Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Barkley have a better career than Tiki Barber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't really think it's coincidence anymore. Top RBs don't win Super Bowls. AP, McCoy, Bell, Jamaal charles, Zeke, Ladainian. I mean, just name a great RB over the last ten years and they won't have a ring. Marshawn is the only exception I can think of.

Maybe I'm wrong and it is coincidence. Maybe it has to do with how a team takes shape when you have a great RB. I think its the latter.

One extra note - there's a difference between having a great running game and a great runningback.
    Last edited by Imgrate; 05-29-2018, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post
      He was just a guy
      LaDanian Tomlinson played 11yrs & retired in 2011 after rushing for 13,684yds & 145 TDs plus another 17 rec TDs for a total of 162TDs. He rushed for over 1100+yds his 1st 8yrs in the NFL so plz stop with the "it's possible' crap. If SB can come close to those numbers that Tomlinson put up, he will be a 1st ballot HOFer & will help the Giants win a few SBs in the process.

Tiki last 3 yrs in the NFL were his best stat wise. He played 10yrs & retired while still in his prime. Frank Gore at age 33 rushed for over 1000yds 2 yrs ago in his 12th yr in the NFL, plz just stop with the BS excuses you keep making about RBs not being effective after 8yrs or so. Gore also rushed for over 900yds in 2015 & another 900+ last yr at age 34. Just stop!
      But the last several years were very ordinary. That is the point. He was just a guy his last 4 seasons. He had 7 season as the real Ladanian Tomlinson.

You can play 10 years, but in today's league you can't be a force as RB for 10 years. Tomlinson is a perfect example.

He rushed for less than 4 yards per carry his last 4 years. THAT is the definition of "just a guy".
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

But the last several years were very ordinary. That is the point. He was just a guy his last 4 seasons. He had 7 season as the real Ladanian Tomlinson.

You can play 10 years, but in today's league you can't be a force as RB for 10 years. Tomlinson is a perfect example.

He rushed for less than 4 yards per carry his last 4 years. THAT is the definition of "just a guy".
        Tiki ran for over 4.7 ypc his last 3 yrs at age 29-30-31 & put up 2000+ combined scrimmage yds all 3 yrs, keep reaching though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

Tiki ran for over 4.7 ypc his last 3 yrs at age 29-30-31 & put up 2000+ combined scrimmage yds all 3 yrs, keep reaching though.
          You are right. Tiki was amazing. Very under appreciated by Giants fans.

You have me on that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
            I don't really think it's coincidence anymore. Top RBs don't win Super Bowls. AP, McCoy, Bell, Jamaal charles, Zeke, Ladainian. I mean, just name a great RB over the last ten years and they won't have a ring. Marshawn is the only exception I can think of.

Maybe I'm wrong and it is coincidence. Maybe it has to do with how a team takes shape when you have a great RB. I think its the latter.

One extra note - there's a difference between having a great running game and a great runningback.
            Uhh ray rice 2013 SB..
            Marshawn lynch 2014 SB..

Most team don't have a great RB or elite rb.. so its not that common for a team with a great rb to win the SB
            Last edited by rcrane; 05-30-2018, 03:14 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rcrane View Post

Uhh ray rice 2013 SB..
              Marshawn lynch 2014 SB..

Most team don't have a great RB or elite rb.. so its not that common for a team with a great rb to win the SB
              Definitely valid points. WR looks to be similar. No ring for moss TO Calvin Julio odb aj green fitzgerald. Brown has one.

Comment

• So it's a bad thing to get a great rb?

Comment

• Originally posted by Glaw View Post
                  So it's a bad thing to get a great rb?
                  Of course not. The jury is very much out on whether or not it's a good thing to use the #2 pick in the draft on a RB.

Comment

You are right. Tiki was amazing. Very under appreciated by Giants fans.

You have me on that one.
                    I dont think any fan under appreciates his football contributions at all. How can you?

Its the other stuff, right or wrong, that they (me) hold issues with him on.
                    "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Of course not. The jury is very much out on whether or not it's a good thing to use the #2 pick in the draft on a RB.
                      Well the jury's not out on how bad our running game has been for 6 or 7 years. Enter Barkley and it's about time.

Comment

• It's difficult to get full value from any #2 overall pick.
                        Drafting is not an exact science. We should FORGET, to some degree, where he was drafted, and worrying about "getting value". He's a Giant now. It no longer matters where he was picked. Whatever he's able to do to help us win should be appreciated.
                        Picking #2 overall doesn't mean that you MUST get a great player, it only means you've a better chance of getting a good player. The list of top 10 pick disappointments is a long one. It's a common occurrence and no reason to freak out.
                        Also, like many have pointed out, the influence a player has reaches beyond his personal stats.

Yes, he's going to cost $, which is precious for building the entire roster. I get that. He needs to be big time to earn his keep. If he can be generally good, and CLUTCH in critical moments, we should be satisfied. Team wins is the only statistic that really matters.

Burdening him with our sky high expectations will only decrease what we actually get from him. He's ours now. Let's try to appreciate what he does do, not constantly gripe if he's not the GOAT.

One related fact: of the 222 members of the NFL HOF: 72 were top 10 overall picks, 150 were not.
                        Make of this what you will.
                        Last edited by boxcar willie; 05-30-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

So it's a bad thing to get a great rb?
                          To some Giants fans, yeah. They been saying since 2013, that there are great RBs to be had in the latter rds, 5yrs of an atrocious & flat out putrid run game later, they still swear, one's available. Fortunately, Gettleman wasn't gonna wait another 5yrs to try & find a diamond in the rough.

Comment

Well the jury's not out on how bad our running game has been for 6 or 7 years. Enter Barkley and it's about time.
                            You think the answer is a new RB? It's about blocking up front.

Comment

I remember a rb who came in second in rushing behind Dickerson and that turned into our first SB victory.

Comment

Depends on the quality of the back. Barry Sanders played behind some poor lines and still was amazing. So if we are fortunate enough to have the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders then perhaps not.
                                sigpic Verbally I'm untouchable like Eliot Ness.

Comment

Working...
                                X