Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bold predictions for the Giants 2018 draft class

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...6-e636bfa4563d

"Here are some bold predictions for the Giants 2018 draft class this season:

I wrote one of these last year and I assure you thereís no need to find it on the internet. Every single prediction was right on the money. I promise. Scoutís honor.

I lied. It was a bit of a disaster, but thatís okay. Bold predictions canít all be right. Thatís why theyíre bold. What makes it trickier this year is that three draft picks are linemen and those guys are hard to really have numbers to be bold about, but Iíll do my best. Here goes nothing:

1. Saquon Barkley #1: This is tougher than it looks on the surface. Expectations are so high for the second overall pick in the draft, what kind of prediction would really be bold? Iíll go with this. Saquon Barkley will have 2,000 combined yards rushing, receiving and returning the football. I think heíll finish with somewhere between 1,100-1,200 rushing yards, 600-700 receiving yards and 100-200 kick return yards. Tiki Barber had four seasons with 2,000 all-purpose yards for the Giants, but no one else has.

2. Saquon Barkley #2: In terms of yards from scrimmage, I think he will gain more than any other player ever has in a Giants uniform except for Tiki Barber, who has the four best seasons in team history (2,390 in 2005, 2,127 in 2006, 2,096 in 2004, 1,984 in 2002). Joe Morris has the next best season with 1,749 yards in 1986. Remember, Barkley is not just a running back; he is a weapon. I think youíll see him all over the formation. Barkley will top Joe Morrisí total and slot in right behind Barber.

3. Lorenzo Carter:
    The Giants are going to have to generate more pressure on opposing passers this offseason if the defense is going to improve. Olivier Vernon returns with his 6.5 sacks from last season, but 2017 sack leader Jason Pierre-Paul (8.5 sacks) will be wearing pewter down in Tampa. The Giants should generate some pressure on blitzes, but they will need someone to win one-on-one. I think Carter has the best raw tools to do it besides Vernon. Thatís why I think Carter will have the second-most sacks on the team.

4. Will Hernandez: There are no stats for offensive linemen, so this gets a little tricky. Will Hernandez will start all 16 games as a rookie at left guard. The fact heíll start all 16 games at guard isnít necessarily bold, but we still donít know whether heíll play left or right. We also donít know if they would move him to the other guard position in case of an injury to a teammate on the offensive line. Hernandez played exclusively at left guard in college, while Patrick Omameh has played both. To me, that makes it more likely Omameh goes to the right side. He could also be a calm veteran presence next to what could be an inexperienced right tackle.

5. B.J. Hill and RJ McIntosh: The initials brigade should both be rotational defensive linemen for the season. The most sacks B.J. Hill had in college was 3.5 as a sophomore at N.C. State. McIntoshís single-season high in college was 2.5 in each of his last two years at Miami. Iíll say the duo will combine for 5 sacks this year, with one of the two tying or breaking their college single-season high.

Bonus: Kyle Lauletta: With Lauletta unlikely to play a regular-season game this year, I couldnít make a preseason prediction one of my five bold predictions. I think Lauletta will have a better completion percentage than Davis Webb in the preseason. Watching Lauletta on tape, I saw a quarterback who anticipates and is extremely accurate in the short and medium range. I think he will look for a lot of safe passes as a rookie in his first action, while Webb will be more confident and advanced, showing off his big arm going down the field. Weíll see if thatís how the preseason goes."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

I can't hate these "bold prediction" articles more. I see them all the time and it never makes sense to me. The entire premise of a prediction is based upon accuracy. It's useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantterp View Post
      I can't hate these "bold prediction" articles more. I see them all the time and it never makes sense to me. The entire premise of a prediction is based upon accuracy. It's useless.
      Its may there is zero to talk about for the football writers.
      [SIGPIC]

Comment

I think it'll be a productive rookie class because a lot of PT is available.

1) Barkley - RBs careers are fragile. I don't want to abuse this guy. If he is a "weapon" treat him as such. Let someone else get the short yardage / goal line carries, at least the bulk of them. I hope to see 12-13-14 carries and then him utilized in the passing game. RBs take abuse, get him in space with the pass. I think he will finish with just over 1,000 yards rushing on 4.5 YPC and another 500 yards receiving. I hope to see 0 yards from him in the return game. Hopefully he stays healthy, RB is a next man up position where guys are constantly dinged, that is not a black cloud hanging over the Giants if it happens, it is simply reality for RBs.

2) Will Hernandez - Loved the pick, interested to see how successful he is early on. He's built like a truck, but he's on the shorter end and did not face a lot of top competition. Patience with Eli taking forever at the line of scrimmage is also an adjustment as you need to not only avoid false starts, but be ready for to go when he does eventually call for the ball. He is probably the key to the Oline's success in 2018 as if he is good we have a strong leftside and can utilize that in game planning and give the rightside help.

3) Lorenzo Carter - He needs to add weight. He's probably a situational pass rusher as it stands heading into camp. Guy is a super athlete, but he's light. The speed rush and beat the OT to the outside will be essential for him, hopefully he can add a bit of weight and work on a move to get the Ts hands off him, because NFL Ts will rag doll him if they make good contact.

Rest of the draft class will be situational depth. Lauletta's time to shine is between now and Preseason Game 4, management and the coaches will know for sure who they favor between Lauletta and Webb over that time. Whoever that guy is will be the one to benefit if this season spirals out of control and we look at one of them and put Eli to the bench.

I think this season has a 10% chance of going relatively well and I think that goes with how we handle our first 2 games. Jags and Dallas are both heavy run teams. And I think we can be strong v the run. The offense can be good. If Eli with time can still be a formidable QB he has the weaponry, so we'll see. Starting 2-0 changes the vibe of a team. This schedule is built to bury us. We saw what a slow start did last year, all hell broke loose. You don't want to plan to fail, but this regime should be going over every scenario and how to handle things so it is not dunced up like it was last year. If we're good, play Eli. If we're bad, don't. It really is that simple. There is no reason to have an old QB leading a bad team, that's a road to nowhere.

Comment

Working...
        X