No announcement yet.

How can anyone not be excited about barkley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I said from the beginning that we would take Barkley at 2 unless he was gone. If he was gone I said it would be Chubb.

As I also said, I have watched every game Barkley has played in and he is awesome. In the Indiana, Rutgers and later the Ohio state game where he didn't do well there was a reason. First, they put 8 men in the box and the coach from Penn State kept running him into the heart of the defense instead of going outside. Second, PS does not have a great OL. In fact they are average at best. But also remember, PS beat Rutgers 35 to 6 and beat Indiana 45- 14. He may not have been potent in those games, but PS won.

Barkley will make the defenses respect the run and that will make the team better as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdip View Post
      Serious yea yea we wanted Chubb or Eli is on a downtrend yadaya yada.

bottom line he is here. Personally I am stoked. This guy can really do it all.

he can't hurt us.
      Because I'm going to wait until I see him actually perform on the field in the NFL before I get excited. It's not like there aren't plenty of top pick flops, and there is quite a lot riding on him being a superstar because if he's not we blew the #2 overall pick. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
        I said leading up to the draft, Nelson is the safe pick and Barkley is the exciting one. I am very excited to see him on the field. If we can get the ball out of Eli's hands into anyone on this offense it will be exciting. The is the most I have ever liked a group of skill position players. ODB, Shep, Engram, Ellison, Barkley and Gallman are all very likeable and very good players.
        I think the gap between Nelson and Hernanez is smaller than the gap between Barkley and any of the other backs. If we wanted to go with a guard and RB with our top two picks, I think we killed it.

My personal preference was to use this opportunity to get a QB, and I have always been very high on Rosen, but that's just my opinion and I am not holding any sort of grudge. There was a big part of me that was pumped when we took Barkley, just because you know the guy is going to be sick. He has it all.

I hope Eli can still make the throws and handle himself well in the pocket. This is the most help he's had in years.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
          Well I said from the beginning that we would take Barkley at 2 unless he was gone. If he was gone I said it would be Chubb.

As I also said, I have watched every game Barkley has played in and he is awesome. In the Indiana, Rutgers and later the Ohio state game where he didn't do well there was a reason. First, they put 8 men in the box and the coach from Penn State kept running him into the heart of the defense instead of going outside. Second, PS does not have a great OL. In fact they are average at best. But also remember, PS beat Rutgers 35 to 6 and beat Indiana 45- 14. He may not have been potent in those games, but PS won.

Barkley will make the defenses respect the run and that will make the team better as a whole.
          Nice.

Comment

he can't hurt us.
            I know I am. We have not had a great RB pick from the draft in a loooooong time.
            1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

It’ll be fun for a year or two .. until defenses are stacking 8 in the box because we don’t have a quarterback ... QB purgatory coming ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

I think the gap between Nelson and Hernanez is smaller than the gap between Barkley and any of the other backs. If we wanted to go with a guard and RB with our top two picks, I think we killed it.

My personal preference was to use this opportunity to get a QB, and I have always been very high on Rosen, but that's just my opinion and I am not holding any sort of grudge. There was a big part of me that was pumped when we took Barkley, just because you know the guy is going to be sick. He has it all.

I hope Eli can still make the throws and handle himself well in the pocket. This is the most help he's had in years.
                Very sensible post.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Brown View Post

One would have to think that the FO was not as high on the QBs. I agree that Rosen was the best of them but the concussion injuries were a concern. I believe Eli will have a good year.
                  Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Tension View Post
                    I wanted Penny so a trade back to get him and with the extra two picks get a CB,RT or pass rusher..

This way the TEAM has a much better chance making the playoffs...
                    This would have worked also. If Cleve. took Barkley that's what I would have been screaming for. But Barkley and Hernandez with our first 2 picks is a bonanza. if these 2 3rd rounders are as good as advertised we hit a plethora of talented players for the future as well as now. Even if things could have worked as well going the other way lets not look a gift horse in the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Dattdoode View Post

Im taking a wait and see approach. For me its not about watching your favorite player in the pro bowl, its about watching your favorite team in the playoffs and SB. Recent precedent shows top QB's are more likely to lead teams on deep playoff runs as opposed to top RB's. Not to mention the value of the position, longevity, etc. Barkley was the best player in the draft, I've come to grips w the decision to draft him and why they did it. I just hope we are not in QB hell once Eli retires. Only time will tell if we are better off long term, year 3 thru 10 or so w/ Barkley vs. one of the QB's
                      This is what I've been saying. This game is won in the trenches and the Giants have featured a laughingstock of an O line for the past 3 seasons. Once this line starts playing at an NFL level with the new additions, the offense overall would improve even if DG didn't draft Barkley. Eli has been running for his life 4 out of the past 5 season and we're lucky he never went down with a serious injury.

If the teams offense takes off this year, it will be because of the improved O line, not Barkley, with Eli, Barkley, Odell, Sheppard, Ingram, etc all being beneficiaries. The Giants have won 4 Super Bowls without a star running back. Good running backs, but not star running backs. Why? The O lines and defenses were solid. If Odell couldn't single handedly improve the offense, I'm not sure how any running back could.

The problem has been the O line, which already looks better on paper. Overall, I'm please with the draft and glad to have Barkley, but if he were drafted last season behind the crap line we had, I doubt he'd look like a # 1 draft pick. He won't be our saviour, but he will help. I'm actually more excited about Will Hernandez, than I am Barkley. He's mean and nasty in a good way and that's exactly what this line needs.

Comment

How can anyone not be excited about barkley

Maybe they're a dipsheep

Comment

Originally posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
                          It’ll be fun for a year or two .. until defenses are stacking 8 in the box because we don’t have a quarterback ... QB purgatory coming ...

Nobody stacks 8 in the box with Odell playing WR.

Comment

he can't hurt us.
                            Cause their idiots

Comment

I watched plenty of Rams games this year and how Gurley was utilized. He was lined up practically everywhere creating a ton of mismatches. And he was doing his thing with not much talent around him. Sammy Watkins was a non factor for the most part. Barkley has Engram and ODB. That's an insane amount of talent the defense will have to contain. You got SS out there running routes and sprinkle in some Ellison for a few 3rd down conversions, Schurmur has to make things work.

The clear x factor is the o line. But there is a lot less pressure on them knowing we finally have a huge weapon at RB. Teams will sit back and rush 3-4 guys until Barkley beats them. And he definitely WILL.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

This would have worked also. If Cleve. took Barkley that's what I would have been screaming for. But Barkley and Hernandez with our first 2 picks is a bonanza. if these 2 3rd rounders are as good as advertised we hit a plethora of talented players for the future as well as now. Even if things could have worked as well going the other way lets not look a gift horse in the face.
                                This team needed to fill to many holes and they would've gotten Hernandez plus three other high drafted players...

Can't go back and I hope Barkley is the next Jim Brown!!

Comment

Working...
                                X