Beckham Will Be Here Monday (4-9-18)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Ok if that is what you believe. Read post 23.
    .....yeah and?

Comment

It's not "fake news" or reporters making things up. The bigger issue in covering sports now are the sources. The sources are usually legitimate members of the team, agent or player's team. The problem is that they can say whatever they want or whatever they are directed to say and it becomes a "report from a source". Everyone now uses that to distribute false or misinformation to help the PR battle, negotiations or to throw things off. Bottom line...I don't believe any report that does not come from a named person. Once it gets tied to a name, it's much less likely to be misleading--as people don't like to lie on the record.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Well he posted twice in this thread already and yes it was negative.
        Why am I not surprised? Odell could cure cancer and that poster would say what took so long.
        “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
          It's not "fake news" or reporters making things up. The bigger issue in covering sports now are the sources. The sources are usually legitimate members of the team, agent or player's team. The problem is that they can say whatever they want or whatever they are directed to say and it becomes a "report from a source". Everyone now uses that to distribute false or misinformation to help the PR battle, negotiations or to throw things off. Bottom line...I don't believe any report that does not come from a named person. Once it gets tied to a name, it's much less likely to be misleading--as people don't like to lie on the record.
          In other words, everyone involved is full of ****, so we need as fans need to be smarter like you are about it. i am slightly different than you are in that i believe that the media throws things out there, hoping to make it stick in addition to your take on anonymous sources. Everyone involved has an agenda, so I don't take any of it seriously until it happens or becomes official.

Nasir Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
            Reporting bad information is actually fake news. Back in the last millennium we had these guys called journalists and they had a thing called journalistic integrity. It means you don't report everything as gospel without vetting your source and getting multiple sources and doing some actual investigative work. The media spread a narrative that Beckham "would not step foot on a field" and would "holdout and not workout with the team" and it was all based on BS, whether his agent or best friend or a drugged out model said....it's still BS.

I agree 100% with you that teams, agents and players all use the news as a way to position themselves for a negotiation, that makes it even more important for these "journalists" to do some critical thinking and not just post everything they are told. It is an issue with the modern world. Back in the days of print news there was limited space so you have to vet your story and get the info correct or you would not get much print space in the future but now there is unlimited space so every story gets posted in the hopes they get 1 right sometimes.
            LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
            "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
              Reporting bad information is actually fake news. Back in the last millennium we had these guys called journalists and they had a thing called journalistic integrity. It means you don't report everything as gospel without vetting your source and getting multiple sources and doing some actual investigative work. The media spread a narrative that Beckham "would not step foot on a field" and would "holdout and not workout with the team" and it was all based on BS, whether his agent or best friend or a drugged out model said....it's still BS.

I agree 100% with you that teams, agents and players all use the news as a way to position themselves for a negotiation, that makes it even more important for these "journalists" to do some critical thinking and not just post everything they are told. It is an issue with the modern world. Back in the days of print news there was limited space so you have to vet your story and get the info correct or you would not get much print space in the future but now there is unlimited space so every story gets posted in the hopes they get 1 right sometimes.
              Well put. I can't disagree with any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

Ok if that is what you believe. Read post 23.
                That G1 guy actually said "**** him"? Seriously, who says that kind of crap about players of their so-called favorite team?

Nasir Jones

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

Great post and to further that point back in the day (last millennia) there was also a thing called mutual respect between beat reporters and players......meaning you don't think the guys covering Mantle way back when didn't know he was at the bar till 4am the night before the game? Of course they did....they were probably drinking with him but they wouldn't blow the guy up in an article because they'd never get an interview with him or an inside scoop from him. Same thing with LT in the 80's/90's.....it was common knowledge he was partying like crazy but the beat guys kept that part out of their reporting for the most part. Today you got these no names hacks just trying to get their tweet out first and burning bridges across the board hence why you have abrasive relationships between reporters and player rather than camaraderie aka "mutual respect."

I'm half joking and half not when I ask the question what do they teach in journalism courses these days? "Forget due diligence, be first to report, don't fact check, if it turns out to be false don't retract, move on to the next one."

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post

That G1 guy actually said "**** him"? Seriously, who says that kind of crap about players of their so-called favorite team?
                    You'd be surprised. I've actually seen far worse than that lately.

Comment

lol, are you kidding? Are you new here?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post

Great post and to further that point back in the day (last millennia) there was also a thing called mutual respect between beat reporters and players......meaning you don't think the guys covering Mantle way back when didn't know he was at the bar till 4am the night before the game? Of course they did....they were probably drinking with him but they wouldn't blow the guy up in an article because they'd never get an interview with him or an inside scoop from him. Same thing with LT in the 80's/90's.....it was common knowledge he was partying like crazy but the beat guys kept that part out of their reporting for the most part. Today you got these no names hacks just trying to get their tweet out first and burning bridges across the board hence why you have abrasive relationships between reporters and player rather than camaraderie aka "mutual respect."

I'm half joking and half not when I ask the question what do they teach in journalism courses these days? "Forget due diligence, be first to report, don't fact check, if it turns out to be false don't retract, move on to the next one."
                        Very good points. The problem is now hardly anyone is an actual journalist. It used to be competitive, now everyone with an email connection can get a story out to the masses. Even if they don't have a ton of followers, if you are the first to post a picture or video of a famous person other people will spread your twitter account for you. It takes no effort. You see this reflected in their ability to write as well. I find grammatical errors in everything I read and they have spell check for god's sake. I'm not even that old (36) but this is just nuts to me. It's not limited to sports either, but we don't have to get into that.
                        LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by kissjrj View Post
                          Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson
                          FollowFollow @JosinaAnderson

More
                          #Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr tells me that he is planning to be at the #Giants facility tomorrow for the first day of the team's offseason conditioning program to "check in, workout in the gym and meet with some people." @OBJ_3 has a plane scheduled to leave later today.
                          Bravo. I would have probably lost money betting that he would not show up. It's a smart move on his part because speculation would have been through the roof had he not shown. Solid move ODB. Solid move.

Comment

Originally posted by G1.. View Post

.....yeah and?
                            your a funny guy
                            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

I think we have other teams fans on the board posing as Giants fans. How else can you explain all The disrespect for the players on the team.
                              The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by kissjrj View Post
                                Josina Anderson‏Verified account @JosinaAnderson
                                FollowFollow @JosinaAnderson

More
                                #Giants WR Odell Beckham Jr tells me that he is planning to be at the #Giants facility tomorrow for the first day of the team's offseason conditioning program to "check in, workout in the gym and meet with some people." @OBJ_3 has a plane scheduled to leave later today.
                                Funny thing is there was so many ppl in here on the edge of their seats HOPING he didn't show!!.....and that is just sad. #cuethecrickets

Comment

Working...
                                X