Some Film Analysis on Saquon Barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

Not that simple - some good players get injured and cut short their careers. Especially players that are constantly taking big hits every time they get the ball.

Again, I hope he ends up being our best RB in history. But until he does, I still dont like taking an RB at 2.
    Bo Jackson was definitely one of the few. However, I guarantee that you will not only accept the decision to take him at 2 but will also be thankful!

Comment

Not that simple - some good players get injured and cut short their careers. Especially players that are constantly taking big hits every time they get the ball.

Again, I hope he ends up being our best RB in history. But until he does, I still dont like taking an RB at 2.
      Let's hope that because of the receiving threats and abilities our team will have, opposing defenses will not get away with stacking the box - as they could with one dimensional running teams, and beat the hell out of the back.
      When the average career span of RBs is pointed out, it would seem it is better to get one fresh out of college, than pay through FA for one who already has the miles on him and may not be physically able to do all the things he originally could. Getting one who is not only and exceptional runner, but also perceived to be NFL ready for receiving and blocking - he's earning his money right off.

Comment

I think many folks, myself included do not have an issue with Barkley's play on the field. He should be very good, and make a significant impact in both the run and pass games. From a purely football perspective, I think he is a very good pick. My problem has been around the business side of the NFL, where his salary slots based on his draft, vs average running back salaries league wide.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsreal View Post

Bo Jackson was definitely one of the few. However, I guarantee that you will not only accept the decision to take him at 2 but will also be thankful!
          Dont get me wrong, I WANT to be proven wrong on this. But I remember the last RB we took in the first round...

Comment

Anyone see the special last not on ESPN on him and Chubb
            Football has been very, very good to us.
            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
            4-New York Giants!!!
            5-NE
            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Dont get me wrong, I WANT to be proven wrong on this. But I remember the last RB we took in the first round...
              Bull Sh^t. You love complaining more than anything. You want to be right more than anything. To say otherwise, you are lying to yourself. Nothing would make you happier than if the NYG suck, barkley sucks, so you can say "told you so"... "I was right". Don't pretend to support your team when you don't ever support your team. Ridiculous.

Last edited by bigpoppy; 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
                rtahsin it all comes down to whether we trust DG or not. Regardless of how Barkley's career turns out I think he made the right decision. He had Barkley rated the same as Peyton Manning, higher than anyone else he has ever scouted. You have to draft that guy if you have the chance. Period.

I do think this is going to work out really well for us. Seeing the kind of offense Shurmur was able to run in Minnesota last year. The different looks. The number of formations they had success with. The players they had. If you don't have high hopes for this team right now you never will.

That is the most misused stat ever. QBs only average 4.4 years. So what. You have to realize that this accounts for every single player in the NFL. That 7th round draft pick counts. The undrafted rookie that signs on to go to camp counts. Every crappy player counts. Here are more stats to help put this nonsense to bed. If a rookie makes the opening day roster that career average is 6 years. A 1st round draft pick (regardless of position) has a 9 year average. Players that make the Pro Bowl at least once have an 11.7 year average.

Simply put, good players have long careers. Bad ones have short careers.
                Didn't ya know? Emmitt Smith rushed for 18000+ yds, 100+ TDs in just 4.5 yrs. JIm Brown 12000+yds? 4 yrs. Barry Sanders 15000yds 99 TDs? 3.5 yrs.

Barkley will be outta the NFL by 2022 according to the "experts" on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

Didn't ya know? Emmitt Smith rushed for 18000+ yds, 100+ TDs in just 4.5 yrs. JIm Brown 12000+yds? 4 yrs. Barry Sanders 15000yds 99 TDs? 3.5 yrs.

Barkley will be outta the NFL by 2022 according to the "experts" on this board.
                  Yeah it is just silly. Even look at other decent RBs in the modern NFL. Take Jonathan Stewart who made the Pro Bowl 1 time and eclipsed 1,000 yards 1 time. He has been in the league for 10 years. When Tiki Barber announced his retirement after 10 years people were shocked and wondered why he hung them up so early. Even Ricky Williams who quit football played in 11 NFL seasons missing two entire seasons during his career.

Good running backs (same for any position) stick around for years and only if they get injured do they have a very short career.
                  LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                  "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

You don't have to like it, I'm not trying to convince you to like it. I am disputing the stat that you threw out there because it is not relevant.

Now about your injury concerns. I would question if there is any truth to a RB being more prone to career shortening/ending injuries than other positions, of course still thinking of high quality players. Bottom line is injuries happen to all sorts of players and often times it's something you can't predict. David Wilson had that freak neck injury, Plaxico Burress shot himself in the leg, Jason Sehorn blew his knee up return a kick off, Justin Pugh blew out his knee and then wrecked his back. You can't predict these things, just hope for the best.

Burress - gun shot
                    Nicks - foot
                    Steve Smith - knee
                    Cruz - knee
                    Hixon - knee
                    ODB - knee
                    Manningham - knee (with 49ers)

We have lost more WRs to injury than any other position over the last decade. Hopefully ODB returns to his former self, none of these other guys ever did.
                    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Yeah it is just silly. Even look at other decent RBs in the modern NFL. Take Jonathan Stewart who made the Pro Bowl 1 time and eclipsed 1,000 yards 1 time. He has been in the league for 10 years. When Tiki Barber announced his retirement after 10 years people were shocked and wondered why he hung them up so early. Even Ricky Williams who quit football played in 11 NFL seasons missing two entire seasons during his career.

Good running backs (same for any position) stick around for years and only if they get injured do they have a very short career.
                      Let's not forget Barry hung it up after just 10yrs with about 2 good yrs left in the tank, same goes for Tiki who at 31, ran for 1662yds & 5TDs, 53 rec for 485yds for a total of 2127yds from scrimmage in his 10th yr in the NFL.

Tiki accumulated 2000+ combined rushing /rec yds in his final 3 seasons at the ages of 29-30-31
                      Barry Sanders only accomplished this feat 2x in his career

In his last game as a Giant, Tiki rushed for 234yds & 3 TDs vs the Skins. At 31yrs old! the previous yr at age 30, Tiki rushed for 200+ yds 3x for a total of 4 games in his career where he hit the 200+yd mark. All 4 occurred during his 9th & 10th yrs in the NFL. Tiki also had a 95yd TD run vs Oak in the 2005 season finale in which he rushed for 203yds

Barring injury, this kid will obliterate Tiki's Giants records by his 7thyr-8th yr in a Giants uniform

It's been over 12yrs since opposing DCs had sleepless nights thinking about how to contain/stop our run game. It starts again for them in 2018 & beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by rtahsin View Post
                        Nothing?
                        Gettleman said Barkley was the best prospect he graded in his 45 year career. The perfect prospect. Barry Sanders on steroids, without being a quitter like Barry. Barkley was stronger than future Hall of Fame lineman Joe Thomas in the combine. Faster than Odell Beckham. The charisma of Broadway Joe. Barkley is the perfect prospect.

Barkley already set the all-time record for jersey sales for draft night. Mara must be smiling.
                        Last edited by Blue_ToThe_Bone; 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

How is a pick on a position that averages 3 years in longevity a "generational pick?"

I really want him to be that type of player. But I still dont see it.
                          I'd rather draft a player with a relatively short very productive career than be stuck with a QB who can't perform 10 years after his prime. This latest trend of QBs playing to 40 years old is ridiculous. Someone needs to tell them to hang it up, too bad most fans are nostalgic for the "good 'ole days".
                          Last edited by Blue_ToThe_Bone; 05-02-2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

rtahsin it all comes down to whether we trust DG or not. Regardless of how Barkley's career turns out I think he made the right decision. He had Barkley rated the same as Peyton Manning, higher than anyone else he has ever scouted. You have to draft that guy if you have the chance. Period.

I do think this is going to work out really well for us. Seeing the kind of offense Shurmur was able to run in Minnesota last year. The different looks. The number of formations they had success with. The players they had. If you don't have high hopes for this team right now you never will.

That is the most misused stat ever. QBs only average 4.4 years. So what. You have to realize that this accounts for every single player in the NFL. That 7th round draft pick counts. The undrafted rookie that signs on to go to camp counts. Every crappy player counts. Here are more stats to help put this nonsense to bed. If a rookie makes the opening day roster that career average is 6 years. A 1st round draft pick (regardless of position) has a 9 year average. Players that make the Pro Bowl at least once have an 11.7 year average.

Could not have said it better myself.

Comment

Agreed. Although I do understand why people are upset or skeptical about picking a RB as the #2 overall pick. RBs have the stigma of being a dime a dozen. I'm not sure if there are stats for this but it may be easier to find a good RB vs an ok QB; it may be the relative scarcity of talent at the QB position.

However, that all being said, if the FO has graded Barkley ahead of all other positions then they should simply go for the guy they rated so high. No reason to reach for a pick based on value.
                              “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Comment

im not even gonna say this kid is the next bo. but he is by leaps and bounds the most gifted rb this team has ever had. this team is about to be fun to watch again.

Comment

Working...
                                X