The Media vs. Odell Beckham Jr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9GMEN14 View Post
    I used to think we were one of the smarter fanbases in the NFL until the past few weeks. Do most of you realize that all of these reporters slap Odell's name onto any story they want to get clicks?

Can anyone confirm Odell saying anything this past week? Directly from his mouth?

I believe this whole Odell offseason fiasco represents the impact of media in this country as a whole. Just slap a name onto a story without facts and let it roll... 80 percent of this board eats it up (Including John Mara)

Sports reporting has become a joke, while opinions and fantasies have replaced facts.
    OBJ embraces the media and is in the thick of it. He is a millennial social media maven. The message he wants out is out there right now, while he romps around in Hollywood......Odell in LA is like a kid in the candy store......
    and he loves it

Comment

Originally posted by stormblue View Post
      @ 9GMEN14 and gmen46
      you guys are spot on with all your points ... well done .

​​​​​​it's really weird how so many people want to rail on this kid like he is some kind of evil cancer on this team .
      being an egocentric prima-donna is not uncommon in sports ; and many superstars have the same personality trait ...
      but I am not aware of it being any kind of criminal offense .
      he is not a murderer or a wife beater or a drug addict ... he is not an off the field thug or menace to society.

in four years he has only 3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and one unnecessary roughness penalty ...
      that is only 60 yards of stupid penalties in four years .
      now let's compare that to his 4500 yards from scrimmage and 38 touchdowns ... in only 47 games .

some people just can't see the forest for the trees .
      TO was none of things either. TO did not drink alcohol or party on the town late, but he still was a major cancer on NFL teams, and Odell in currently following TOís trail.

Comment

Originally posted by 9GMEN14 View Post
        I used to think we were one of the smarter fanbases in the NFL until the past few weeks. Do most of you realize that all of these reporters slap Odell's name onto any story they want to get clicks?

Can anyone confirm Odell saying anything this past week? Directly from his mouth?

I believe this whole Odell offseason fiasco represents the impact of media in this country as a whole. Just slap a name onto a story without facts and let it roll... 80 percent of this board eats it up (Including John Mara)

Sports reporting has become a joke, while opinions and fantasies have replaced facts.
        Here's the issue. Some fans just want him gone because his antics, at times, both on and off the field, have created an image of him as a person that leaves a lot to be desired. That said, everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence especially when they haven't been charged with any crimes. What drives those fans is anyone's guess. But NFL players are media targets by the nature of what they do. Star players have targets on their backs and, as we know, there are cameras everywhere. There was zero proof in the France seven second video that Odell did anything illegal yet the attacks that he was on drugs run rampant even today. One fan even opined about how much of the pizza wasn't eaten as though Beckham couldn't have bought twp pizzas. The hatred for the person has taken center stage and whether he's right or wrong doesn't matter.

He needs to mature without a doubt but for the fans suggesting "we would be better off if he was traded" they are missing the point. The point is will the team be better off and I don't honest;y know what the answer is to that but I think not.
        ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Living View Post

TO was none of things either. TO did not drink alcohol or party on the town late, but he still was a major cancer on NFL teams, and Odell in currently following TOís trail.
          TO wanted the ball on every play and was constantly in the coaches and quarterback's face about it ...
          and very disrespectful to his coaches and teammates ...
          Odell is nothing like that ...
          TO was an absolute cancer ... Odell is just an egocentric prima-donna ...
          at least so far anyway .
          due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
          my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Here's the issue. Some fans just want him gone because his antics, at times, both on and off the field, have created an image of him as a person that leaves a lot to be desired. That said, everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence especially when they haven't been charged with any crimes. What drives those fans is anyone's guess. But NFL players are media targets by the nature of what they do. Star players have targets on their backs and, as we know, there are cameras everywhere. There was zero proof in the France seven second video that Odell did anything illegal yet the attacks that he was on drugs run rampant even today. One fan even opined about how much of the pizza wasn't eaten as though Beckham couldn't have bought twp pizzas. The hatred for the person has taken center stage and whether he's right or wrong doesn't matter.

He needs to mature without a doubt but for the fans suggesting "we would be better off if he was traded" they are missing the point. The point is will the team be better off and I don't honest;y know what the answer is to that but I think not.
            You are correct in that NFL star players have targets on their back with cameras everywhere. But, isn't that even more important for Odell to avoid situations such as the France video, why put yourself in a situation that could be easily avoided?
            Would the giants be better off without Odell, hard to say. However, it has been proven that teams can win without superstar wrs.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
              Odell has done anything that bad as to justify all the demise for him . Some fans on here forget what is was like in your 20s. You only have those years once, you don't get them back . Before you judge go back a reminisce at some of the stupid and crazy things you did, and kept out of trouble .

I keep reading the same kind of posts.

He has not done this but.
              He is going to.
              He is a cancer
              He is bad in the locker room.
              He is all about Odell.
              What will he do when a new QB yells at him

I was all about myself when I was in my 20s also. When Odell is on the field it is 100% about football , with 100% effort.

He is bad in the locker room , Not one player has come forward and said that.

Why would a new QB yell or get in his face? Why should he . He runs his routes, gets separation and is a big play threat, Trade that player? No wonder teams are lining up to make a deal.

He has not done this but.
              He is going to.
              He is a cancer
              All three of these are Bull**** to bolster a point of view,

Well, I would argue that many people remember what it is like to be 20. That is exactly why they want Odell to avoid such pitfalls. Why act like a fool when you don't have to?
              Odell's talent should speak for itself.
              The question isn't why a new qb would get into odell's face, the question should be what his reaction will when a rookie qb makes mistakes and doesn't always give him the football.

Comment

Originally posted by acbleedblue View Post

Well, I would argue that many people remember what it is like to be 20. That is exactly why they want Odell to avoid such pitfalls. Why act like a fool when you don't have to?
                Odell's talent should speak for itself.
                The question isn't why a new qb would get into odell's face, the question should be what his reaction will when a rookie qb makes mistakes and doesn't always give him the football.

What his reaction will when a rookie QB makes mistakes and doesn't always give him the football? That is a good one.

Here is another one; what will he say when he is the first human to take a step on Mars?

How about this one. What will Odell's reaction be during the first wave of an
                alien invasion?

The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

What his reaction will when a rookie QB makes mistakes and doesn't always give him the football? That is a good one.

Here is another one; what will he say when he is the first human to take a step on Mars?

alien invasion?
                  You do realize that once Eli leaves, Odell will be looked upon as a leader, so how he reacts to a rookie Qb's mistakes will be scrutinized.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Ro, my position is not that he did anything illegal, but he needs to be smarter in his actions and who he associates with and what is happening while he's there. I don't think for a moment, he did the drugs, but to be in a position to cast that doubt, is just plain stupid, like many of the other things he's done. I don't wish to see him traded, has value as a Giant cannot be measured, however the antics will prove to be a distraction somewhere down the road, if not already.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyer View Post

You forgot to mention that he thinks heís bigger than the game. U ostriches are funny! Go on and continue to ignore the stuff that makes me wanna bury my head in the sand. Thereís no humility left in this world I guess. If he was on the Cowboys, you hypocrites would be roasting him. STOP FRONTIN!
                      Humility?

What is that?

Comment

alien invasion?
                        LMAO
                        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                        "No...I didn't."
                        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Also, one story gets out there and it is picked up by every media source...Which makes it seem like a bigger deal.

Comment

Originally posted by acbleedblue View Post

However, it has been proven that teams can win without superstar wrs.

Teams can win without "superstar" anything....Giants didn't have any in 07 or 11......still won.

Now, you can argue that with LT they had a superstar and won in 86 and 90.....

Whatever with this Odell crap. If a great deal comes along you take the deal and trade anyone if the deal benefits the team. End of story. Until then, he'll be in a Giants uniform catching balls.

Everyone ok with that?
                            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                            "No...I didn't."
                            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Originally posted by pjsreal View Post
                              Yo this situation is completely out of control. It's not just the media, many fans have also been drawn into the light. I broke it down on the entertainment board but ultimately people more and more just desire to be miserable. We're pushing one of the most talented Giants players in the history of the franchise off the team. For what reason(s) again? Oh yeah, he plays by his own set of rules. Might I suggest that more people try that for themselves, within reason of course. Being unjustly hated is actually quite motivating. Sure it's lonely, but regardless of anything and everything, in the end 99.99999% of this world is not your friend, AND FAR TOO MANY will leave you stranded without a care in the world if they don't know you. It's way more important to be on a side regardless of the issue.
                              I gotta love that it is now the fans fault.

But let me say this first. Most everything everyone talks about with Odell doesnít phase me, except the dog peeing end zone dance. Why? Because it cost us 15 and our team desperately neededa win. But that was lost on Odell. When a player prioritizes in-game celebrations over winning a football game; I know something ainít kosher.

Let me ask all of you who have Odellís back. Why has all of this happened? Who do you blame? John Mara? The fans? The media? The chick with camera in France or the dude snapping down in Florida?

I donít know about some of you but I donít care about any players brand. Iím here for Giants FOOTBALL.

Comment

Originally posted by gmen46 View Post

What, exactly, would I be roasting a "Cowboy Beckham" for?

If he, as a Cowboy, had a game like the Beckham-Norman Octagon Match, yeah, I would. But I sure as hell would not define him by one game in 3 plus seasons, would not continuously bring that game up like it's on an endless loop 2 and a half years later, as if it were the only game he played and it was yesterday.

As to anything else you emotional behavior moral police seem to want to persecute Odell with? No, I wouldn't roast him for, if he were a Cowboy. Please don't project your own biases upon others. The constant whining about a handful of personal fouls he's incurred over 3+ seasons being enough for some Giants fans to cry for his departure one way or another is absurd. It's unbecoming.

And take care who you call hypocrites. That can be a two way street. And it could often be applied to any fan of any team, since a team's fan base tends to favor players on their team over players of an opponents team, regardless of what they do, don't you think? It's kind of the essence of being a fan. Calling a Giant's fan a hypocrite if he/she wants to see OBJ continue to play on their team for years to come in spite of the small baggage he comes with is as silly as calling water too wet.

There's not a fan base, as a whole, of any other NFL team that would not want Beckham on their team right now, broken ankle rehab and all.

You say Beckham "thinks he's bigger than the game". He IS bigger than the game. That's like complaining Mohamed Ali "thought he was bigger than boxing", Michael Jordan thought he was bigger than the NBA. He's known all over Europe. He's known in many Asian countries and in South America. How many active NFL players can you name with that level of notoriety? How is that a negative, as long as his play continues at or above the standard he set himself?
                                An excellent post, and basically says what I've been saying for a while myself. People have this bizarre need to hold these players to some ridiculous moral and behavioral standard they they more than likely dont live up to themselves, which is obviously textbook hypocrisy.

What he does on the field, production-wise, should be more than enough for any rational, sane football fan to want to keep him around, but of course, and not surprisingly, it's not happening.

You'd swear that Beckham was the devil incarnate, based on what these folks say about him. The argument has been made that they dont want their kid(s) to be subjected to, and to possibly emulate, his antics, because he's their "role model". I've got news for those parents who have children that have total strangers(NFL players in this case) as role models: You've failed as parents. YOU should be your childrens' role model(s).

Incidentally, Odell has done a LOT of very charitable things for kids, but since he acted out on the field a handful of times, those charitable things were all negated, and he's now been relegated to the role of "locker room cancer".

I love absurdity, because it makes me chuckle, but when it reaches the level that is has around here, it's hard to not point it out and truly wonder what is going on in the minds of some of those in our fanbase.
                                The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X