job, I don't dispute that. But I don't see how anyone thinks he hurts us more than he helps. Just because YOU don't like him, does not mean his teammates don't. He shows up to work and plays hard, so I don't know what we are trying to do here.

The cap space is available, and we will soon have a rookie QB on a rookie deal so can afford the price tag. He's a top 5/10 player in the NFL, you don't give up on that talent unless it is obvious he is destroying the locker room, which I don't believe he is.

Comment

Of course your statement is 100% wrong unless you have a consideration of what you would get in return. If you get 2 #1 picks and a #2, maybe that would be worth it. THEN it depends how those players pan out. So you can't say it wouldn't be worth it unless you know what they get in return.

Lets see how he has recovered from his injury this year before we judge his future value. Based on his past he could be the best WR ever.

Would you rather have a future HOF or a Super Bowl win? Lets hope if we choose Odell its doesn't cost us the latter. At some point you have to view NFL history and wonder if he becomes a better T.O. And you know how many rings the great HOF T.O. has. At some point you realize perception is reality. When the owner has to remind you to "Act like a Professional Player", maybe there is an issue. Lets be honest there are two sides to Odell, his talent and his ego. Its a Bavaro vs Shockey thing. Both great Giant TEs. They chose different paths. Which player you prefer is based on what you like when you watch football. Until...UNTIL Odell performs in the Post Season and/or gets a ring- all that talent is just potential. We have lost with him and won some with him. Until he wins.....people will judge him by how he acts in social media.

Comment

Then label me clueless.....

Comment

Sorry to be blunt, but that's the cold hard truth. Odell is a future HOFer and will go down as one of, if not the best, WRs in NFL history.
                  had to stop reading right there....

with the path he is carving out for himself he may not make it. He isnt doing anything morally or ethically terrible but he is looking like a jerk, embarrassing the franchise, putting a self inflicted target on his own back.

While I am not one that wants to trade him(yet) I can see an extremely possible scenario where he never gets close to his potential.

I truly hope that doesnt happen and I hope he is a NYG for a long time, with a great career, and a couple of SBs too.

Fortunately and unfortunately that is up to him.
                  "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

lol hes never gotten in an ounce of trouble off the field, this is all manufactured BS.

Meanwhile theres guys all over the league with arrest records and not a peep about them.

Comment

Iím more interested in how the Giants are going to build an effective Oline and get a consistent running game going again. Also how they plan on bringing back Giant toughness, class, pride and winning.

Until they accomplish that, Odel can continue to be a fun circus show for some young fans who are entertained by one handed catches, a media phenomenon who transforms himself from a human into a dog who pees on his own teamís home turf.

Barry Sanders was perhaps one of the greatest RBs in the history of the NFL, Marino one of the best passers of the ball. Two players who never won a ring for their franchises. Until the Giants make it back to a playoff game and Odel puts the team on his shoulders and carries them to a SB victory, to me he will be the guy who dropped great passes and a sure TD in a playoff game against the Packers after partying on a boat.

Finally, if he is paid what his over inflated ego tells him he is worth $20M per year) he will keep the Giants in cap hell for years to come and he will be a talented regular season WR on a really crappy team. If he doesnít get what he wants, I fear his act will become ten times worse and he will become a cancer on his team.

A massive ego, over inflated sense of self worth, lack of maturity and class will overshadow God-given talent all day long and twice on Sunday! Football is a team game.

Comment

yeah yeah but Odell makes great catches!

Comment

Does Odell come with some baggage? Sure he does. He sometimes celebrates in dumb ways that cost us penalties or gets too amped up to the point where he goes nuts. And yes, he has his off-the-field issues at times, but let me share a little secret with you guys that clearly a lot of you need to know.
                          To me its a very simple issue. Yes OBJ could be one of the greats if he grew up and stopped the nonsense. Its been 4 years now and he has not changed one iota.

Teams with personalities like OBJ do not win. Let's look at Terril Owens. A freak at wr in his prime but he could not stop the nonsense on the field and off. He ruined the culture of 3 teams, San Fran, dallas(good), and Philly(good).

Just because he is a great talent doesnt make him a good fit. And I for one on the team I watch dont want head cases. You dont need OBJ to win a championship, you need a well balanced team who battle for each other. Not glory hounds who only give a **** about the wallet, endorsements and himself.

Look at the big picture, the team. Do you want to win or do you want to watch a head case like OBJ put up his stats and take up a huge part of the cap. I dont want the wrs on my team to be the highest paid player. QBs, DEs, OT come first.

So Id trade him now for a great draft package. No player is irreplacable.

If between now and before the draft, he has a revalation, comes to camp, cuts his hair(as a sign of maturing), becomes a full time football player and decides not to break the bank with the Giants then I'd welcome him back to the team with open arms. But if not I will never look at him as a player I want on my favorite team.

Comment

OBJ is a nutcase.

Yes, he has uber talent but...he's a nutcase.

I'm for trading him.
                            "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Youíre 100% clueless to not listen to offers for him. Heís asking for a lot of money, repeatedly shows heís dumb, and WR donít carry teams. Theyíre only really as good as their system or the guy getting him the ball. Nobody debates his talent and I donít think anyone is demanding a trade, but looking at the next 5 years whatís better: a huge contract for a headcase WR or the return he brings and money spent elsewhere?? Itís not as simple as some think.

Comment

Working...
                              X