Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why draft a QB when our own coach says he lacks Elite arm strength?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PRGiant View Post
    I hate the pick because he's a qb but you don't need elite arm strength to be a succeed in the nfl.
    Why hate the pick if you realize arm strength is not close to being the top quality? It's a 4th rounder, sheer crapshoot.

What about accuracy? What about pocket awareness? What about footwork? What about throwing on the run?

Lauletta does all of those well. Shurmer said it best. Arm strength is 4th on his list for QB qualities.

Comment

Thanks Jerseyrattler. Yeah, would’ve helped if included the link. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by moosedrool View Post

Why hate the pick if you realize arm strength is not close to being the top quality? It's a 4th rounder, sheer crapshoot.

What about accuracy? What about pocket awareness? What about footwork? What about throwing on the run?

Lauletta does all of those well. Shurmer said it best. Arm strength is 4th on his list for QB qualities.
        Yep. They said the same thing about Montana and Brady and if I’m not mistaken, they turned out to be pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

Because elite arm strength is amoungst the least important attributes in a QB these days
          "Elite" but this guy is barely adequate. IMO at best he's another Chad Pennington.

Comment

Brady' comparisons have to stop, Brady could throw the ball 75 yards, I doubt he can throw 50. They never questioned Peyton Arm, just that it wasn't as strong as Leaf's at the time. This guy can barely make sideline throws without leaving the pocket. I don't want to hate on the pick, would love either he or Webb succeed Eli but I don't see it with this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SoJucobast View Post
              Thanks Jerseyrattler. Yeah, would’ve helped if included the link. Lol.
              http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/...8-2faeea07f375

Comment

Before we all go bananas and start insulting each other about the traits of each pick, while pretending to be expert evaluators of personnel, why don't we wait and see what happens when they take the field? I see that some here criticize the picks based on a single trait, in this case arm strength, and do not see the entire picture. I do not know much about any of the Giants pick, other than what the "experts" are saying, who most of the time are completely wrong. Engram, for example, was called "a matchup nightmare" but how often was he really that? There are many factors in play in actual game: from coaching to individual performance to weather to how fast the water boy hands out the gatorade. To me the key factor is how the coaching staff is using the strengths of each player and how well they compensate for the weaknesses. Engram could be a "matchup nightmare" if he is used correctly by the coaching staff. But having a HC who used to be Rodgers waterboy did no favors to Engram or any other player for that matter.

I am not sure why arm strength is such a big deal over let's say decision making. Are we expecting out QB's to throw bombs all the time? Would the Oline give them the time? etc etc. For example, take Eli (love him or hate him): some say he has many faults: noodle arm, throwing with his back foot, INT machine, cannot throw a screen, etc. but none of that mattered when he was instrumental in delivering us 2 SB's.

Here is an evaluation for the Performance Lab of California (whoever they are) on this kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKG-ug5j8O0
                Take it for whatever it is worth. I, for one, will wait to see the entire package before I can set my expectations at a high level for anyone on this team and the team in general.

Comment

We already have a project qb, use one of the few picks we have in the draft to fill a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by PRGiant View Post

We already have a project qb, use one of the few picks we have in the draft to fill a hole.
                    Project QB's don't pan out very often. Having two increases the chances one does.

Comment

Originally posted by WayBackFan View Post
                      Remember Bobby Douglas?

He could throw it through a brick wall.

Unfortunately, nobody could catch a ball thrown that hard.
                      Like that pass Eli threw on that slant that put OBJ into position to get put out for the rest of the 017 Season.
                      I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Living View Post
                        It was said at the time of his draft that Peyton Manning didn’t have elite arm strength, same for Joe Montana and Tom Brady........how did those situations work out?
                        Brady's arm strength is actually not bad at all. Remember that throw to Moss in the 07 Superbowl?
                        I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsforce View Post
                          Before we all go bananas and start insulting each other about the traits of each pick, while pretending to be expert evaluators of personnel, why don't we wait and see what happens when they take the field? I see that some here criticize the picks based on a single trait, in this case arm strength, and do not see the entire picture. I do not know much about any of the Giants pick, other than what the "experts" are saying, who most of the time are completely wrong. Engram, for example, was called "a matchup nightmare" but how often was he really that? There are many factors in play in actual game: from coaching to individual performance to weather to how fast the water boy hands out the gatorade. To me the key factor is how the coaching staff is using the strengths of each player and how well they compensate for the weaknesses. Engram could be a "matchup nightmare" if he is used correctly by the coaching staff. But having a HC who used to be Rodgers waterboy did no favors to Engram or any other player for that matter.

I am not sure why arm strength is such a big deal over let's say decision making. Are we expecting out QB's to throw bombs all the time? Would the Oline give them the time? etc etc. For example, take Eli (love him or hate him): some say he has many faults: noodle arm, throwing with his back foot, INT machine, cannot throw a screen, etc. but none of that mattered when he was instrumental in delivering us 2 SB's.

Here is an evaluation for the Performance Lab of California (whoever they are) on this kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKG-ug5j8O0
                          Take it for whatever it is worth. I, for one, will wait to see the entire package before I can set my expectations at a high level for anyone on this team and the team in general.
                          It has nothing to do with bombs at all its about cutting through the wind on a 20 yard out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppy View Post

that's funny becasue Lamar jackson can throw the ball 95 yards, further than josh allen. so much for ourlads data.
                            Its data from the NFL combine data not ourlads made up data.
                            Most of you can't seem to grasp that how far a guy throws has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I more concerned about driving the ball into small windows on intermediate throws.
                            You guys keep saying elite arm strength, he doesn't have average arm strength, if he had average arm strength I wouldn't of posted.anything on it.

Last thing I'm going to say on the matter. I used to cut a ton of film for draftbreakdownn when it first started, this doesn't make me an expert at all but it does give me a large amount of reference points to make comparisons. I was not 60 seconds into a video and I noticed his arm was sub-par for an NFL QB. I got curious after that looking for statistical measurements to check my eyes and found that they were correct.

Does that mean he can't be a successful NFL QB? Of course not, but statistically speaking he is a lot less likely to be a successful starting QB, that's all.

Last edited by Redeyejedi; 05-01-2018, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Project QB's don't pan out very often. Having two increases the chances one does.
                              I agree with that, still think I rather get the roster position and a different pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X