WHAT!! No comments on Brett Jones Resigning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxcar willie View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Brett Jones was like "player of the year" or something in the CFL. For what that's worth.
    shows you the talent difference between the CFL and NFL

Comment

Originally posted by boxcar willie View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Brett Jones was like "player of the year" or something in the CFL. For what that's worth.
      Offensive lineman of the year. Good enough for me but I bet he'd get the first down on 4th and 1 if NYG gave him the rock.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Do they currently have another player on the roster who can competently snap the ball, call for position shifting? If not, then yeah you have to have that for backup at least.
        Not really. Greco played a little Center with the Browns so they do need to draft or pick up someone

Comment

Good Grief...this board.....they re-sign Jones and people criticize it....had they not re-signed him the same people would be bashing that.....damned if you do damned if you don't I guess.....this is a great re-signing.....eye test alone the line performed better as a whole when he was in there regardless of whether he was at center or at guard. People including coaches and fans keep putting the caveat in there "we'll see." He's already proven he's a better center than Richburg. In my opinion he's also already proven he's better guard than Jerry. Health/Injury may be a concern but I guess "WE'LL SEE"

I give Reese points for finding this guy and bringing him in but either/he or the coaching staff need to be deducted said points for the failure to plug him in as a starter earlier especially with way this line has (not) performed over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dog View Post
            Ah the Canadian end of every statement, eh. Spent some time down east, n Toronta, Quebec, n Montreal, in my youth. All great places, eh
            Good looking women too them Canadians and excellent ice wine, but their beer sucks, eh.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
              Good Grief...this board.....they re-sign Jones and people criticize it....had they not re-signed him the same people would be bashing that.....damned if you do damned if you don't I guess.....this is a great re-signing.....eye test alone the line performed better as a whole when he was in there regardless of whether he was at center or at guard. People including coaches and fans keep putting the caveat in there "we'll see." He's already proven he's a better center than Richburg. In my opinion he's also already proven he's better guard than Jerry. Health/Injury may be a concern but I guess "WE'LL SEE"

I give Reese points for finding this guy and bringing him in but either/he or the coaching staff need to be deducted said points for the failure to plug him in as a starter earlier especially with way this line has (not) performed over the past few years.
              Big time upgrade for NYG, not only because he's better at blocking football players, but he comes at a much better price--for now. You make an excellent 2nd point. Reese definitely found talent, but he also would try to make a point that his picks were good by keeping guys too long when it was obviously a mistake.

Comment

I work out with a guy who played on the O line with Jones in the CFL, he says not only is Jones very strong but he is very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by CRH54 View Post
                  I work out with a guy who played on the O line with Jones in the CFL, he says not only is Jones very strong but he is very smart.
                  He scored a 43 on his wonderlic test, average score for a center was 25. And the Giants did their weekly test for the offensive lineman to see how much of he game plan they mastered. Jones wasn’t required to take the test..

Comment

Originally posted by LakeO Giant fan View Post

Offensive lineman of the year. Good enough for me but I bet he'd get the first down on 4th and 1 if NYG gave him the rock.
                    I've often thought about that too. It worked for the Fridge, '85 Bears

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dog View Post
                      Ah the Canadian end of every statement, eh. Spent some time down east, n Toronta, Quebec, n Montreal, in my youth. All great places, eh
                      we don't hear it but we know we say it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        I can play that game with you also . It still does not answer the question, Why only one year if he so great. He was an ok player on a bad O-line. He was ranked 20th out of 40 canters, Flowers 33 out of 47 LTs

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...of-2017-season

20. Brett Jones, New York Giants

Pass Protection: 18/25
                        Run Block: 15/25
                        Power: 17/20
                        Agility: 13/20
                        Position Value: 6/10
                        Overall Grade: 69/100

33. Ereck Flowers, New York Giants

Pass Protection: 15/25
                        Run Blocking: 14/20
                        Power: 12/20
                        Agility: 17/25
                        Position Value: 9/10
                        Overall Grade: 67/100

Almost identical numbers One is a great signing the other is get him outta here. I want him to play well but he is not a long term solution or he would he would have gotten more then one year.
                        The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

I can play that game with you also . It still does not answer the question, Why only one year if he so great. He was an ok player on a bad O-line. He was ranked 20th out of 40 canters, Flowers 33 out of 47 LTs

Almost identical numbers One is a great signing the other is get him outta here. I want him to play well but he is not a long term solution or he would he would have gotten more then one year.
                          Multiple people here have already explained it to you why it was only one year and you still don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post

Multiple people here have already explained it to you why it was only one year and you still don't get it.
                            I get it i just do not agree with it, Personally I think we draft a center. You don't have to agree with and come up with your opinion . That is not changing my opinion . If the Giants did not have doubts , He would have got a long term contract. Gettleman knows what he is doing. One of them may be drafting a Center.
                            The Dallas Cowboys have now gone exactly One Third of their pathetic existence without a Super bowl appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

You just don't get it. The 2nd round tender is a tool given to teams to keep a guy like Jones. It keeps him from going free agent but doesn't require them to deal with an agent who will be looking for a multiple year deal.
                              They used their judgement that he was a promising player based on his play in limited starts, but they weren't ready to commit to him long term yet.
                              So they used the 2nd round tender to give the team exactly what they wanted.

No one is saying he's "great". It seems they think he could be a solid player. But want to see him play an entire season to make their final judgement on the kid.

I don't know what you're arguing about. The team played this perfectly.
                              Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

You just don't get it. The 2nd round tender is a tool given to teams to keep a guy like Jones. It keeps him from going free agent but doesn't require them to deal with an agent who will be looking for a multiple year deal.
                                They used their judgement that he was a promising player based on his play in limited starts, but they weren't ready to commit to him long term yet.
                                So they used the 2nd round tender to give the team exactly what they wanted.

No one is saying he's "great". It seems they think he could be a solid player. But want to see him play an entire season to make their final judgement on the kid.

I don't know what you're arguing about. The team played this perfectly.
                                That is your opinion . Mine is different.

My Opinion is I see it as he is a stop gap, because they we not going to sign Richburg . It made the most sense to do . As you said thy can got him cheap for one year, I see them taking a center in this draft for a long term solution.

Comment

Working...
                                X