Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking at the updated Depth chart espn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • looking at the updated Depth chart espn

    First its nice to see the new players on there and i know some changes could still happen.
    My thoughts are based on what it looks like right now.

    Defense

    First glance to me looks like we desperately need a DT.

    DE - with the suspension of Mauro ? this would seem like another important piece to add. (not as high of a need as DT)


    CB we have "A LOT' of bodies and i think DG doesnt mind using no names at Corners or from what I remember in Carolina.



    So our draft to me would be assuming trade. I cant possibly think we take QB when we are adding all these veterans?. Hard to read that logic. Are we rebuilding by drafting a QB 2nd or are we adding pieces to try and make a run in next year or 2 ?.

    trade out of 2. say bills and scoop 2 x 1s rd picks and a 2nd.
    1st round DT
    1st round DE
    2nd round RB
    2nd round OG
    3rd round CB
    3rd round (from TB) S
    4th round MLB

    rest depth ???


    any thoughts
    Last edited by sheepdip; 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM.

  • #2
    If you want bodies, there are enough on the roles. If you want talent, draft where you are.

    Comment


    • #3
      I think CB is the biggest defensive need. Playing a 3 - 4, with snacks, Tomlinson, and Robert Thomas we are ok. for sure we add edge rushers/ DE for applying pressure

      Comment


      • #4
        DT is probably the lowest need this team has and you want the first pick (12th) to be used on one? Also, I don't want the Giants trading back all the way to 12. Optimally, trading back to 5 and still potentially having a chance for Chubb or Nelson.

        Comment


        • #5
          I still say one of our biggest problems over past several yesye has been the terrible offensive line play. The obvious pick here has to be ND's Q. Nelson.

          Drafting him coupled with the changes already made in FA will going along way to turning the whole offense around.

          Weather they take him at 2 or trade back a little they need to land this kid. I know many say u don't take a non skilled player that high but this fixes a huge need for the foreseeable future and your getting a pro bowl type player.
          Football has been very, very good to us.
          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

          # of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

          1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
          4-New York Giants!!!
          5-NE
          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

          ***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
            I still say one of our biggest problems over past several yesye has been the terrible offensive line play. The obvious pick here has to be ND's Q. Nelson.

            Drafting him coupled with the changes already made in FA will going along way to turning the whole offense around.

            Weather they take him at 2 or trade back a little they need to land this kid. I know many say u don't take a non skilled player that high but this fixes a huge need for the foreseeable future and your getting a pro bowl type player.
            100%.

            For at least the last 7 years everybody on this board has been (justifiably) screaming, begging, cajoling, whining--about how the Giants "never addressed the offensive line (not actually true, but that's what's been said repeatedly) and that's why we are where we are offensively". Now, at last, we are in a position to draft an offensive lineman who has been UNIVERSALLY evaluated as a probable perennial Pro Bowl, is as close to a "sure thing" as any player in a draft can be, and we're all "ah, we can't draft a GUARD at the 2 spot, it's just not done".

            If we get a good offer from Denver at the 5 spot (presumably something like at LEAST the 2019 1st rd and 3rd or 4th rd, plus this year's 2nd or 3rd rd) we take it and draft whoever is still available--Nelson, Chubb, or Barkley. If no trade with them, we take Nelson. None of this "trade back to Buffalo for 12 and 22" nonsense (unless they also include next year's 1st rd--then we gotta seriously consider that; but nothing less than three 1st rd picks from Bills will justify us giving up the precious spot for a 12 and 22 in this draft).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
              I still say one of our biggest problems over past several yesye has been the terrible offensive line play. The obvious pick here has to be ND's Q. Nelson.

              Drafting him coupled with the changes already made in FA will going along way to turning the whole offense around.

              Weather they take him at 2 or trade back a little they need to land this kid. I know many say u don't take a non skilled player that high but this fixes a huge need for the foreseeable future and your getting a pro bowl type player.
              He's my choice for non-QB. I think he would have a profound impact on the entire offensive game plan. Would shore up the line with the other changes we've already made.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gmen46 View Post

                100%.

                For at least the last 7 years everybody on this board has been (justifiably) screaming, begging, cajoling, whining--about how the Giants "never addressed the offensive line (not actually true, but that's what's been said repeatedly) and that's why we are where we are offensively". Now, at last, we are in a position to draft an offensive lineman who has been UNIVERSALLY evaluated as a probable perennial Pro Bowl, is as close to a "sure thing" as any player in a draft can be, and we're all "ah, we can't draft a GUARD at the 2 spot, it's just not done".

                If we get a good offer from Denver at the 5 spot (presumably something like at LEAST the 2019 1st rd and 3rd or 4th rd, plus this year's 2nd or 3rd rd) we take it and draft whoever is still available--Nelson, Chubb, or Barkley. If no trade with them, we take Nelson. None of this "trade back to Buffalo for 12 and 22" nonsense (unless they also include next year's 1st rd--then we gotta seriously consider that; but nothing less than three 1st rd picks from Bills will justify us giving up the precious spot for a 12 and 22 in this draft).
                That is exactly how I feel. I would be okay drafting Nelson at 2. Even the trade back scenarios are spot on. 5 preferred and take best available. Only 12/22 if they offer a kings ransom to go along with it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by coachf14 View Post
                  I think CB is the biggest defensive need. Playing a 3 - 4, with snacks, Tomlinson, and Robert Thomas we are ok. for sure we add edge rushers/ DE for applying pressure
                  U sure Tomlinson is playing dt In 34. ? He might play end . That's why I said Dt would be a need

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wynn is a solid DE in a 3- 4 defense. Later round DT I like are BJ Hill and Nathan Shepherd in this year draft.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mercurio View Post
                      If you want bodies, there are enough on the roles. If you want talent, draft where you are.
                      Well Merc that's a little ambiguous. I do understand your point though. But there will be talent in the first 2 rounds. Now at #2 you think we would get an elite player as compared to an extra 3-4 good to very good players. This is the decision both are good choices both could be successful.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PMcC View Post
                        DT is probably the lowest need this team has and you want the first pick (12th) to be used on one? Also, I don't want the Giants trading back all the way to 12. Optimally, trading back to 5 and still potentially having a chance for Chubb or Nelson.
                        I don't feel picking at #12 is to far back. It's not like making the trade with N.E. at 23 &31. Buffalo would be 12 &22 plus 54 I believe. We would get that edge rusher I believe with either Tremaine Edwards, Raquan Smith or that Van Esch. Both Edwards and Smith are considered top 10 picks. If Mayfield moves into top 10 odds are one of these guys fall. There are CB's, G, OT, S, or RB all top players at these positions. Lots of talent at pick #12.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can agree with the OP's logic on a DT with our first pick. One of the main problems with a 3-4 is the Nose Tackle. Very few DTs are NTs . A NT must be able to defend both A gaps , Take a double team shred the block and find the RB. It is without a doubt the most difficult position to master in any defensive schema. The problem with the 3-4 is there are only so many individuals on the planet that can play NT. Here is the dilemma the Giants need 2 of them.
                          Last edited by TEM; 04-08-2018, 10:25 AM.
                          The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

                            He's my choice for non-QB. I think he would have a profound impact on the entire offensive game plan. Would shore up the line with the other changes we've already made.
                            Our O was supposed to be so great last couple years and all we talked about was how it wsw going to be so explosive with the WRs we had an the addition of " The matchup nightmare" at TE as well as Flowers being around the facility all off season we were even supposed to have a running game. Well it all blew up in our faces as the line emploded like usual and our O was the laughingstock of the league

                            They have to land this kid Nelson FIRST then build around him with Offensive Weapons
                            Last edited by miked1958; 04-08-2018, 11:05 AM.
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

                            # of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

                            1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

                            ***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

                              Our O was supposed to be so great last couple years and all we talked about was how it wsw going to be so explosive with the WRs we had an the addition of " The matchup nightmare" at TE as well as Flowers being around the facility all off season we were even supposed to have can running game. Well it all blew up in our faces as the line emploded like usual cand our O was the laughingstock of the league

                              They have to land this kid Nelson FIRST then build around him with Offensive Weapons
                              the fact that he's a local kid and grew up a Giants fan doesn't hurt his stock with me either. I think he'll be the first NFLer from Holmdel, right?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X