Hot take: Odell needs to be taking way more punt/kickoff returns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot take: Odell needs to be taking way more punt/kickoff returns

Everyone says that its too dangerous.. but for Odell is it any more dangerous than any random catch he makes where someone guns for his ankles when his head is 9 feet in the air? If i recall, when odell gets kick return duties, he's a threat to take it to the house everytime. He can see the entire field and hardly gets touched compared to any receiving play on offense. Opinions? Are some longer punt yardage situations better than others? I recall one of the few games they used him in return duties, him taking 2 to the house untouched only to be overturned by holds.
    Last edited by rcrane; 05-10-2018, 08:44 AM.
    sigpic

Long Live the King

Comment

Do returners really get hurt that often?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rcrane View Post
        It may have more to do with economics. Whatever he gets paid, you are putting it at risk with every play. Do you really want to increase his playing time? I'm actually on the fence but my preference would be it be someone else.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

It may have more to do with economics. Whatever he gets paid, you are putting it at risk with every play. Do you really want to increase his playing time? I'm actually on the fence but my preference would be it be someone else.
          Wouldn't Latimer be filling this role, based on his success on STs while on the Broncos?

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
            +1,+1!!!!!!

H.E.L.L. NO!

Comment

But if you at putting it at risk every play... How is it any different to him playing every snap on offense?

Let's say you have 40 offensive plays per game.. Is giving him an extra 2-3 snaps really going to do anything? It is a fair catch most of the time anyway...

But I guess to answer your question .. Yes of course! Why wouldn't you want to increase his playing time? He already is in every snap on offense so the only way to do this is punt returns.

​​​​I guess we could just sit him all game and gaurnetee he doesn't get hurt but where is the fun in that!?

Comment

Definitely not ! Remember Jason Sehorn. And Odel is coming off injury this season, it's not worth it. perhaps a punt return in a playoff game but only 1-2 per season. Oh and Barkleys days of kickoff returns should be over as well. It really isn't worth the risk.

Comment

Beckham should be taking 0 kick & punt returns. The guy is a premier WR, not a gimmick player. Beckham needs to do 1 thing differently and he either will or won't, quit the 1st grader antics. As long as he is not acting like a child in diapers I'm a huge fan. He's the most talented Giant physically since Lawrence Taylor. He needs to grow up. He's a WR and a WR alone. The risk outweighs the reward on STs. If he ran back a punt for a 75 yard TD and then tears his knee or rolls his ankle on the next one what good did it do us?

Comment

What's difference with him returning. I'm sure even if he gets a good return it will be called back due to a hold of block in the back.
                    [SIGPIC]

Comment

You use Latimore or whoever. Not Your every down stars like Odell or now Barkley who can take a kick to the house. I'd say put them both back there in certain situations when the situation calls for it. MsyMa you get a Walkoff win ala DeSean Jackson lol.

Nice to have that type of threat in your back pocket but I would not use them as every kick type guy s but once in awhile when u need a spark sure

This is a new regime that wants to win so you never know how they feel about this
                      Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by rcrane View Post
                        Ask Jason Sehorn this question

Comment

He should be returning punts!!

Sorry but he's their best weapon and needs to get the ball as often as possible..

Just because the Giants had ONE player ruin his career doing it doesn't give them any reason not to get this man the ball!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluejeep8888 View Post

What's difference with him returning. I'm sure even if he gets a good return it will be called back due to a hold of block in the back.
                            +1
                            like the ones that go to the house I'm always looking for the flag which is there 95% of the time
                            definitely NOT worth the risk

Comment

Originally posted by shocknaweny View Post

+1
                              like the ones that go to the house I'm always looking for the flag which is there 95% of the time
                              definitely NOT worth the risk
                              Just get a guy back there that can catch the ball and get a few yards. Let the offense take care of the rest.
                              [SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X