Cooks Trade Impacts OBJ Trade Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayMas9 View Post

Yeah, the Steelers struggle to remain competitive while paying Julio and Matt Ryan just like the Steelers do with Big Ben and A. Brown. Brown and Julio are exactly the stratosphere OBJ is in. Don't know how we'll possibly field a competitive roster paying him. I can't wait for this trade nonsense to die. Mara says no one is untouchable which is a normal thing to say after a 3-13 season and everyone goes insane while ignoring the many signs they don't want to trade him at all.
    How good is the Steelers defense, any big contract players on that side of the ball?...Landon Collins is due a big pay day soon, Beckham definitely deserves to get paid but you cannot pay players big money on both sides of the ball and keep everyone in a salary cap driven league...

Comment

OBJ is not getting traded.. the draft can't get here soon enough.. then people will have something else to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by PMcC View Post
        1) It really helps establish the fact that 2 first rounders is not an unjustified starting point.

2) It takes away one of the most likely trade partners in my mind. The fit was just too good. The trade holds more value to a team that OBJ could be considered the missing link.

If his plans to hold out without an extension are true, combined with his contract demands, there is no way he will be a Giant after this upcoming season.
        Let him sit out.....JPP made 8 million the first time he was franchised because he missed games with an injury..

ALL of Odell's interests outside of football are tied to what he does on the field. If he sits out, he will devalue himself and NIKE is not going to allow their cash cow to sit out games, not when they are paying him to go show off their brand every Sunday.

We have him over a barrel. Exclusive rights franchise tag, and if a team wants him more, they'll pay and give us two 2nd rounders. Now that his agents see the Rams are no longer in it, they know their trade options are limited as well.

The browns are the only team that could take his contract on right now
        Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by PMcC View Post
          1) It really helps establish the fact that 2 first rounders is not an unjustified starting point.

2) It takes away one of the most likely trade partners in my mind. The fit was just too good. The trade holds more value to a team that OBJ could be considered the missing link.

If his plans to hold out without an extension are true, combined with his contract demands, there is no way he will be a Giant after this upcoming season.
          1) it doesn't establish that two 1st round picks is viable at all. Cooks was traded for less than a 1st round (Rams gave a 1st but got a 4th) and while OBJ is a much more prolific receiver, Cooks is no joke ( over 1,000+ yrds and 7 TDs 3 consecutive years)

2) the only way there is a trade is if the Giants are willing to get hosed on trade value for OBJ. If the Giants are willing to accept, say a 1st and a 2nd for him, then there's a chance, but I think they're getting screwed at that price.

the only other wildcard is if they think he's ain issue in locker room (I don't know if he is or isn't) then maybe they take that deal to send a message to the roster.

I still think the likelihood of a trade is 5%.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Eli_QB10 View Post

How good is the Steelers defense, any big contract players on that side of the ball?...Landon Collins is due a big pay day soon, Beckham definitely deserves to get paid but you cannot pay players big money on both sides of the ball and keep everyone in a salary cap driven league...
            Well they just went 13-3 are competitive every year, and just had one of the best pass defenses in the NFL. So...they are finding a way to do it while paying Antonio Brown, Big Ben, and will probably pay Bell. My point is, it's such hyperbole to say that paying OBJ means we can't be competitive in a salary cap driven league. It's nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by JayMas9 View Post

Well they just went 13-3 are competitive every year, and just had one of the best pass defenses in the NFL. So...they are finding a way to do it while paying Antonio Brown, Big Ben, and will probably pay Bell. My point is, it's such hyperbole to say that paying OBJ means we can't be competitive in a salary cap driven league. It's nonsense.
              True but if the Steelers had a good pass rush they would have probably gone deeper in the playoffs. As far as Bell we shall see if he accepts Pitt's offer...The Giants most likely keep Beckham but with so many holes to fill let's hope there is enough money to go around to fill the other needs and field a competitive team...

Comment

no it doesnt...

OB not going anywhere...

"it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post

If they pay Odell his money now, they will be fine. Getting rid of JPP and that massive contract helps dramatically. Eli and Vernon are now the highest salaries on the roster, so by paying Odell 18-19 million dollars now for the next 4 years is the way to go. Landon Collins will be up next for a huge contract, but by that time, Eli's salary will be coming off the books.

Any rookies we sign in this draft will be on a rookie contract for the next 4 years, while Odell is reaching the end of his contract. Next up will be Sheppard, followed by Engram. Who ever the future QB is, they will not factor into Odell getting his money now. Also, the cap increases every year. I believe they got rid of JPP to make room for Odell. Vernon may not be safe, either.
                  Agreed, with Eli's numbers coming off the books after the 2019 season (at the latest), and the release of JPP, they'll have plenty of cap space to accommodate and ODB contract for the next couple of years.
                  All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                    There is no ODB trade. Not happening. This effects nothing.
                    This is the real answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                      The Rams are going all in this year but it will be without Odell.

Odell is finding out no one is willing to give the Giants enough to land him and his future contract.

Looks like we may be stuck with him. That is if he will bless us by stepping on the field with a reasonable contract
                      I don't think the Rams were ever serious. That said I think the Giants have simply allowed the market to formulate around Beckham which may help inform their position when doing his new deal. They have the leverage for now so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to structure a deal that is team friendly, covers his last years of lockup and is market reasonable. Assuming we all mean the same thing by reasonable.

Which I am sure we do.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
                        The Rams are going all in this year but it will be without Odell.

Odell is finding out no one is willing to give the Giants enough to land him and his future contract.

Looks like we may be stuck with him. That is if he will bless us by stepping on the field with a reasonable contract
                        One announcer said the Rams did not want to bring in a locker room distraction with OBJ... which we'll never know for sure but have not seen anywhere where OBJ was a distraction in the locker room this past year.

Comment

Working...
                        X