Giants plan to let Olivier Vernon loose, with visions of NFL sack leader

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post

Well, prepare to be surprised when you learn that coaching was keeping our team back more than the players.
    And Spags had nothing to do with their excellence in 2016?
    There were a lot of problems last year, starting with McAdoo, and finishing with Apple playing like a total wuss. I don't think you can put all the blame for the dysfunctionality on Spag's back.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

I wasn't talking about Engram at all. I was talking about the OC over promising how they would use him. It never happened. They talked about using him in the backfield with on the fly reads by him and Eli to exploit the defense left or right.

He had a really nice rookie season. His accomplishment were all on him and not the coaches who waxed poetically on how they would deploy him in new and creative ways. It never happened. The results came from him beating defenders in rather traditional way, not from the backfield as promised by the OC but from rather ordinary formations.

Talk is cheap in the offseason from coaches.

I hope the new group is better than the last one in delivering on their pontifications.
      Oh yeah I can agree with that. The difference IMO is that Bettcher has a pretty nice history of doing this and Mac ran a very predictable offense. He was stuck on Tecmo Bowl mode with just 4 plays to choose from. I agree talk is cheap but the offseason is long and full of nothing.
      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by PennState1 View Post
        Hope he can stay healthy
        I was thinking the same thing. He always seems to be battling something.
        [SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
          That is fair, I'm just saying for him to get to 15+ would not be that crazy considering what the other guys did. Now doing some reading and viewing of Bettchers scheme in Arizona I see that he works mismatches very well. It makes it much easier for the Joker to get to the QB because the LT can't simply point him out like a DE and say that's my guy. He might be on the outside, the inside, coming from the other side of the field and a bunch of other options. His entire goal is to give his Joker the best possible match up to get to the QB. Spags on the other hand relied on his DEs to get pressure by beating their man 1 on 1 and then bringing other positions in on the blitzes. It was a very good D Spags ran, but the DEs were pretty much left on their own to get to the QB.
          That could be the case. We'll see. It good to see some change. The Giant on both sides of the ball are going to be hard to game plan for the first few games.
          Last edited by TEM; 04-07-2018, 04:19 PM.
          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

This is like our OC last years having visions of unleashing Engram last season in new and different ways. It is almost all, off season creative story telling.
            I see that way to some extent. Hopefully the coach's schema pass the test, and it is not just offseason blabber.
            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
              If this defense plays up to their potential, Spags may never get another gig.
              We need to look forward now
              We are expecting big things this season. I hope we aren't disapppointed.

Comment

Originally posted by DMI View Post

We need to look forward now
                +1
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by SoJucobast View Post
                  Imagine adding Chubb on the other side? Nightmare for opposing OCs...who do you block?
                  I was a bigger Chubb fan when we were a 4-3 team. I know that we will be running a few 4 man fronts, but I dont think Chubb in a 3-4 hybrid is worth it over taking Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, Quenton Nelson, Saquon Barkley, or Minkah Fitzpatrick..... Even Derwin James who could be a nasty LB for us.

I just think we could take 1 of those players mentioned then later in the draft get a strictly Edge Rushing OLB like Hercules Mata'afa (who could also play with his hand in the dirt on 4 man fronts) and a 3-4 DE like Andrew Brown from VA or Rasheem Green from USC

At this point, id be happy with anyone in the 1st, as long as we walk away from the draft with an OL, CB, and a LB.....

I require meager accommodations

[img] http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...to-america.jpg [/img]
                  Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

As for OV, I have a very good feeling about him at OLB in the 3-4
                    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38AYeNGjqg0

Comment

I'd like to turn him loose!
                        Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I see that way to some extent. Hopefully the coach's schema pass the test, and it is not just offseason blabber.
                          Yes! It isn't always blather. We have new voices and new coaching perspectives and this is the time to dream
                          No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

I was thinking the same thing. He always seems to be battling something.
                            Who isn't in the NFL? That's why it's not really a good idea to pay one player a huge amount of the salary cap.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                              An All Pro safety and All Pro (2nd team) CB is much more than many teams have. Apple isn't horrible. I think we will be better than some here believe.
                              Exactly. Look around at almost every other NFL team. Good CB are rare. Very few teams have more than one good one. It could be the hardest job in the NFL next to QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post

Who isn't in the NFL? That's why it's not really a good idea to pay one player a huge amount of the salary cap.
                                There are definitely players worth a good % of the salary cap. There's an old saying in football. 20% of the players make up 80% of the salary cap in the NFL.

Last edited by bigbluejeep8888; 04-08-2018, 03:30 PM.
                                [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X