Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too good of a deal to pass up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

    29 is aging? Wow. 7 fingered? But yet, I hear people talking that a 1 handed LBer is gonna beast in the NFL this yr, right? But a guy missing 2.5 digits is washed up? I bet the Bucs don't use him for 92% of their snaps & he gets 10-12 sacks this yr with at least 3 coming against us when we play them.
    In nfl terms yes, 29 is aging. Considering the avg player coming out of college is 21/22 and the avg career is around 3 years. I don't know much about that one handed line backer it's a good story yes. I watched jpp play up close 6 times this year, no one can tell me that his hand affected his play. Why anyone thought he was worth top ten dline money was beyond me.
    [SIGPIC]

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

      think given his age and that he is a good player but not elite they picked the right one to move,like the idea of getting picks for our older vets.
      Had to do it.
      The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by TEM View Post

        Had to do it.
        yes will miss JPP but they needed to start clearing out some of these contracts and that might have been there best and only chance to get something in return.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

          In nfl terms yes, 29 is aging. Considering the avg player coming out of college is 21/22 and the avg career is around 3 years. I don't know much about that one handed line backer it's a good story yes. I watched jpp play up close 6 times this year, no one can tell me that his hand affected his play. Why anyone thought he was worth top ten dline money was beyond me.
          Since his hand thing he has not been explosive and its been a nice drop off. Against the run still solid but for the Giant to get that contract cleared up was big. He as you said was not top 10 money player. At 29 the Giants IMO got a very good deal especially with a new DC coming in.
          sigpic

          LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

            yes will miss JPP but they needed to start clearing out some of these contracts and that might have been there best and only chance to get something in return.
            I wanted him to play every snap as a Giant. I did not want to see him go. The team needed to move on from that contract.
            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

            Comment


            • #66
              The bucs used a 2nd round pick on one of the worst kickers to ever kick.. he may have been able to squeeze a 2nd out of them.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post
                The bucs used a 2nd round pick on one of the worst kickers to ever kick.. he may have been able to squeeze a 2nd out of them.
                One of the best kickers in college but sucks under NFL pressure you mean. The 4th round swap in the trade deal I think was the Giants trying to sweeten to deal to make it happen. They were clearly not getting a 2nd rounder for JPP. It's borderline delusional for a DE that has finished around 30th in sacks for the past two seasons.
                Last edited by BigBlueAllDay; 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by TEM View Post

                  I wanted him to play every snap as a Giant. I did not want to see him go. The team needed to move on from that contract.
                  Agree on all of that would have been nice to see him finish his career with our Giants,but sometimes the cap just won't permit things to go the way we would like them to.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by big blue dog View Post

                    Agree on all of that would have been nice to see him finish his career with our Giants,but sometimes the cap just won't permit things to go the way we would like them to.
                    i agree.
                    The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

                      One of the best kickers in college but sucks under NFL pressure you mean. The 4th round swap in the trade deal I think was the Giants trying to sweeten to deal to make it happen. They were clearly not getting a 2nd rounder for JPP. It's borderline delusional for a DE that has finished around 30th in sacks for the past two seasons.
                      Being considered one of the best kickers in college doesnt mean anything.. he is and was horrible with a flaw in his mechanics.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post

                        Being considered one of the best kickers in college doesnt mean anything.. he is and was horrible with a flaw in his mechanics.
                        There's transition that many players can't make from college to the Pro's. What's the failure rate of Heisman winners in the NFL? It's probably in majority when you have a list of winners including Manziel, Tebow, Leinart, etc...and of course Ron Dayne. Yes, being the best in college does not mean the player will have any success in the NFL.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I think the big message the JPP trade sends to all players is that they should be careful about squeezing teams for the big contract because they may actually be squeezing themselves off the team.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Great trade. We needed Salary cap release and he never should have gotten that money in the first place
                            Long Live the King

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by LakeO Giant fan View Post
                              Many good posts on both sides of the debate. Here's my take. When you factor in the wear and tear, becoming injury prone, up and down in motivation, lessening of an impact in pass rush, change in defensive philosophy and of course the enormous salary dedicated to him it is no wonder this trade happened. Its just DG doing his job. As the players say as they wave goodbye, its a business. A business where salary cap strategies must me implemented not only for the now, but the future. It was a brilliant move, BUT, I do appreciate JPPs contribution to the 2011 Championship season. They simply do not win it without his contributions down the stretch. I'm also proud to be a Giants fan for the way they stuck by him despite him threatening holdouts even before the accident. They gave him another shot that not a lot of teams would have. I will pull for him unless it impacts NYG. Good luck JPP
                              Well said, LOG. Got it in one.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post

                                One of the best kickers in college but sucks under NFL pressure you mean. The 4th round swap in the trade deal I think was the Giants trying to sweeten to deal to make it happen. They were clearly not getting a 2nd rounder for JPP. It's borderline delusional for a DE that has finished around 30th in sacks for the past two seasons.
                                JPP finished 17th in sacks among DEs in each of the last 2 seasons. He finished tied for 11th best among ALL D Lineman in total tackles in 2016, and 4th best among ALL D Linemen in total tackles in 2017. Wearing a club on his bad hand the final 2-3 games.

                                Not a top 10 in sacks, sure enough, but not nearly close to the bottom as you claim. I swear, I have no understanding why there are always a few Giants fans who feel irrationally and hysterically compelled to trash a player on the way out, regardless of the contribution from said player while a Giant.

                                Tis a puzzlement.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X