Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Barkley have a better career than Tiki Barber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went through the first 6 or so. First...they are from a different era. Second.. I see guys almost exclusively with 10 year or far less in effectiveness.

Show me a guy whos played in THIS era. ..maybe who's retired in the last 8 to 10 years who's had close to 15 years of effectiveness. But even with YOUR list. I see NONE who were effective as long as any of the QB's I mentioned. And you went back 20+ years. THAT is my point.

Drew Brees is almost 40 and still throwing for 5000 yards. Aaron Rodgers past 10 years, Brady 18 years, Big Ben 14 years, Eli 14 years Rivers 14 years.
    Except for Eli...ALL producing at a very high level.

Rushing for 700 yards by Tomlinson ISN'T playing at a high level. I will give you Shady but do you think he'll be the same back 15 years into his career? Even HE has no shot to be effective for NEAR as long as any of these QB's.

Brees is. Brady is. Ben is. Rivers is. Peyton was.

THAT is my point. RB's fade, and usually fast. Have you seen what Marshawn is doing lately? How about Demarco Murray? he can't even get a gig.
    Last edited by Morehead State; 06-09-2018, 04:08 PM.
    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Great point on the "QBs don't get hit' part. Not only don't they get hit anywhere as much as a RB, but they can't even be hit 'too hard' or its a flag. It's like they want defensive players to just "gently" bring the QB to the ground. Gone are the days of body slamming or pile driving him to the ground. OMG, that may hurt him! Guess what, he's wearing the same protective equipment that everybody else on the field is wearing! Football is akin to war in that the QB is the field General of the team & just like in war , one of the objective's in war is to take out the command/leadership in the frontlines. Cut off the head & the snake will die. If a blind side blitzer blasts Eli & ends up injuring him enough to KO him for the game , a few games, the season, so be it. I'm not gonna be whining & crying about why did he have to hit him so violently. In case some of you don't realize this, football is not a contact sport, it is a COLLISION sport!

RBs do have more collisions on a game to game basis than QBs, that is why they tend to play less yrs than QBs. They don't have all the great rules & protections that todays QBs enjoy. But even bad, to mediocre QBs last 10+ yrs in the NFL just cuz every team needs 2nd & 3rd string QBs on the team, not cuz they were such great QBs. A great RB will play anywhere from 10-12 yrs in the NFL & be a HOFer candidate when he hangs em up as I'm sure if they played that long, they will have put up the numbers that rate HOF consideration. I will be more than ecstatic if SB plays 10 very productive yrs for the Giants & helps us bring home another trophy or 2. Better than drafting a QB #1 & see him play 11-12 yrs of 500 football just so someone can say,
      " well at least he played longer than a RB"!

What if SB plays just 6yrs but in that timespan racked up ,8000 -,9000 yds on the ground, another 4500 in rec yds/ 70 total TDs & helped the Giants win 1- 2 more SBs? Is someone gonna cry " see, he only lasted 6yrs, we wasted the #1 pick on him"!
      Last edited by Parademon1; 06-09-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I went through the first 6 or so. First...they are from a different era. Second.. I see guys almost exclusively with 10 year or far less in effectiveness.

Show me a guy whos played in THIS era. ..maybe who's retired in the last 8 to 10 years who's had close to 15 years of effectiveness. But even with YOUR list. I see NONE who were effective as long as any of the QB's I mentioned. And you went back 20+ years. THAT is my point.

Drew Brees is almost 40 and still throwing for 5000 yards. Aaron Rodgers past 10 years, Brady 18 years, Big Ben 14 years, Eli 14 years Rivers 14 years.
        Except for Eli...ALL producing at a very high level.

Rushing for 700 yards by Tomlinson ISN'T playing at a high level. I will give you Shady but do you think he'll be the same back 15 years into his career? Even HE has no shot to be effective for NEAR as long as any of these QB's.

Brees is. Brady is. Ben is. Rivers is. Peyton was.

THAT is my point. RB's fade, and usually fast. Have you seen what Marshawn is doing lately? How about Demarco Murray? he can't even get a gig.
        Everyone on that stat list played in the new millennium. Again What are you using as" this era" 2000 is a good start for me. All went beyond what you tout as facts,. You still are not producing any supporting evidence to your proclamation.
        The list suggests good back do not fade as you state. Just making new parameters to support your narrative is not changing the fact I presented.
        Last edited by TEM; 06-09-2018, 06:31 PM.
        "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

• Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

Great point on the "QBs don't get hit' part. Not only don't they get hit anywhere as much as a RB, but they can't even be hit 'too hard' or its a flag. It's like they want defensive players to just "gently" bring the QB to the ground. Gone are the days of body slamming or pile driving him to the ground. OMG, that may hurt him! Guess what, he's wearing the same protective equipment that everybody else on the field is wearing! Football is akin to war in that the QB is the field General of the team & just like in war , one of the objective's in war is to take out the command/leadership in the frontlines. Cut off the head & the snake will die. If a blind side blitzer blasts Eli & ends up injuring him enough to KO him for the game , a few games, the season, so be it. I'm not gonna be whining & crying about why did he have to hit him so violently. In case some of you don't realize this, football is not a contact sport, it is a COLLISION sport!

RBs do have more collisions on a game to game basis than QBs, that is why they tend to play less yrs than QBs. They don't have all the great rules & protections that todays QBs enjoy. But even bad, to mediocre QBs last 10+ yrs in the NFL just cuz every team needs 2nd & 3rd string QBs on the team, not cuz they were such great QBs. A great RB will play anywhere from 10-12 yrs in the NFL & be a HOFer candidate when he hangs em up as I'm sure if they played that long, they will have put up the numbers that rate HOF consideration. I will be more than ecstatic if SB plays 10 very productive yrs for the Giants & helps us bring home another trophy or 2. Better than drafting a QB #1 & see him play 11-12 yrs of 500 football just so someone can say,
          " well at least he played longer than a RB"!

What if SB plays just 6yrs but in that timespan racked up ,8000 -,9000 yds on the ground, another 4500 in rec yds/ 70 total TDs & helped the Giants win 1- 2 more SBs? Is someone gonna cry " see, he only lasted 6yrs, we wasted the #1 pick on him"!
          Good post but I do not like using what ifs. The facts will in the end unveil the truth, I show enough supporting evidence to prove , Great RBs will and do have longevity in this league. Contrary to the we should have drafted a QB because of . Drafting a RB is What was the FO thinking ...
          "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

• Originally posted by TEM View Post

Everyone on that stat list played in the new millennium. Again What are you using as" this era" 2000 is a good start for me. All went beyond what you tout as facts,. You still are not producing any supporting evidence to your proclamation.
            The list suggests good back do not fade as you state. Just making new parameters to support your narrative is not changing the fact I presented.
            It doesn't matter. Even if we use the names on your list. None of them have had a career of effectiveness as much as the QB's I listed. None of them.

Top 10 QB's usually last well over ten years, actually usually closer to 15 or more. Not just in length of career, but length of effectiveness. Which is the only thing that matters.
            The best RB's on your list generally have less than 10 years of effectiveness. And those are those chosen by you. If you add the other great RB's during these eras you will see many great RB's, per some of my examples, had careers of 5 years or less of effectiveness.

You can't run from this absolute fact.

Comment

It doesn't matter. Even if we use the names on your list. None of them have had a career of effectiveness as much as the QB's I listed. None of them.

Top 10 QB's usually last well over ten years, actually usually closer to 15 or more. Not just in length of career, but length of effectiveness. Which is the only thing that matters.
              The best RB's on your list generally have less than 10 years of effectiveness. And those are those chosen by you. If you add the other great RB's during these eras you will see many great RB's, per some of my examples, had careers of 5 years or less of effectiveness.

You can't run from this absolute fact.
              It just proves you never looked at the list. The only thing you are proving is you are narrowminded and fail to even look at facts. Your "It doesn't matter" line proves that. That line is only in your head and the rest of the we should have drafted a QB consortium. To everyone else that is an NFL fan . Those stat sheets prove Great RB are just a valid in their longevity as great QB are. Sorry for the truth . But it is.
              Most on those stat sheets have 10+ I did not use backs before year 2000. Everyone that looks at the those stats sheets knows you are wrong. Great backs just as great QBs do not have short careers. Name one great back that had a short career? In your so called cheery picked "new era"

PS: You still have not shown any hard evidence to support you conjecture. You can not say the same about My stance.

Although keep touting you opinion a facts . It is entertaining.
              Last edited by TEM; 06-10-2018, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TEM View Post

It just proves you never looked at the list. The only thing you are proving is you are narrowminded and fail to even look at facts. Your "It doesn't matter" line proves that. That line is only in your head and the rest of the we should have drafted a QB consortium. To everyone else that is an NFL fan . Those stat sheets prove Great RB are just a valid in their longevity as great QB are. Sorry for the truth . But it is.
                Most on those stat sheets have 10+ I did not use backs before year 2000. Everyone that looks at the those stats sheets knows you are wrong. Great backs just as great QBs do not have short careers. Name one great back that had a short career? In your so called cheery picked "new era"

PS: You still have not shown any hard evidence to support you conjecture. You can not say the same about My stance.

Although keep touting you opinion a facts . It is entertaining.
                Show me a single RB on that list that has played at a high level as long as Brees, Ben, Peyton, Brady ot Roethlisberger.

I'll wait.

Comment

Show me a single RB on that list that has played at a high level as long as Brees, Ben, Peyton, Brady ot Roethlisberger.

I'll wait.
                  Still angry we didn't get the rape QB so you named him twice?

Comment

• You can't predict anything in today's NFL with the Injuries that have sidelined the best prospects, Tiki was lucky to never have a career ending injury so lets all pray Barkley stays healthy and lights up the league.
                    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

Comment

• Originally posted by Parademon1 View Post

Guess what, he's wearing the same protective equipment that everybody else on the field is wearing!
                      I don't believe this to be true..

QBs wear less protection to allow them to throw...

Comment

• Originally posted by Glaw View Post
                        Still angry we didn't get the rape QB so you named him twice?
                        All he has to do is show me the list of RB's who have 15+ years of effectiveness like so many franchise QB's have.

You can spare me all the other BS. Just do that.

Comment

All he has to do is show me the list of RB's who have 15+ years of effectiveness like so many franchise QB's have.

You can spare me all the other BS. Just do that.
                          You're going to crap on this site until it closes, that's what you're known for. Probably helped in closing this site. It was meant for Giants fans.

Comment

• Your first argument proven to be wrong.

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

And they also know that even the best RB';s today who get a lot of carries have a very limited time of effectiveness. Great QB's can be effective for 10, 15 or more years. Great RB's?....Far far less.
                            THAT is today's NFL.
                            Here is a familiar one that lasted 10 years just on in the stat list.

https://www.pro-footballreference.co...B/BarbTi00.htm

The second point you tried to pass off as a fact that is not.

How many good years? Maybe 5. The days of Emmitt Smith or Walter Payton playing a long time are over.
                            The entire stat list proves you wrong.

Then you point did a complete change of direction.

It doesn't matter. Even if we use the names on your list. None of them have had a career of effectiveness as much as the QB's I listed. None of them..
                            As if you think the 2 positions are comparable. Will you next compare a 20 year punter to be more effective the a 14 year Great QB? It is the exact same premise for a point your are trying nest in a nicely formed package. When the package is unwrapped it is empty.

By your standard "should last 14 years". Punters and Kickers should be drafted in the top 10 picks. ROTF with your logic.

The I have nothing else post

I'll wait.
                            Once again change the original parameter to suit your narrative.
                            Your final death pitch . Compare 5 of the all-time greats to make a point .

Your original point is can't last 10 years proven to be wrong.

Then you got bold with the "maybe 5 years at most" . Proven to be laughable.

Your point went from 5 years to 14 years. It is hilarious.

Still have not produced one shred of evidence to prove your point.
                            Very entertaining watching you try to use misdirection to get yourself out of it.

Last edited by TEM; 06-10-2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Liquid Tension View Post

I don't believe this to be true..

QBs wear less protection to allow them to throw...
                              Helmet-shoulder pads, rib pads, cup-thigh pads-knee pads. Nope, same equip minus the choice not to wear a neck brace or elbow pads if those are even worn anymore.

Comment

• Id much rather have an effective Barkley for 10 years than Inaccurate Allen who will probably flame out in a couple of years for the Bills.

Comment

Working...
                                X