This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ***Burress Agrees to 2 Years***

I find it very hard to believe that the DA refused to offer anything less than 2 years before Plax was indicted.

Comment

[quote user="dezzzR"]

[quote user="DavenIII"]It's a damn shame they couldn't treat him fairly and decided to make an example out of him because of his fame.
      [/quote]

i highly agree. **** bloomburg.

Every american has a right to defend themselves regardless if its registered

if he shot someone trying to break into his home with the same gunhe still would of been charged. this country is *** backwards.

hes still an idiot for rocking a glock in his sweatpants and hes an idiot for not getting it registered, but still 2 years?!?

[/quote]

Yes everyone has the right to defend themselves... It doesn't take much effort to obtain a permit. Thats 100% Plax's fault, nobody elses. (Edit: just caught the end of your post...) Also if someone broke into his home and he shot them with "that" gun, yes, he'd still be screwed. Thats why you keep a shotgun at home, not a handgun.

It's not entirely Bloomburg that got him 2 years. It's very much his own doing. If he went in with an attitude of "yes, I know it was wrong but this is why I carried it and I'm truly sorry, I've shot myself, endangered everyone around me and irreparably damaged my career " I'm sure they would have seen fit to grant some leniency.

But nope...Plax wanted to play the high profile star with the high priced lawyer route of "I'm gettin off, I'm rich and you're all just out to get me" bs attitude so they made an example out of him. So be it. It's common sense, apparently he has none.

Enjoy your stay dummy.

Comment

[quote user="Morehead State"]

How many of "that charge" as described in the article represented a guy carying an unregistered hand gun into a crowded room and DISCHARGED it?

Your little stats may be quite different.

[/quote]

that's not what he was CHARGED with Morehead, the law doesn't work that way, it's not about the "situation" it's about the "Charge" he wasn't charged with the illegal discharge of a gun, he was charged with the exact same crime those statistics are from.

Comment

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Jint Fan 73"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="DavenIII"]It's a damn shame they couldn't treat him fairly and decided to make an example out of him because of his fame.
          [/quote]

???

he plea bargin 2 instead of 3 1/2......don't get what you mean

[/quote]

The VAST majority of average joes who get charged with this get ZERO jail time, over 90% I think the statistic showed.
          [/quote]

wrong

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c..._laws_in_.html

About 22% of Manhattan defendants get convicted on that charge,
          according to a News analysis of state Division of Criminal Justice data
          from 2003 to 2007
          [/quote]

Dude, that's it that proves MY point Jints.

bout 22% of Manhattan defendants get convicted on that charge,
          according to a News analysis of state Division of Criminal Justice data
          from 2003 to 2007. The conviction rate hovered around 10% in three
          other boroughs: 9% in Staten Island, 10% in the Bronx and 12% in Queens. Brooklyn had the lowest conviction rate at 7%.

(Edit: I may have been wrong about ZERO jail time, but Plax clearly didn't get a fair shake)
          [/quote]

did it ever occur to you that some of those people were innocent - that's why they didn't get convicted?

Plax clearly wasn't innocent

so 20% got convicterd - they got jail

of the rest some were innocent and some pled down

Those that pled down - most still got jail time

I fail so see how someone who is clearly guilty of the crime got treated unfairly

Comment

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Morehead State"]

How many of "that charge" as described in the article represented a guy carying an unregistered hand gun into a crowded room and DISCHARGED it?

Your little stats may be quite different.

[/quote]

that's not what he was CHARGED with Morehead, the law doesn't work that way, it's not about the "situation" it's about the "Charge" he wasn't charged with the illegal discharge of a gun, he was charged with the exact same crime those statistics are from.
            [/quote]

If not, He should have been.

His celebrity probably saved him from that!

Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

[/quote]DavenIII you forgot the red font--LOL!!

Comment

[quote user="Judico"]Waiting for a link but ESPN just stated that Burress had agreed to plead guilty to weapons charge and receive a 2 year prison term.[/quote] 2 years just for shooting his own leg? WTF?!! Stallworth got 24 days for "accidentally" killing someone. Vick got 18 mon for torturing dogs. And plax gets 2 yrs for almost castrating himself....something is wrong with the justice system folks

Comment

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Jint Fan 73"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="GameTime"]

[/quote]

???

he plea bargin 2 instead of 3 1/2......don't get what you mean

[/quote]

The VAST majority of average joes who get charged with this get ZERO jail time, over 90% I think the statistic showed.
                  [/quote]

wrong

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c..._laws_in_.html

About 22% of Manhattan defendants get convicted on that charge, according to a News analysis of state Division of Criminal Justice data from 2003 to 2007

[/quote]

Dude, that's it that proves MY point Jints.

bout 22% of Manhattan defendants get convicted on that charge, according to a News analysis of state Division of Criminal Justice data from 2003 to 2007. The conviction rate hovered around 10% in three other boroughs: 9% in Staten Island, 10% in the Bronx and 12% in Queens. Brooklyn had the lowest conviction rate at 7%.

(Edit: I may have been wrong about ZERO jail time, but Plax clearly didn't get a fair shake)
                  [/quote]

These stats are also misleading because most people commit this crime in connection with another more serious crime (robbery, assual, murder, etc.) In those cases, the defendant pleads guilty to the more serious charge and the less serious charge (the gun charge) is reduced or dismissed, since the sentences would run concurrently anyway.

Comment

[quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="dezzzR"]

[/quote]

if he shot someone trying to break into his home with the same gunhe still would of been charged. this country is *** backwards.

hes still an idiot for rocking a glock in his sweatpants and hes an idiot for not getting it registered, but still 2 years?!?

[/quote]

So with that train of thought, you can say every american has the right to sell drugs to make money for his family and provide a better life for them. Who cares if its illeagal, its for the better of his/her family. It's putting food on the table and buying them lavish materials.

[/quote] no *******. thats not what i said at all. i said its stupid that if someone breaks into your home and the closest weapon to you is an unregistered weapon and you use it on the intruder and kill him theres a good chance your going to jail. if every family in america had a registered weapon burglaries and robberies would drop dramatically.

just look at last weeks newspaper with that old man with the convience store in harlem. 4 guys try robbing the place, one starts pistol wipping an employee and the 74 year old owner grabs his shotgun and gets all of em killing 2. it will be a loooong time before any "gangsta" tries that **** again to that store. guaranteed

Comment

If not, He should have been.

His celebrity probably saved him from that!

[/quote]

No, in this case, it's clear, Plax's fame hurt him in this case, he was not treated the same way you or I would have been, we would have gotten less time....but them's the breaks I guess, If your famous I suppose you need to be better then those who aren't or face stricter consequences.

Comment

And another thing Daven. In how many of those cited cases were the facts NOT IN DISPUTE, as indicated by Plaxico's own lawyer.

Plaxico was guilty of the actions he was accused of, admitted by his own lawyer. They just argued some mitigating factors ( like it was registered in FL) which they knew were BS since they pleaded it out.

Comment

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

These stats are also misleading because most people commit this crime in connection with another more serious crime (robbery, assual, murder, etc.) In those cases, the defendant pleads guilty to the more serious charge and the less serious charge (the gun charge) is reduced or dismissed, since the sentences would run concurrently anyway. [/quote]

It says in the article Jint posted that....

In all five boroughs, most have the charges knocked down to less serious crimes or see them dismissed.

So I think your wrong.

Comment

And another thing Daven. In how many of those cited cases were the facts NOT IN DISPUTE, as indicated by Plaxico's own lawyer.

Plaxico was guilty of the actions he was accused of, admitted by his own lawyer. They just argued some mitigating factors ( like it was registered in FL) which they knew were BS since they pleaded it out.

[/quote]

Neither of us know the answer to that question, but the statistics have been shown now, so I rest my case, the vast majority of average joes did get off easier then Plax did in this case, Plax wasn't treated fairly, when the MAYOR comes out and puts pressure on the DA to prosecute to the fullest extent of the law you can't say he got a fair trail.

Comment

[quote user="BastianEagles"][quote user="Judico"]Waiting for a link but ESPN just stated that Burress had agreed to plead guilty to weapons charge and receive a 2 year prison term.[/quote] 2 years just for shooting his own leg? WTF?!! Stallworth got 24 days for "accidentally" killing someone. Vick got 18 mon for torturing dogs. And plax gets 2 yrs for almost castrating himself....something is wrong with the justice system folks[/quote]

It had nothing to do with shooting himself in the leg. It was carrying an uregistered weapon, without a permit to carry into a crowded nightclub and wrecklessly discharging it. Risking the lives of every one in that bar.

Comment

[quote user="Sundown"][quote user="dezzzR"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree w/that commment. After being on these boards one should know theres some stupid mofos that shouldnt be allowed to own a gun. At the very least a person can do is get trained and show compentancy w/a fire arm, something Plax lacked serverly.

[/quote]and i disagree with your disagreeing.lolevery american has the right to own a weapon. registered of course. but the punishment for an unregistered is a bit to much.

Comment

Working...
                                X