Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maybe front office should have looked ahead and started Webb at end of last season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post


    He might play well. You don't know unless you give him a shot. If he's just as awful as he was with the Jets than you are armed with that knowledge for next year. Watching Eli crap his pants again and again adds nothing to the Giants coaches knowledge base.
    I didn't say anything about watching Eli...I said use the little time you have in valuable pursuits.
    If you think watching Geno was a valuable use of that time because maybe he would be our starter next year, then....well, I actually don't have a way to end that sentence.
    Putting Webb in would have been very different...and if he had looked awful during that first game you would still have reason to keep him out there...and every second would have given you valuable information.
    "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

    Comment


    • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

      But you honestly know nothing about Geno Smith. Keep it real.

      City-wide gossip is not considered a verified source among any journalist circles. Even if was somewhat credible, most people hold the belief that hearsay is inadmissible even in the court of public opinion.

      Stick to the facts.
      Should we put up his game stats? That's the guy you are planning on building around?

      And to be clear, I am with Morehead on his being signed as a back-up...that was a good signing for us.
      "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

      Comment


      • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

        But you honestly know nothing about Geno Smith. Keep it real.

        Stick to the facts.
        More interceptions that TDs over his career with the Jets is about as close to a fact as one could get. rotfl

        So you like Geno, thrilled we signed him and upset that we let him go and he will be a franchise quarterback somewhere else soon. I get that you believe in him. Passion for your chosen player is an admirable quality.
        No one remembers who came in second.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

          I have to say...I am somewhat thrown off by your comments on playing Geno.

          When evaluating potential moves, you have to figure in many factors, but the one people overlook the most is time.

          The amount of real fire time available to evaluate our future QB is ridiculously limited...comically limited. If your first thought is, "let's spend some time seeing if Geno Smith plays like Geno Smith", than I have questions about that.

          And if you can't believe Eli's response to the high school level attempt at keeping a streak alive, then you are not trying very hard.
          Eli's response is comically short sighted. He deserved to be benched. they sucked. The benching wasn't merely about his performance as a player. It was about them not being able to not make the playoffs as a TEAM.

          If you really believed Eli can lead us to another run this year or next why risk the injury in meaningless games?

          Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

          http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jomo View Post

            More interceptions that TDs over his career with the Jets is about as close to a fact as one could get. rotfl

            So you like Geno, thrilled we signed him and upset that we let him go and he will be a franchise quarterback somewhere else soon. I get that you believe in him. Passion for your chosen player is an admirable quality.
            Why not play the backup when the starter has led you to 2-9, in fact, started 0-5? Geno would be hard pressed to have performed worse.
            Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

            http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

            Comment


            • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

              Why not play the backup when the starter has led you to 2-9, in fact, started 0-5? Geno would be hard pressed to have performed worse.
              Nothing to be gained with Geno.
              It is not fair (or humane) just to start Geno so that he can take the pounding.
              Winning games were not the issue since the season was effectively over.
              So there needed to be greater purpose for starting someone else.

              An NFL backup QB will be one of two things:

              A cheap veteran if the starter gets hurt, Rarely will this guy become the franchise quarterback. Think David Carr.
              A young player who could be the franchise QB.

              We have no disagreement that we should have been playing another QB.
              We disagree on who that should have been.

              I believe it had to be Webb.
              No one remembers who came in second.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

                Eli's response is comically short sighted. He deserved to be benched. they sucked. The benching wasn't merely about his performance as a player. It was about them not being able to not make the playoffs as a TEAM.

                If you really believed Eli can lead us to another run this year or next why risk the injury in meaningless games?
                Of course they should have sat Eli and played Webb...not sure why you think I believe otherwise.

                What they should not have done was handle it in the manner they did.
                "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

                Comment


                • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

                  I'll make it simpler. What was the risk of watching this guy for 3 games at the point we were 2-9?
                  Smith? What would be the point?

                  I can understand wanting to understand what you have in your draftee. He should have played.

                  There is just no logical reason to waste downs, series or games watching your soon to be cut backup QB play. Unless the theory is change for change's sake. In which case, as I said, is not logical at all.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

                    Eli's response is comically short sighted. He deserved to be benched. they sucked. The benching wasn't merely about his performance as a player. It was about them not being able to not make the playoffs as a TEAM.

                    If you really believed Eli can lead us to another run this year or next why risk the injury in meaningless games?
                    That doesn't sound logical so much as it sounds pointlessly punitive. I didn't see this discussion about any of the other starters.

                    Nonetheless, Manning's reaction to the clowning was actually the only thoughtful response in the entire cluster.

                    "If you want to see those guys, start them and let them play the full games as opposed to this inane absurdity you're proposing, coach."
                    Last edited by Sarcasman; 04-18-2018, 05:57 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

                      Smith? What would be the point?
                      There was no point, couldn't agree more.
                      Webb, we all would have understood the point.

                      No one remembers who came in second.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jomo View Post
                        There was no point, couldn't agree more.
                        Webb, we all would have understood the point.
                        agreed

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

                          So what kind of back up QB is the best in your view? One who has never taken a snap in the NFL? Or one who has started and won NFL games with a bad team like the Jets?
                          There were better options then Geno Smith .

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Delicreep View Post

                            If your first thought is, "let's spend some time seeing if Geno Smith plays like Geno Smith", than I have questions about that.
                            Yup. No one in the NY area needed to see what Geno was (or is). Mac's mistake was benching Eli for the wrong guy.

                            I honestly cant say I blame him in that situation. I more blame Mara and JR for a bad decision hiring him in the first place.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

                              Yup. No one in the NY area needed to see what Geno was (or is). Mac's mistake was benching Eli for the wrong guy.

                              I honestly cant say I blame him in that situation. I more blame Mara and JR for a bad decision hiring him in the first place.
                              Shades of gray to me but I agree, he should have never been here.
                              No one remembers who came in second.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by G1.. View Post

                                There were better options then Geno Smith .
                                As much as it may pain you to hear this, your nemesis Morehead summed it up perfectly. Smith was signed to be backup and it was a good signing. He is a cable NFL backup QB.

                                He wasn't intended nor was there ever a reason for him to ever be the starting QB.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X