The Media vs. Odell Beckham Jr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Media vs. Odell Beckham Jr

I used to think we were one of the smarter fanbases in the NFL until the past few weeks. Do most of you realize that all of these reporters slap Odell's name onto any story they want to get clicks?

Can anyone confirm Odell saying anything this past week? Directly from his mouth?

I believe this whole Odell offseason fiasco represents the impact of media in this country as a whole. Just slap a name onto a story without facts and let it roll... 80 percent of this board eats it up (Including John Mara)

Sports reporting has become a joke, while opinions and fantasies have replaced facts.

It seems facts don't matter anymore in our country. The integrity of journalism is in the toilet in sports, politics and everything else. We are in charted waters. I don't feel sorry for Odell as he will be making a huge sum very soon but unfortunately we have sports reporters that will trade lies for clicks.
    sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Yo this situation is completely out of control. It's not just the media, many fans have also been drawn into the light. I broke it down on the entertainment board but ultimately people more and more just desire to be miserable. We're pushing one of the most talented Giants players in the history of the franchise off the team. For what reason(s) again? Oh yeah, he plays by his own set of rules. Might I suggest that more people try that for themselves, within reason of course. Being unjustly hated is actually quite motivating. Sure it's lonely, but regardless of anything and everything, in the end 99.99999% of this world is not your friend, AND FAR TOO MANY will leave you stranded without a care in the world if they don't know you. It's way more important to be on a side regardless of the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsreal View Post
        Yo this situation is completely out of control. It's not just the media, many fans have also been drawn into the light. I broke it down on the entertainment board but ultimately people more and more just desire to be miserable. We're pushing one of the most talented Giants players in the history of the franchise off the team. For what reason(s) again? Oh yeah, he plays by his own set of rules. Might I suggest that more people try that for themselves, within reason of course. Being unjustly hated is actually quite motivating. Sure it's lonely, but regardless of anything and everything, in the end 99.99999% of this world is not your friend, AND FAR TOO MANY will leave you stranded without a care in the world if they don't know you. It's way more important to be on a side regardless of the issue.
        You all make good points.

And what seems to be overlooked or completely missed in all the fan angst concerning Beckham is that whatever drives Beckham to his foolish (at times) enthusiasm after a TD, or extreme frustration when we are losing is exactly what makes him the extraordinary talented player he is. He is always driven in whatever he does. He is always seeking perfection. He uses practice to aid in seeking that perfection. He HATES to lose. I could be wrong, but I THINK this is an attitude and approach to the game that most coaches would prize from all their players, but receive from only a few.

This chastising of Beckham by fans who think he should behave in a way THEY personally think a star should behave has gotten way out of hand. Like you, I cannot conceive of why certain fans are actually in a hurry to "get rid" of him.

If we lose him to free agency because the money demands are more than our FO believes makes good business and team sense, so be it. That's the NFL today. But to WISH it to happen, regardless? Because our sense of outrage at emotional outbursts is offended? Why do we even watch the game? It's been nuts around here.

Comment

as a musician i wear bdu pants to gigs. i hate jeans 'cause it's not only the boys but the buick too that gets pinched. seriously i feel better with loose pants that show no buttcrack. i'm so glad that the real reason for low hanging jeans has been brought up within enough circles to soon be going out of style

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post

You all make good points.

And what seems to be overlooked or completely missed in all the fan angst concerning Beckham is that whatever drives Beckham to his foolish (at times) enthusiasm after a TD, or extreme frustration when we are losing is exactly what makes him the extraordinary talented player he is. He is always driven in whatever he does. He is always seeking perfection. He uses practice to aid in seeking that perfection. He HATES to lose. I could be wrong, but I THINK this is an attitude and approach to the game that most coaches would prize from all their players, but receive from only a few.

This chastising of Beckham by fans who think he should behave in a way THEY personally think a star should behave has gotten way out of hand. Like you, I cannot conceive of why certain fans are actually in a hurry to "get rid" of him.

If we lose him to free agency because the money demands are more than our FO believes makes good business and team sense, so be it. That's the NFL today. But to WISH it to happen, regardless? Because our sense of outrage at emotional outbursts is offended? Why do we even watch the game? It's been nuts around here.
            You forgot to mention that he thinks he’s bigger than the game. U ostriches are funny! Go on and continue to ignore the stuff that makes me wanna bury my head in the sand. There’s no humility left in this world I guess. If he was on the Cowboys, you hypocrites would be roasting him. STOP FRONTIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyer View Post

You forgot to mention that he thinks he’s bigger than the game. U ostriches are funny! Go on and continue to ignore the stuff that makes me wanna bury my head in the sand. There’s no humility left in this world I guess. If he was on the Cowboys, you hypocrites would be roasting him. STOP FRONTIN!
              What, exactly, would I be roasting a "Cowboy Beckham" for?

If he, as a Cowboy, had a game like the Beckham-Norman Octagon Match, yeah, I would. But I sure as hell would not define him by one game in 3 plus seasons, would not continuously bring that game up like it's on an endless loop 2 and a half years later, as if it were the only game he played and it was yesterday.

As to anything else you emotional behavior moral police seem to want to persecute Odell with? No, I wouldn't roast him for, if he were a Cowboy. Please don't project your own biases upon others. The constant whining about a handful of personal fouls he's incurred over 3+ seasons being enough for some Giants fans to cry for his departure one way or another is absurd. It's unbecoming.

And take care who you call hypocrites. That can be a two way street. And it could often be applied to any fan of any team, since a team's fan base tends to favor players on their team over players of an opponents team, regardless of what they do, don't you think? It's kind of the essence of being a fan. Calling a Giant's fan a hypocrite if he/she wants to see OBJ continue to play on their team for years to come in spite of the small baggage he comes with is as silly as calling water too wet.

There's not a fan base, as a whole, of any other NFL team that would not want Beckham on their team right now, broken ankle rehab and all.

You say Beckham "thinks he's bigger than the game". He IS bigger than the game. That's like complaining Mohamed Ali "thought he was bigger than boxing", Michael Jordan thought he was bigger than the NBA. He's known all over Europe. He's known in many Asian countries and in South America. How many active NFL players can you name with that level of notoriety? How is that a negative, as long as his play continues at or above the standard he set himself?

Comment

Originally posted by 9GMEN14 View Post
                I used to think we were one of the smarter fanbases in the NFL until the past few weeks. Do most of you realize that all of these reporters slap Odell's name onto any story they want to get clicks?

Can anyone confirm Odell saying anything this past week? Directly from his mouth?

I believe this whole Odell offseason fiasco represents the impact of media in this country as a whole. Just slap a name onto a story without facts and let it roll... 80 percent of this board eats it up (Including John Mara)

Sports reporting has become a joke, while opinions and fantasies have replaced facts.
                Which media report are you referring to? Like which one do you think is lying or misrepresenting OBJ? I know there was the one from Gary Meyers, in which he explicitly stated his info came from a source, and his info wasn't very controversial anyway.
                Last edited by rondaynewasgreat; 03-31-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Can't speak for others, but for me it's pretty simple: I want to root for players I like, and I don't like him because of his actions. So if they can get rid of him and get most of his value back in return I'd be thrilled.

Why do we even watch the game?
                  For entertainment. Many people aren't as entertained watching guys they don't like.

Comment

I would disagree. Nobody is asking OBJ to act like a monk. However, what he is being asked is to live a quite life. Act as a professional. I like OBJ, I like his talent and energy. But I don't want his behavioral issues to distract from being a great football player. You think his antics are funny, like a clown. However, I want OBJ to be a football player first and foremost. I don't need him to entertain me like a clown. I want his play on the field to entertain me.
                    My problem with OBJ stems from that fact that he cannot control his emotions, he has no impulse control. That can be a big distraction to himself and to the team as a whole. Mara is correct in his frustration at constantly having to answer questions about Odell's behavior instead of his play on the field. That's the difference between acting like a child and acting like an adult with multiple responsibilities.
                    That being said, unlikely Odell will leave as a free agent. They can franchise him this offseason and for the next 2 offseasons. But if they trade him, I won't shed any tears.

Comment

Originally posted by brownelvis54 View Post
                      as a musician i wear bdu pants to gigs. i hate jeans 'cause it's not only the boys but the buick too that gets pinched. seriously i feel better with loose pants that show no buttcrack. i'm so glad that the real reason for low hanging jeans has been brought up within enough circles to soon be going out of style
                      Maybe you should cut back on the peanut butter and banana sandwiches there King.
                      "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                      "No...I didn't."
                      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

@ 9GMEN14 and gmen46
                        you guys are spot on with all your points ... well done .

​​​​​​it's really weird how so many people want to rail on this kid like he is some kind of evil cancer on this team .
                        being an egocentric prima-donna is not uncommon in sports ; and many superstars have the same personality trait ...
                        but I am not aware of it being any kind of criminal offense .
                        he is not a murderer or a wife beater or a drug addict ... he is not an off the field thug or menace to society.

in four years he has only 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and one unnecessary roughness penalty ...
                        that is only 60 yards of stupid penalties in four years .
                        now let's compare that to his 4500 yards from scrimmage and 38 touchdowns ... in only 47 games .

some people just can't see the forest for the trees .
                        due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
                        my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Originally posted by pjsreal View Post
                          Great post.
                          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Odell has done anything that bad as to justify all the demise for him . Some fans on here forget what is was like in your 20s. You only have those years once, you don't get them back . Before you judge go back a reminisce at some of the stupid and crazy things you did, and kept out of trouble .

I keep reading the same kind of posts.

He has not done this but.
                            He is going to.
                            He is a cancer
                            He is bad in the locker room.
                            He is all about Odell.
                            What will he do when a new QB yells at him

I was all about myself when I was in my 20s also. When Odell is on the field it is 100% about football , with 100% effort.

He is bad in the locker room , Not one player has come forward and said that.

Why would a new QB yell or get in his face? Why should he . He runs his routes, gets separation and is a big play threat, Trade that player? No wonder teams are lining up to make a deal.

He has not done this but.
                            He is going to.
                            He is a cancer
                            All three of these are Bull**** to bolster a point of view,

Last edited by TEM; 03-31-2018, 07:53 AM.
                            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Odell doesnt help himself out 1 bit. He craves the attention. Of course the media is going to cover the best player on the NY team who is constantly causing chaos and has huge emotional swings. He is a TMZ dream. He is an ultimate distraction.

Comment

Working...
                              X