Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who starts at WR for Giants opposite Odell Beckham if Sterling Shepard stays in the slot? | Ranking Pat Shurmur's 9 best options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who starts at WR for Giants opposite Odell Beckham if Sterling Shepard stays in the slot? | Ranking Pat Shurmur's 9 best options

https://www.nj.com/expo/erry-2018/05...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "If the 2018 NFL Draft is any indication, the Giants are aiming to build a high-powered offense around quarterback Eli Manning, wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., tight end Evan Engram, rookie running back Saquon Barkley, and slot receiver Sterling Shepard.

However, assuming that first-year head coach Pat Shurmur intends to leave Shepard in the slot where he caught 124 passes for 1,414 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 11.4 yards per reception over his first two seasons, the starting outside receiver job opposite Beckham appears wide open.

Here's a look at the Giants' best options, both on and currently not on the roster, to fill the wide receiver void and round out the offense:

1) Cody Latimer

The Giants signed Cody Latimer as a free agent earlier this offseason, and the former Denver Broncos wide receiver is the most experienced player at the position currently on the roster.

Latimer, 25, has experience playing both on the outside and in the slot under Giants wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert when the pair were both in Denver.

Primarily an ace special teamer, Latimer has caught 35 passes for 445 yards and three touchdowns in 45 career games since being chosen by the Broncos in the second-round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

During the Giants' first offseason minicamp, Latimer primarily ran with the first-team offense on the outside while Beckham worked on the side with trainers continuing his comeback from a broken ankle suffered in Week 4 of last season. " Read more..
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. MB Rule # 1

Hoe is Jeremy Maclin our #2 option ahead of Rodger Lewis . He is not even a Giant. I have seen pushing the ridiculous envelope with reporting. This is so far out there , it is beyond comical. I stopped reading it after that.
    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

I remember liking what I saw from Lewis last year. Of the FA, the kid from Chicago looks interesting.

In my opinion, if we have the $$$ to grab a FA, I'd rather grab another CB. RT would also be nice but, like Lewis, I liked what I saw from Wheeler last year.
      NFL Draft (Realistic Hope):

Rd 1
      Garrett Bolles - OT
      David Njoku - TE
      Zach Cunningham - OLB

Comment

Roger Lewis should have the inside track as the 3rd wide receiver. He's earned the right to be given the opportunity by his fill in performance last season. However, if someone else plays at a higher level and surpasses him on the depth chart, he'll have no one to blame but himself. I'm rooting for the young man. This receiving core can do some serious damage as soon as the O line gels.

The O line over the past 3 season has severely handicapped this offense and the team overall. Just imagine Eli having time to throw with Odell, Sheppard, Evans and Lewis running routes. Throw Barkley into the mix and this could be fun to watch. We haven't seen a functioning offense since a healthy Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, Bradshaw and Jacobs. OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by Piddy283 View Post
          I remember liking what I saw from Lewis last year. Of the FA, the kid from Chicago looks interesting.

In my opinion, if we have the $$$ to grab a FA, I'd rather grab another CB. RT would also be nice but, like Lewis, I liked what I saw from Wheeler last year.
          I agree but don't be surprise to see only one wide out(Odell) and a two TE set with a slot receiver. They need to find a way to Ellison on the field more.

Comment

It should be pretty much Lewis and Lattimer battling for the position. Roger Lewis did well last year, esentially being thrown into the #1 spot. He handled himself well. Rudolph is a dark horse; but he could come into play with a good camp. Dez is the wildcard, I doubt we'll see him but he might be saying all the right things. He wants to be a Giant. Maclin, is good; but he'll miss games with injury. I really think we'd be in a prety good situation with just about any one of those 5.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
              It should be pretty much Lewis and Lattimer battling for the position. Roger Lewis did well last year, esentially being thrown into the #1 spot. He handled himself well. Rudolph is a dark horse; but he could come into play with a good camp. Dez is the wildcard, I doubt we'll see him but he might be saying all the right things. He wants to be a Giant. Maclin, is good; but he'll miss games with injury. I really think we'd be in a prety good situation with just about any one of those 5.
              I think they'll see how things start to shake out during mini-camps and early training camp with the guys on the roster. If they don't like what they see, they'll bring in one of the veterans on the market.

I think Dez would actually be a good fit for the role they'd need him in. He could be what we hoped Marshall was going be for us. And as the #3/4 receiving option he'll be seeing a ton of single coverage and even the defenses' 3rd or 4th CB.
              All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post
                Hoe is Jeremy Maclin our #2 option ahead of Rodger Lewis . He is not even a Giant. I have seen pushing the ridiculous envelope with reporting. This is so far out there , it is beyond comical. I stopped reading it after that.
                Well i guess they were ranking what we already have mixed in with 3/4 FAs like Maclin, kid from bears and Dez. They didn't even mention Decker. Probably better option then the FAs they did mention.

Travis Rudolph may be better option then Lewis with a some experience under his belt.

The kid Grayson UDFA had a nice TD catch vs Florida but rest of the highlights just cook on some short passes and him getting stripped for a fumble and last 3/4 supposed highlights on the vid were overthroove to him lol
                Football has been very, very good to us.
                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                4-New York Giants!!!
                5-NE
                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

There is nobody on the squad worth a plug nickel for the X receiver. Lewis should have been more of a threat last year for us and he just didn't step up. And he had plenty of chances to do so. I have no confidence in him at all. Latimer I don't even know why we signed this guy. unless you want to mess with Engram and see if he could be effective I see a big glaring weak spot.

On the bright side whoever it is he's the 5th option in the passing game.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

Well i guess they were ranking what we already have mixed in with 3/4 FAs like Maclin, kid from bears and Dez. They didn't even mention Decker. Probably better option then the FAs they did mention.

Travis Rudolph may be better option then Lewis with a some experience under his belt.

The kid Grayson UDFA had a nice TD catch vs Florida but rest of the highlights just cook on some short passes and him getting stripped for a fumble and last 3/4 supposed highlights on the vid were overthroove to him lol
                    "Travis Rudolph may be better option then Lewis with a some experience under his belt. "

How so? Rudolph didn't impress at all. Wouldn't Lewis be the better option since he has more playing experience and played well last season?

Comment

Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post

"Travis Rudolph may be better option then Lewis with a some experience under his belt. "

How so? Rudolph didn't impress at all. Wouldn't Lewis be the better option since he has more playing experience and played well last season?
                      Rudolph only played in 6 games and was thrust into starting lineup when all the starters went down. Couple that with an O Line giving him mere milliseconds to get open and that's a hard task for a young UDFA. He's got upside If u follow his story. I think he'd probably be best suited as a backup to Shep in the slot. So your right after i yjoutho about it Lewis is the other starter till someone takes it from him in camp
                      Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

I don't understand why they wouldn't split Engram out wide and roll with Ellison at TE to help out whoever plays RT.

Comment

I think Engram will have a bigger role this year. I think 80 catches is well within reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Roswell View Post
                            I don't understand why they wouldn't split Engram out wide and roll with Ellison at TE to help out whoever plays RT.
                            Man you beat me to it. Engram would be good out wide, has the speed, height, weight and can run excellent routs. He can high point the ball as well. Seeing him split wide and a 2 tight end set, Ellison and the kid out of South Carolina would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post

Man you beat me to it. Engram would be good out wide, has the speed, height, weight and can run excellent routs. He can high point the ball as well. Seeing him split wide and a 2 tight end set, Ellison and the kid out of South Carolina would be nice.
                              They will some I am sure. It's just a different position. It's not as simple as you think. Different routes, releases, ETC. Plus it leaves a hole at TE and also tip off passing plays.

Comment

Working...
                              X