Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you "build around" a 37 year old exactly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G1.. View Post
    Yes , look at it name the one team there with a two time super bowl" WINNING"QB on there roster...........I'll wait. While were at it name which one of those teams all so had the exact .....yes exact situation that Eli played with last year ,none of those QB's played in the "perfect storm" offense know as the Giants,no O line, no, run game and no receivers!
    Phil Simms was awesome in the 86 SB. He just got fired from his broadcasting job a year ago. Maybe we ought to sign him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post
      Even if Eli does have "at least two years " left, which I personally doubt, why would you not want to pick his successor when you have a chance to draft in the top two like this? I just don't get the thinking. I don't see how anyone can have truly high conviction that Webb is a worthy successor. Nobody on this board can, and I would argue the team can't either since they have barely even seen him play in the preseason, let alone in the regular season.I just think it makes no sense to take a QB, and I have yet to hear a convincing argument that it does. Eli has been very bad the last two years. Sure, you can blame it all on the O line if you want to, but he is not the first QB to play behind a bad line. His performance was bad in spite of that. And it has been going on for two seasons. Why would he all of a sudden be good at age 37-40? Why would you not want to secure a future QB with this opportunity?
      Itís not ďbuilding around a 37 year oldĒ,when all the holes the Giants needed to address....the OLine, D, Sp. Teams, running game, are being built for the benefit of Eli and whomever ends up taking the reigns from Eli!
      Gettleman isnít building around a 37 year old QB so much as heís rebuilding FOR the Giantsí STARTING QB...be it Eli or his successor.
      The roster needed fixing regardless of who is under center!
      As for Webb, (as a poster showed in another thread) his college numbers are as good as any of the four hotshots coming out next month, so why take yet another QB, when you said it yourself, that nobody knows what Webb can do?
      With numbers on par with this ďfab fourĒ, Webb has as good a chance as them of being Eliís successor, and heís already on the roster.
      I donít understand the thinking of wasting a number Two pick on a guy to sit for a year or even two...... Again!
      Last edited by bigblue58; 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM.
      "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

Even if Eli does have "at least two years " left, which I personally doubt, why would you not want to pick his successor when you have a chance to draft in the top two like this? I just don't get the thinking. I don't see how anyone can have truly high conviction that Webb is a worthy successor. Nobody on this board can, and I would argue the team can't either since they have barely even seen him play in the preseason, let alone in the regular season.I just think it makes no sense to take a QB, and I have yet to hear a convincing argument that it does. Eli has been very bad the last two years. Sure, you can blame it all on the O line if you want to, but he is not the first QB to play behind a bad line. His performance was bad in spite of that. And it has been going on for two seasons. Why would he all of a sudden be good at age 37-40? Why would you not want to secure a future QB with this opportunity?
        The whole deal is that if you build a good team it only benefits who ever is under center,the idea of building around a QB is more like when the Giants first drafted Eli there wasn't enough talent as they added talent they won more games,if the talent is there the QB would be the last peace.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post

Itís not ďbuilding around a 37 year oldĒ,when all the holes the Giants needed to address....the OLine, D, Sp. Teams, running game, are being built for the benefit of Eli and whomever ends up taking the reigns from Eli!
          Gettleman isnít building around a 37 year old QB so much as heís rebuilding FOR the Giantsí STARTING QB...be it Eli or his successor.
          The roster needed fixing regardless of who is under center!
          As for Webb, (as a poster showed in another thread) his college numbers are as good as any of the four hotshots coming out next month, so why take yet another QB, when you said it yourself, that nobody knows what Webb can do?
          With numbers on par with this ďfab fourĒ, Webb has as good a chance as them of being Eliís successor, and heís already on the roster.
          I donít understand the thinking of wasting a number Two pick on a guy to sit for a year or even two...... Again!
          Rodgers and Garropolo both sat for a few years and both seem to be doing ok. We were 3-13 last year. We don't have the luxury of being in win-now mode.

Comment

I think the model now in the NFL is to either have a elite QB or a cheap pretty good QB. It's very hard to win when you have a good QB on a big contract. So, I am excited for the Giants to build their roster. If you have a good team, you can win with an average QB--as long as you don't have an inept QB.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
              They need to rebuild thus team to a degree with or without Eli as the QB.
              I really don't think Eli being the QB hampers much at all in thst regard. If they really want one if these young QBs they will draft him.
              well said in a a lot less words then I used lol.

Comment

How? If you feel his replacement is on the roster, you build that line. Otherwise, you draft a QB with the #2 pick.

Comment

Sign Offensive lineman that can protect him and give him a legimate running game...

Comment

Talk about test samples.... why would anyone waste a number 2 pick on-a QB, when the number of first round Stud college QBís, who ended up failing at the NFL level, are enough to fill a book? RBís have a better % of success than QBís.
                    BUT:
                    Like Iíve said before....if you wanna pick a position in the draft with the highest success rate from college to the NFL, forget QBís or RBís....and pick an O Lineman!
                    "I'M ALL FOR IT!"

John McKay, HC of the 1976 winless TB Buccaneers, when asked by a reporter, how McKay felt, about the execution of his offense.

Comment

DG made a few moves this off season - which one of them would only benefit Eli as the QB?

​​I assume that 6 players taken in this draft will help the team, and none will only help if Eli is the QB.

If that #2 pick is a QB, then every move will help him, right?

The question is what scheme we put it, and if it's designed for Eli's skill set but not designed for the new QB.
                      "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

Phil Simms was awesome in the 86 SB. He just got fired from his broadcasting job a year ago. Maybe we ought to sign him as well.
                        How old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by G1.. View Post

How old are you?
                          Your point?

Comment

If you build a good team, any good NFL QB should be able to succeed on it. The only way you build a team (or a scheme) around a QB is if the QB is lacking in some aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeO Giant fan View Post
                              Its not as complicated as any of us would think. IF, a BIG IF, the ONE QB they feel is a sure thing is there at 2 they will take him. Otherwise they will run with Eli and the guy behind him that both Mayock and Peter King called a 1st round talent. The guy that the Giants scouts said had the best arm talent in the draft. Its not a crime to address other needs with this opportunity.
                              It becomes a crime if one of the QBs they pass on becomes he next Big Ben or Drew Breese. No one is going to care that we got the next Adrian Peterson or JJ Watt if we passed on the next Big Ben or Drew Breese to get him. Why? Because Adrian Petersons and JJ Watts dont change the course of franchises, QBs do. That's why they are called franchise QBs, but you dont have franchise RBs, or franchise DEs.

If they don't have any faith in the QBs on the board at 2, then they should trade back with someone who does and stockpile picks. Having Ezekiel Elliot is nice, but if they are to get numerous premium picks that would be expected to turn into multiple starters, then I think that helps the team more over the long run.
                              All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Sure would be depressing if Webb turned into an Aaron Rodgers type player but we took darnold because we had to take a chance.

let Webb be the future until proven otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                                X