Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leonard: Pressure on Eli Manning as Giants have built entire 2018 season around their aging QB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CGYgiant View Post

I hear this argument a lot but I dont think it works. I saw a stat that showed that Eli's passer rating fell off quite a bit when he had more than 2.5 seconds to throw.

Which makes sense in a offence built on timing. If he had to hold the ball longer than that the timing was likely going to be off and Eli was "scrambling" to find time to make something happen off platform, which is not a thing he does well at all.

Eli's issue is and always will be a lack of accuracy/ball placement. Wether that be in a clean pocket or a muddy one. Throwing consistently high isn't the best to generate YAC
    I agree in part and I'm not here to prove he's a golden boy,just think and I would be the first to want change at QB if he can't lift his game, but I believe he has something left in the tank and with a real offense and a average to above average run game he will be able to still win games,it's funny how so many knowledge able fans don't get how hamstrung an offense is when it's one-dimensional especially when it's the same crap year in and year out how hard do you think it was for D coordinators to game plan there 3 and 4 man rush showing no respect to the Giants run game,you seem smart and probably get what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Eli is terrible under pressure anymore. I have no idea what you are seeing. The old Eli who made subtle lateral moves in the pocket to create time is long gone.
      What's left is a guy who can't move at all, goes down without being touched and chucks and ducks.

He NEEDS a lot of protection because he breaks down amid a pass rush.
      Its hard to argue with that. But hopefully the new scheme, Improved line, and improved running game can help. Will we see the eli of sb 42 or the eli of the Vikings game 2 years ago? It will probably be somewhere in between. However, Eli will more than likely be asked to be a game manager.
      Last edited by bigbluejeep8888; 05-04-2018, 04:59 PM.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

His biggest issue is throwing deep, and no, throwing deep isn't a "arm strength" issue. Eli was once the best deep ball thrower in the league behind a **** poor OL. He was great dispite having an average arm. I dont know whats happened since but it is what it is.

With McBride he threw a lot of deep balls. With Mac-whosit's offense, not so much.

With practice comes good timing.
        "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by WayBackFan View Post

With McBride he threw a lot of deep balls. With Mac-whosit's offense, not so much.

With practice comes good timing.
          Well, his passer rating on deep balls was 38.8, if he threw the ball into the turf every time last year rather than throwing it deep his passer rating would have been 39.6 on the very same attempts. Some food for thought

We can choose to blame everything around him, sure they had their part to play. Thats just terrible

Comment

I have been saying for a long time that I think Eli is done but now I'm rethinking my thinking because I have that much faith in Gettleman as a good GM that his opinion of Eli is that he has at least 2 more good season left. think it was a very ballsy move on Gettlemans part to pass on all of the QBs in round one and stick with Eli...

Comment

He has a good enough arm. He can make all the throws its just not a strength.

He absolutely has anticipation skills, he leads receivers well on short/intermediate routes, ball placement is excellent. He throws guys open a lot which is a good sign of his anticipation skills, similar to Rosen IMO.

His biggest issue is throwing deep, and no, throwing deep isn't a "arm strength" issue. Eli was once the best deep ball thrower in the league behind a **** poor OL. He was great dispite having an average arm. I dont know whats happened since but it is what it is.

All in all, im of the belief that Kyle is a really good fit for Shurmurs offence, he likes spreading the ball horizontally rather than vertically.

Based on what i've heard from Shurmur in regards to what he likes in his QB's (prototype for most offences these days):

1. Accuracy/Ball placement
              2. Decision making
              3. Anticipation
              4. Arm Strength
              5. Scramble ability

Lauletta is a pretty good QB based on this profile. Eli? well, I question his current post snap ability immensely, he's not very accurate with generally poor ball placement. Decision making isn't the best and can't scramble at all. Eli does throw with anticipation and has decent arm strength.

Eli wins pre snap, which is very important. How quickly can Laulette close the gap mentally? lets see.
              That is one robust analysis for a guy from Richmond playing in the Colonial Athletic Conference lol.
              Let's wait til training camp and hope for the best.
              That's a good starting point.
              No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Eli is terrible under pressure anymore. I have no idea what you are seeing. The old Eli who made subtle lateral moves in the pocket to create time is long gone.
                What's left is a guy who can't move at all, goes down without being touched and chucks and ducks.

He NEEDS a lot of protection because he breaks down amid a pass rush.
                Once he learns to be conferrable in the pocket ,again, once he can trust his O linemen ...again he will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by buried_in_snow View Post

Understood.

But if his OL isn't that good (which it wasn't) then he and Bell are making the most of it.
                  Ben just said on nfl live the other day that with his OL he could play another 3 to 5 years.
                  Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                    Ben also had one of the top oline. Easy to do well with all those weapons and passing lanes as wide as the red sea.
                    I know. See my post #68.

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post

Now this thread is getting interesting.
                      We may get shut down but we could make these boards very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jomo View Post

That is one robust analysis for a guy from Richmond playing in the Colonial Athletic Conference lol.
                        Let's wait til training camp and hope for the best.
                        That's a good starting point.
                        lol, perhaps. I think we may have finally got our mid round QB that will potentially amount to something, his profile is different then the guys JR took

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post
                          I know. See my post #68.
                          Yep and he just said he doesn't want to mentor anyone. Wonder how those guys getting on Eli would react to that.

Comment

Originally posted by bruiser1 View Post

TOTALLY agree, folds like a lawn chair and then the infamous fetal position. Seen with my own eyes many times.Not an Eli hater just telling what I've seen last 14 yrs
                            You are agreeing with the wrong post. Btw have your vision checked because I saw a QB who helped win us 2 SBs.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaint View Post
                              Yep and he just said he doesn't want to mentor anyone. Wonder how those guys getting on Eli would react to that.
                              They only whine about Eli.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post
                                Ben just said on nfl live the other day that with his OL he could play another 3 to 5 years.
                                Ok.

Eli said the same thing last year.

So...what does that have to do with anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X