Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of numbers do we expect from Barkley?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of numbers do we expect from Barkley?

Expectations seem to be very high for S. Barkley given all the hype and our taking him at #2. Based on hype and draft position, I'm hoping for Le'Vann Bell type numbers. What is realistic given our team and coach though? Are 85 catches doable given all the other targets? If we assume 350 completions for Eli - is it reasonable to see 80+ go to Barkley? Do we see him running the ball 20 times a game?

I expect him to be my #1 favorite current Giant.

Comment

I think 80 catches is the high end. That is 5 per game. 20 carries a game is 320 carries a season. The NFL averages only 1 RB getting over 300 carries a year each season the last 5 years. I doubt he will get that many carries. I'd say 15-20 a game putting him at around 270 carries, plus 3-5 catches a game around 65 catches for the year.

Those numbers also seem to match up to what Cook was on pace to do last year with the Vikings. If he gets 1,000 yards rushing and 500 receiving I'll be pretty happy this year. More important is if he helps run out the clock, convert 3rd and shorts, gain yards on 1st and 2nd downs, help protect Eli on passing downs, lead, be a good teammate. All those little things that don't actually show up on the stat sheets will mean more to this team in terms of wins and losses.
      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Hype shmype. 1000 yards on the ground and 500 receiving yards is a good baseline. Some here will freak out if he “only” achieves that much, but as the poster above said,

if if it means we can actually close out games with 4 minutes left...

if if it means a lb has to spy him out of the backfield and Engram becomes a nightmare down the seam...

if it means 7 in the box and obj is a nightmare on the outside/slants to the House...

then all will be well in my personal giants land.

Comment

[QUOTE=

if if it means we can actually close out games with 4 minutes left...

if if it means a lb has to spy him out of the backfield and Engram becomes a nightmare down the seam...

if it means 7 in the box and obj is a nightmare on the outside/slants to the House...

then all will be well in my personal giants land.[/QUOTE]
          It's not just about numbers, it's also about honoring the run game to set up the pass game and I think we finally after years are going to make defenses do this.

Comment

15,000 yards rushing and 5,000 yards receiving in his first season, culminating in a SB championship!

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
              15,000 yards rushing and 5,000 yards receiving in his first season, culminating in a SB championship!
              Why only 1 Super Bowl? If he does not bring home 3 Lombardi trophies his rookie year then he's a failure lol.
              LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
              "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

If he stays healthy(and if is a major question with RBs), I expect:

240 carries 4.5 YPC 1,080 yards with 50 catches for 500 yards. TDs 6-10 depending on if he gets the Goal Line carries.

The bottomline is our assets are invested in passing. Eli is the highest paid player. Beckham is our best player. Engram was a Round 1. Shepard was a Round 2. The # 1 think I hope to see if Barkley lined up to Eli's right, Beckham on the right side of the formation. You send Beckham deep or across the field, this will clear space, you have Barkley release throw a chip block to help the RT and release into the area just cleared by Beckham. Getting Barkley in space in the passing game is where he can add value. We need gash plays. If we are just going to run him like any RB he's going to get shook.
                Last edited by BigBlueTradeEli; 05-11-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I expect his numbers, what ever they me be, should be effective, efficient, and productive.

"Empty numbers" mean nothing.

Qualtiy not quantity.

"it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

At least 200 yards rushing a game and 100 receiving yards a game and a few field goals.

Also a QB sack a game when he plays LB too.

A nice pre-game rendition of the Star Spangled Banner would be frosting on the cake but we can't be too picky.

Anything less is failure and a waste of a first round pick.
                    Last edited by WayBackFan; 05-11-2018, 11:50 AM.
                    "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by bringsimmsback View Post
                      Expectations seem to be very high for S. Barkley given all the hype and our taking him at #2. Based on hype and draft position, I'm hoping for Le'Vann Bell type numbers. What is realistic given our team and coach though? Are 85 catches doable given all the other targets? If we assume 350 completions for Eli - is it reasonable to see 80+ go to Barkley? Do we see him running the ball 20 times a game?
                      He's a dangerous weapon. So you want to get him 25/30 touches a game.
                      Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by WayBackFan View Post
                        At least 200 yards rushing a game and 100 receiving yards a game and a few field goals.

Also a QB sack a game when he plays LB too.

A nice pre-game rendition of the Star Spangled Banner would be frosting on the cake but we can't be too picky.

Anything less is failure and a waste of a first round pick.
                        I hear he can play a flaming strat with his teeth, while humping an amp.

Comment

Many of you seem to have anticipated the direction I was going in. Given our coach and the other players we have,in offense, I'm wondering if his numbers are going to end up seeming pedestrian compared to the overly lofty expectations set by the media and those arguing his numbers better justify not taking a QB. Maybe he does put up numbers like that but I expect what Irishmike said: his value will be more in the consistency he,brings and game management he makes possible. On top of that, his potential to break a big play, whether he actually does or not, will haves synergistic impact when combined with Engram and OBJ. I wasn't all in on taking him at 2, but if our line can be at least average, I'm excited to see his impact

Comment

He's been declared the best player in the draft!!!

If that doesn't equate to 2k yards from scrimmage then what does???

Comment

85 receptions is a little crazy for his rookie season....I'm setting the bar at 1200-1400 yards rushing and another 300-400 rec. yards with about 12 TD's total
                              I think 1800 yards from scrimmage would be excellent and probably garner him ROY honor's

Comment

Working...
                              X