Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even if the Giants are right about Saquon Barkley, if the Jets are right about Sam Darnold, then the Giants are wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the plus side of all of this, there are two salient points to consider. 1st, Davis Webb has potential and we drafted Kyle Lauletta, and both have their aupporters whi have said that they may end up being one of the top QBs in their respective draft. Also, by drafting Lauletta, it creates competition not only for the backup job but for the starting job in the future. This should light a fire under both to get better and to be orepared when their chance comes. Second, our new coach is allegedly the “QB whisperer.” Maybe he can maximize the potential of Webb or Lauletta.

Brian Billick was on NFL channel or ESPN when I was watching and boldly proclaimed that Kyle Lauletta would end up being thr best QB im this draft because he’s a winner, has moxie, and that “it” factor. Hope he’s right or the Davis Webb suporters are right.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...-117842034/Amp

Here is a great article on Davis Webb from kast year’s draft. Webb is an intruiging prospect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...nfl-draft/amp/

Comment

• Originally posted by timmytimm3 View Post

"Early drops: The Giants dropped four passes in the first quarter, two by Odell Beckham Jr. and two by Sterling Shepard. Each player dropped passes that would have gone for touchdowns. Beckham ended the game with a career-high three drops."

from: https://www.bigblueview.com/nfl-play...playoffs-recap
      We also lost DRC like on the 2nd play of the game. That killed our secondary big time as AR started picking on DRC's backups all game long & lit em up. The dropped TDs by OBJ/Shep, DRC injury & giving up that hail mary right before the half with us down just 7-6 are what killed us. The game was still close early in the 3rd qt. at 14-13 after the Eli to King TD, but then AR lit up the DRC less secondary & of course when your run game can only produce 70yds for the day, you can't keep AR on the bench that way. GB won TOP by 9 1/2 min too.

In the week 5 23-16 loss to GB they had the ball a staggering 36:38 min due to being able to run the ball for 147yds on us. Hard to put up points & win a game when you only have the ball 23:22 min.

Comment

• Ibhavw a different perspective. I believe both will be great. However, Darnold will have more speed bumps than Barkley. What makes Barkley so undervalued by naysayers is that we all know quarterbacks are protected and there is no way to protect a running back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

In this world of endless content, it’s cute that print editors somewhere still say things like, “give me a 700 -1000 word page filler for Sunday”.

I wanted a QB as well but I don’t have a 1,000 word requirement so I can skip the illogical tangents and cut right to the chase.

If any of the 4 QB prospects takes their team to a championship while the Giants don’t win one, the pick was wrong. If not, it wasn’t.

Fin....with 975 words to spare.
          That's about right.

for all those that wanted a qb, the discussion we're all having right now would be the same if we had chosen darnold/allen/Rosen.

it's not a 'win' if we had picked a qb. He has to be worth the pick in the long run, with whomever we choose.

sarcasm's post is all that really needs to be said on the subject.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

It's an interesting phenomenon on this board. If you dare acknowledge that our current starting QB is approaching 38 years old and the end of his career and/or the downward trend of his play the past few seasons.... you just get labeled an "Eli Hater" and have your allegiance to the Giants questioned.

God forbid objectivity and constructive criticism enter a discussion.
            We certainly have that element on here, but it's equivalent on the other side is that the ultimate goal of this draft was to draft a qb at #2. If we picked a qb then it's mission accomplished. It doesn't matter if the qb turns out to be a bust because there's that risk in any draft pick so as long as we take a qb at 2 we did the right thing.

it's reasonable to want Eli'a replacement at #2, it's also reasonable to question the options available to replace eli.

all in also your point of constructive criticism is well said
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BronxBomberBlue View Post

A great quarterback is more valuable to a team than a great running back.
              Not if he is going to sit for 2 years on the bench. We don't need a QB for probably the next 3 seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

Not if he is going to sit for 2 years on the bench. We don't need a QB for probably the next 3 seasons.
                No QB we drafted at #2 would have sat on the bench for 2 years. Not sure why people keep saying that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bashful View Post

How much are you willing to bet on this USC QB, he is a lump. Carson Palmer is the last QB to make it a splash from USC. This QB class was a media hype.
                  The QB class every year is media hype. Lol. Fans fall for it every single season as well.
                  “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

• I forgot how ridiculous these threads get
                    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

Comment

• Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post

We certainly have that element on here, but it's equivalent on the other side is that the ultimate goal of this draft was to draft a qb at #2. If we picked a qb then it's mission accomplished. It doesn't matter if the qb turns out to be a bust because there's that risk in any draft pick so as long as we take a qb at 2 we did the right thing.

it's reasonable to want Eli'a replacement at #2, it's also reasonable to question the options available to replace eli.

all in also your point of constructive criticism is well said
                      Yeah I disagreed with the ilk that were saying "take a QB no matter what because a QB taken at #2 is going to be your franchise QB." Didn't make sense to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

No one is denying that Barkley is a better pick than Darnold in the short term. Darnold may not even play in 2018. But when you have a 37 year old quarterback and have the 2nd overall pick, then the right decision to make IMO is to take the potential franchise quarterback for the long term. Especially if the team isn't just one player away from winning it all.

PS: I'll be shocked if Eli Manning is the starting quarterback in 2020 at the age of 39.

Comment

No one is denying that Barkley is a better pick than Darnold in the short term. Darnold may not even play in 2018. But when you have a 37 year old quarterback and have the 2nd overall pick, then the right decision to make IMO is to take the potential franchise quarterback for the long term. Especially if the team isn't just one player away from winning it all.

PS: I'll be shocked if Eli Manning is the starting quarterback in 2020 at the age of 39.
                          Me too. I sincerely hope he’s not. I read an article yesterday thats premise was “post draft the Patriots have not addressed their Brady problem”.

It’ll be interesting to see how all these teams, there’s about 5 or 6 of them, deal with this transition over the next few years.

Comment

Of course I understand the reasoning behind your stance, it's very logical. But to me there is a caveat to that decision. How long can you let the 2nd pick in the draft sit and give you nothing ? You would force a showdown in 2019. And with a rookie QB or one who hasn't played for a year or 2 we are going to be a weaker team.

With Barkley Eli has a much better chance of starting again in 2019 and possibly 2020 which would definitely make us a stronger team. Without Barkley you would be severely handicapping Eli's and the Giants success this season. Eli and the Giants are going to be much stronger with Barkley in the lineup this year "plus" the future.

In 3 years from now half this team are different players. There will be QB's available if you don't want to give the reigns to Webb. When is Keenan loose ? How about Cousins ? or somebody I don't know about. If we can't draft one. But you know there will be other options and 2-3 years from now in todays NFL is like night and day in how teams look.

IMO I don't want to blow this chance to get a RB like this cause we'll probably not get a chance to get one anywhere near as dangerous as Barkley. It would have been a travesty to pass Barkley up. Christmas has arrived in New Jersey.

Comment

Working...
                            X