Some Film Analysis on Saquon Barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Film Analysis on Saquon Barkley

Barkley is a controversial pick among Giants fans but I believe the Giants made the right decision. I think the pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons and that we got a generational pick as well as the BPA. The two posted links are videos from youtubers I regularly watch and I feel they hit the nail right on the head regarding Saquon. I think Gettleman did the right thing by giving Eli the benefit of the doubt for one more year and picking Barkley. Hopefully this will generate a healthy debate regarding this pick for better and not for worse lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7dtDoZv3Oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7UFOEwZ-hM
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Nothing?
    “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Comment

It’s crazy to think how good Odell has been with no running game. Imagine what he can do now, then when they go to double him Barkley will have a day. If Shurmur can be the great mind I think he can and with Eli’s experience and ability to read defenses we can really have a great season. Not to mention something else this will do, help the defense! Couldn’t believe how much they were on the field last year, never seen anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueBlue15 View Post
        It’s crazy to think how good Odell has been with no running game. Imagine what he can do now, then when they go to double him Barkley will have a day. If Shurmur can be the great mind I think he can and with Eli’s experience and ability to read defenses we can really have a great season. Not to mention something else this will do, help the defense! Couldn’t believe how much they were on the field last year, never seen anything like it.
        When your O can only convert 4 of 12 3rd down conversions on avg, that will keep your D on the field way more than you want them to be. Lack of a run game will do that to an O.

Weekly 3rd dn conversions stats for the Giants O

week 1 vs Dallas 4-12
        week 2 vs Detroit 4-12
        week 3 vs Philly 3-10
        week 4 vs TB 8-17
        week 5 vs LAC 5-15
        week 6 vs Den 4-14
        week 7 vs Sea 2-12
        week 8 vs Rams 8-16
        week 9 vs SF 5-14
        week 10 vs KC 3-13
        week 11 vs Wash 2-14
        week 12 vs Oak 5-14
        week 13 vs Dallas 6-16
        week 14 vs Philly 10-18
        week 15 vs Az 1-14
        week 16 vs Wash 4-16

74 for 227 on 3rd dn conversions is pretty pathetic! That comes out to 4.6 3rd dn conversions per game. Not gonna win a lot of football games with less than 5 3rd dn conversions per game. That is mostly attributed to a lack of a run game. When you only can get 2-3 ypc & are almost always in 3rd & 6 or 2nd & 8, hopefully that changes this yr with Barkley, I'm pretty sure it will.

Comment

How is a pick on a position that averages 3 years in longevity a "generational pick?"

I really want him to be that type of player. But I still dont see it.

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post
            How is a pick on a position that averages 3 years in longevity a "generational pick?"

The avg career in the NFL is 3 years. I would have to do research with other teams but just looking at the giants roster from 5 years ago only 3 players remain or about 6% 2 of which aren't starters. I would venture to guess this is pretty common in the nfl. Teams change so much. It's so hard to look more than 3 years down the road. I really wanted Barkley. But I get it. What concerns me more is the cap cuts the giants should make next year and how we didnt address those positions in the draft. (Jenkins and vernon)
            [SIGPIC]

Comment

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...otball-league/

we should have picked a punter/kicker

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

When your O can only convert 4 of 12 3rd down conversions on avg, that will keep your D on the field way more than you want them to be. Lack of a run game will do that to an O.

Weekly 3rd dn conversions stats for the Giants O

week 1 vs Dallas 4-12
                week 2 vs Detroit 4-12
                week 3 vs Philly 3-10
                week 4 vs TB 8-17
                week 5 vs LAC 5-15
                week 6 vs Den 4-14
                week 7 vs Sea 2-12
                week 8 vs Rams 8-16
                week 9 vs SF 5-14
                week 10 vs KC 3-13
                week 11 vs Wash 2-14
                week 12 vs Oak 5-14
                week 13 vs Dallas 6-16
                week 14 vs Philly 10-18
                week 15 vs Az 1-14
                week 16 vs Wash 4-16

74 for 227 on 3rd dn conversions is pretty pathetic! That comes out to 4.6 3rd dn conversions per game. Not gonna win a lot of football games with less than 5 3rd dn conversions per game. That is mostly attributed to a lack of a run game. When you only can get 2-3 ypc & are almost always in 3rd & 6 or 2nd & 8, hopefully that changes this yr with Barkley, I'm pretty sure it will.
                You know whats extra awesome? Our worst offensive performance in that regard was against our shiney new D-Coordinator. Now that's how you scout for the coaches you go after, lol.

Comment

RBs that are avg, below avg & just plain suck , have a 3-4 yr NFL lifespan. The great ones play a decade or more. Can't rush for over 10,000+yds & 50-75-100 TDs if you're only gonna play 3-4 yrs in the NFL. So plz stop applying that 3-4yr shelf life on Barkley. All the great RBs in NFL history that are the top 20 rushers of all time, played way more than just 3-4 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by rtahsin View Post
                    Barkley is a controversial pick among Giants fans but I believe the Giants made the right decision. I think the pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons and that we got a generational pick as well as the BPA. The two posted links are videos from youtubers I regularly watch and I feel they hit the nail right on the head regarding Saquon. I think Gettleman did the right thing by giving Eli the benefit of the doubt for one more year and picking Barkley. Hopefully this will generate a healthy debate regarding this pick for better and not for worse lol.

That is not film it is highlights , A big deference.
                    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

I agree.
                      "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

The kid has mighty expectations.

"Generational talent" and "On par with prospect status of Peyton Manning" are being thrown around, and he better be able to live up to it.

All I know is, now that it is over, Im all on board and hope he the best RB we ever had.
                        http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

Comment

rtahsin it all comes down to whether we trust DG or not. Regardless of how Barkley's career turns out I think he made the right decision. He had Barkley rated the same as Peyton Manning, higher than anyone else he has ever scouted. You have to draft that guy if you have the chance. Period.

I do think this is going to work out really well for us. Seeing the kind of offense Shurmur was able to run in Minnesota last year. The different looks. The number of formations they had success with. The players they had. If you don't have high hopes for this team right now you never will.

That is the most misused stat ever. QBs only average 4.4 years. So what. You have to realize that this accounts for every single player in the NFL. That 7th round draft pick counts. The undrafted rookie that signs on to go to camp counts. Every crappy player counts. Here are more stats to help put this nonsense to bed. If a rookie makes the opening day roster that career average is 6 years. A 1st round draft pick (regardless of position) has a 9 year average. Players that make the Pro Bowl at least once have an 11.7 year average.

Simply put, good players have long careers. Bad ones have short careers.
                          LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                          "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                            Simply put, good players have long careers. Bad ones have short careers.
                            Not that simple - some good players get injured and cut short their careers. Especially players that are constantly taking big hits every time they get the ball.

Again, I hope he ends up being our best RB in history. But until he does, I still dont like taking an RB at 2.

Comment

Good finds. We've got a gem here. With a name like "The Human Cheat Code" you know you're getting something special. The consensus has been in about him. "There are very few players I'd voluntarily punch myself in the nuts for." Classic! We are going to be happy fans this season!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X