Pat Shurmur will use Barkley like he did Dalvin Cook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Shurmur will use Barkley like he did Dalvin Cook

I was a little bored tonight so I watched some Viking games from last year while Dalvin Cook played. The similarities between Cook and Barkley are very close, both fast and explosive and extremely elusive. I remember watching Cook at FSU and I loved how he hardly took a direct hit, Barkley is the same type of back. That type of elusiveness is what made an undersized back like Warrick Dunn have a long successful career. Everybody loves watching a big physical RB run over defenders but these guys don't age gracefully.

Shurmur used Cook a lot in the passing game. Designed play action to him off tackle, then he slips to the flat for an easy 1 on 1 matchup with the LB (already 1 step ahead). Also a lot of singleback set with QB under center. Im talking deep set singleback, give him time to set up blocks and navigate holes and explode through, Oline just has to stay glued to their man.

Im expecting similar usage for Barkley, around 18-20 carries and 5-7 catches for about 25 touches is what I expect. The only thing I hope Shurmur does different is move Barkley around formations. (Odell and Engram as well) Make the defense figure things out on the fly. They have 3 guys now that are absolute matchup nightmares, Shurmur can get as creative as he wants now. Let these guys play loose and fast.

Originally posted by MagicManning View Post
    I was a little bored tonight so I watched some Viking games from last year while Dalvin Cook played. The similarities between Cook and Barkley are very close, both fast and explosive and extremely elusive. I remember watching Cook at FSU and I loved how he hardly took a direct hit, Barkley is the same type of back. That type of elusiveness is what made an undersized back like Warrick Dunn have a long successful career. Everybody loves watching a big physical RB run over defenders but these guys don't age gracefully.

Shurmur used Cook a lot in the passing game. Designed play action to him off tackle, then he slips to the flat for an easy 1 on 1 matchup with the LB (already 1 step ahead). Also a lot of singleback set with QB under center. Im talking deep set singleback, give him time to set up blocks and navigate holes and explode through, Oline just has to stay glued to their man.

Im expecting similar usage for Barkley, around 18-20 carries and 5-7 catches for about 25 touches is what I expect. The only thing I hope Shurmur does different is move Barkley around formations. (Odell and Engram as well) Make the defense figure things out on the fly. They have 3 guys now that are absolute matchup nightmares, Shurmur can get as creative as he wants now. Let these guys play loose and fast.
    All we need Barkley to do is help us win at least one Super Bowl And that would make it worth drafting him then it doesn't matter if he lasts 6 or 8 years just as long as he plays hard on every play and gives it his all and gives us a chance to win. What would you guys rather have a franchise QB that lasts 15 years but never wins a championship, or a Top Running Back who lasts about 8 years but we win at least 1 ring with him? I will take the latter.

Comment

Its all a crap shoot, lets just hope the elite have did there homework to fullest extent. Nobody knows how things will pan out. At this point Im somewhat comfortable with the current moves. A few injuries can reset the entire roster in GODSPEED.. My fingers are crossed like the legs on a virgin at a keg party before her first 33 drinks.

Comment

All we need is Barkley to help us win a super bowl

i mean, I agree with you. I love winning Super Bowls. But, something about that just makes me chuckle.

Comment

I watched some viking games also...LOTS of 2 TE and 3 TE sets...shows a commitment to the run game. That is something we havent seen on the GIants since TC left =(

Comment

Originally posted by MagicManning View Post
            The similarities between Cook and Barkley are very close...
            The big difference is that Cook only cost the Vikings a #41.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

nobody cares bro. Where they were drafted doesnt matter during the season. Just offseason chit chat that some people actually thinks matters in the grand scheme of things. Literally, the only time draft position gets mentioned is when the player busts.

Comment

Originally posted by Moecoastie77 View Post

nobody cares bro. Where they were drafted doesnt matter during the season. Just offseason chit chat that some people actually thinks matters in the grand scheme of things. Literally, the only time draft position gets mentioned is when the player busts.
                Yup.

Comment

Minny was 2-2 with Cook and 11-1 without him in the regular season. And they made the NFC title game. Id look more at how they used McKinnon who replaced Cook he had 51 catches only being a primAry back in 12 games. Eli is not a great screen passer however.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
                    Minny was 2-2 with Cook and 11-1 without him in the regular season. And they made the NFC title game. Id look more at how they used McKinnon who replaced Cook he had 51 catches only being a primAry back in 12 games. Eli is not a great screen passer however.

Man, when will we realize that none of these stats matter.

Did the Vikings have a QB like Eli? A TE like Engram? A WR like OBJ? Is Cook really as good as Barkley?

again, this is not saying that Bark is goIng to be HOF RB, but the situations between the Vikings O and Giants O is so different.

No team, outside of the rams, who drafted a high RB recently has anything close to what we have on offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxpinstripes View Post

41 is a fair price for a very talented back that also has injury concerns and character concerns coming out of college.

Neither of those apply to Barkley. He has a clean injury history and is squeaky clean off the field. His off field stuff actually pushes him higher on your board. Not to mention Barkley is also bigger, stronger and faster than Cook as well. Barkley comes into the NFL with more receiving production than Marshall Faulk and elite level rushing production.

​​​

Comment

Eli's lack of mobility will hinder Barkley's effectiveness to a degree.
                        Looking at Barkley's highlights clearly shows many of the passes he caught were from the QB rolling out or on the move.
                        This issue will limit how he can be used.
                        "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBeard View Post

Man, when will we realize that none of these stats matter.

Did the Vikings have a QB like Eli? A TE like Engram? A WR like OBJ? Is Cook really as good as Barkley?

again, this is not saying that Bark is goIng to be HOF RB, but the situations between the Vikings O and Giants O is so different.

No team, outside of the rams, who drafted a high RB recently has anything close to what we have on offense.

LOL, Keenum played very well last year, Rudolph is a pro bowl TE and Theland and Diggs area damn good combo, not to mention there special teams and defense are top 5 in the game right now. That helps the field position. The Giants aren't in the Vikings weight class
                          Needs for 2016

DL, Secondary, RB, OL, TE, WR, LB

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Yen View Post

All we need Barkley to do is help us win at least one Super Bowl And that would make it worth drafting him then it doesn't matter if he lasts 6 or 8 years just as long as he plays hard on every play and gives it his all and gives us a chance to win. What would you guys rather have a franchise QB that lasts 15 years but never wins a championship, or a Top Running Back who lasts about 8 years but we win at least 1 ring with him? I will take the latter.
                            in the end it's not Barkely or Manning or OBJ if the guys around them do not perform OL\ 3rd down defense and so on,all the talent at the skill positions means squat,that what we all should have learned in the last 5-6 years if you didn't already know it,these guys together can do great things but the rest of the team needs to be on par.

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                              Eli's lack of mobility will hinder Barkley's effectiveness to a degree.
                              Looking at Barkley's highlights clearly shows many of the passes he caught were from the QB rolling out or on the move.
                              This issue will limit how he can be used.
                              he might be able to manage with a a healthy respect for the play action and figuring one less linebacker or safety rushing the passer,with some good play design he just might be able pull off some roll outs,now if he is gonna do this and have a guy in his face it won't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X