Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants plan to let Olivier Vernon loose, with visions of NFL sack leader

https://nypost.com/2018/04/04/giants...l-sack-leader/

Excerpt: "When new Giants defensive coordinator James Bettcher sees Olivier Vernon, he envisions Chandler Jones.

It is a sight and a projection everyone involved with the Giants wants to embrace and make happen.

“Chandler Jones in New England was a 4-3 defensive end, came to this scheme,’’ Bettcher said Wednesday in his first public comments since he was hired by Pat Shurmur. “There’s gonna be some new things you have to learn, some nuances, but it’s still playing football, rushing off the edge.’’

Bettcher got his hands on Jones in 2016 in Arizona and helped turn him into a star, as Jones evolved from a very good player into a great one, leading the NFL in sacks in 2017 with 17. Jones was a defensive end for the Patriots who transitioned and thrived as an outside linebacker in Bettcher’s system. Vernon will be given the same assignment, and the Giants are hoping for similar results.

“Look at Chandler Jones and how good he is,’’ said Rob Leonard, the assistant linebacker coach, a holdover from the Tom Coughlin and Ben McAdoo staffs. “We’ve watched so much Cardinals film and how great he is at the techniques, that’s what you’re hoping to get at. O.V. has the talent to be just as good.’’" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

"Let him loose" - another big name trade?

Comment

I made this same comparison here when they first switched Vernon's position. This guy kept pace with Njoku 40 yards down field. I think vernon's production will match his contract.

Comment

I have liked Vernon's production since he has been here. Based on the defense they were running and the situations they were put in by the offense more times than not. Also dont forget he played with injuries and also the 95% + of the defensive snaps. He is a gamer no doubt.
        In the new scheme if he can get some rotational rest he will do even better.
        The same went for JPP.....he was used too much, The very fact that they didnt have a better player to sub for him when he was wearing a ****ing club speaks volumes.
        "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

I would love to see it,I doubt it will happen but I would love to see it.

Comment

Vernon is always around the ball. I think the kid is a lot better than some folks give him credit for. I like that it seems the new DC sees a lot in the kid.
            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

If this defense plays up to their potential, Spags may never get another gig.

Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by G1.. View Post
                I would love to see it,I doubt it will happen but I would love to see it.
                Well, prepare to be surprised when you learn that coaching was keeping our team back more than the players.
                Long Live the King

Comment

The front 7(ish) is going to have to play lights out because the Giants are looking very shaky in the secondary.

Comment

Bettcher has taken TWO 4-3 DEs and made them into NFL sack leaders in two different cities. I think he takes Vernon and makes it 3. The other guys took a year to figure it out and in year two were monsters. My hope is Vernon can convert faster since he has had more experience standing up and many even thought he would be a OLB coming out of college.
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by TE88 View Post
                      The front 7(ish) is going to have to play lights out because the Giants are looking very shaky in the secondary.
                      An All Pro safety and All Pro (2nd team) CB is much more than many teams have. Apple isn't horrible. I think we will be better than some here believe.
                      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
                        If this defense plays up to their potential, Spags may never get another gig.
                        I agree

Comment

Hope he can stay healthy

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

Well, prepare to be surprised when you learn that coaching was keeping our team back more than the players.

Seriously have you not seen any games from last year?Yes ...McAdoo was holding everyone back .........and only blaming Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by G1.. View Post

Seriously have you not seen any games from last year?Yes ...McAdoo was holding everyone back .........and only blaming Eli.
                              Sounds like u agree. What am I missing?

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
                              Hope he can stay healthy
                              Hopefully the new DC knows the value of a good rotation
                              Long Live the King

Comment

Working...
                              X