Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JPP....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JPP....

    Just read an assessment of Gettleman's off-season on Bleacher Report and they gave him poor grades for trading JPP and not replacing him. I feel most of these writers maybe see the Giants play once or twice a year cause JPP in my opinion is done. Thought getting rid of him and his salary was brilliant.

  • #2
    For me there are 2 aspects. The long-term aspect and the "win-now" aspect.

    Moving JPP was wise from a long-term build standpoint. He was severely overpaid. No arguing that whatsoever.

    On the flip side, the Giants are playing a 37 year Old QB. They had a 4-3 D that finished # 2 overall in 2016 and had only lost Jonathan Hankins from the roster at the time Gettleman took over. Rather than try fine tuning the 4-3 with new coaching and personnel tweaking, we abandoned the 4-3 for a 3-4 and did not replace the pass rush aspect. As I have mentioned before, the front 7 we will start in Week 1 had a total of 15 sacks last year. JPP had 8. Hard to argue we are better for 2018 upfront and we've certainly taken a win now attitude to the offseason which makes the switch to a 3-4 a bit puzzling.

    Comment


    • #3
      Bleacher report is the TMZ of sports
      Long Live the King

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
        For me there are 2 aspects. The long-term aspect and the "win-now" aspect.

        Moving JPP was wise from a long-term build standpoint. He was severely overpaid. No arguing that whatsoever.

        On the flip side, the Giants are playing a 37 year Old QB. They had a 4-3 D that finished # 2 overall in 2016 and had only lost Jonathan Hankins from the roster at the time Gettleman took over. Rather than try fine tuning the 4-3 with new coaching and personnel tweaking, we abandoned the 4-3 for a 3-4 and did not replace the pass rush aspect. As I have mentioned before, the front 7 we will start in Week 1 had a total of 15 sacks last year. JPP had 8. Hard to argue we are better for 2018 upfront and we've certainly taken a win now attitude to the offseason which makes the switch to a 3-4 a bit puzzling.


        BJ Hill is starting at 3-4 DE next to Snacks and Tomlinson.

        Hill = Kawann Short. Explosive inside pass-rusher who plays with leverage.

        "#98....Gangster in Red Helmet"

        http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...-bowl-practice


        B.J. Hill (drafted with the JPP pick) > JPP in 2018.


        Gettleman is a genius. He got rid of JPP's contract AND improved the pass-rush using the pick he got for JPP.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Barneygum View Post
          Just read an assessment of Gettleman's off-season on Bleacher Report and they gave him poor grades for trading JPP and not replacing him. I feel most of these writers maybe see the Giants play once or twice a year cause JPP in my opinion is done. Thought getting rid of him and his salary was brilliant.
          I agree, waste of space on the field!
          Players come and go on the Free Agency Merry-Go-Round, but the N.Y. Giants will always be here!

          Comment


          • #6
            If the giants were running a 4-3 still, I would be more upset. Also, looking at the cap next year Vernon is a top candidate to be cut. So de is definitely a position of need. You can't fill every hole on an off season.
            [SIGPIC]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post



              BJ Hill is starting at 3-4 DE next to Snacks and Tomlinson.

              Hill = Kawann Short. Explosive inside pass-rusher who plays with leverage.

              "#98....Gangster in Red Helmet"

              http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-y...-bowl-practice


              B.J. Hill (drafted with the JPP pick) > JPP in 2018.


              Gettleman is a genius. He got rid of JPP's contract AND improved the pass-rush using the pick he got for JPP.
              On what basis is the pass rush improved? The guys who will make up our Front 7 had 15 sacks total. 2 of the guys in the mix are rookies taken in Rounds 3 and 4. Could they play well? Sure. On paper our pass rush is worse. It's not a argument. In 2017 JPP & Vernon had 15 sacks combined. In 2017 the entire front 7 opening 2018 as our starters had 15 sacks combined. JPP had the same amount of sacks as the starting front 7 not named Vernon. From a "win now" standpoint that does not make a lot of sense.

              Comment


              • #8
                Releasing JPP was about money. He was due $17 million per season over the next 3 years. With Odell and Collins due for new contracts, the move made a lot of sense. I was shocked they found a sucker. Thanks Tampa.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was very happy with the 3rd rounder he got in the trade form Tampa Bay and I think they may have bigger plans for Avery Moss than we realize at the moment

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post
                    Releasing JPP was about money. He was due $17 million per season over the next 3 years. With Odell and Collins due for new contracts, the move made a lot of sense. I was shocked they found a sucker. Thanks Tampa.
                    +1

                    IMO:
                    This was all it was about. They forecasted the cap going forward and need to rectify an issue that manifested.
                    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      the Giants DL needed depth and improvement overall, They very fact that JPP was playing with a club speaks volumes to the depth and state of the DL...
                      lets see how it turns out

                      "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

                      ​​​​​​ -Jesse James

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TEM View Post
                        +1

                        IMO:
                        This was all it was about. They forecasted the cap going forward and need to rectify an issue that manifested.
                        Correct. Reese had no business drawing up such an absurd contract.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Moving on from JPP was smart. That said it does not change the fact that our front 7 looks like one of the worst pass rushing front 7s in the NFL. We don't get to put up a sign that says "We made a good cap decision, let us sack your QB". In the short-term our pass rush is worse. JPP's 8 sacks are more than 1/2 of what the front 7 Gettleman just assembled had last year. And we chose to switch to a 3-4, hiccups involved in that switch do not get excused whatsoever, no one made the Giants do this. Long-term it may benefit us, but Eli is short-term. Inconsistent logic in the approaches there.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
                            Moving on from JPP was smart. That said it does not change the fact that our front 7 looks like one of the worst pass rushing front 7s in the NFL. We don't get to put up a sign that says "We made a good cap decision, let us sack your QB". In the short-term our pass rush is worse. JPP's 8 sacks are more than 1/2 of what the front 7 Gettleman just assembled had last year. And we chose to switch to a 3-4, hiccups involved in that switch do not get excused whatsoever, no one made the Giants do this. Long-term it may benefit us, but Eli is short-term. Inconsistent logic in the approaches there.


                            Why do you talk as if Jerry Reese is still the Giants GM?

                            Let me make this real simple for you to comprehend:

                            The Giants fired a stupid GM, and hired a smart GM.

                            Jerry Reese cannot set the Giants back any more.

                            End of story.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post



                              Why do you talk as if Jerry Reese is still the Giants GM?

                              Let me make this real simple for you to comprehend:

                              The Giants fired a stupid GM, and hired a smart GM.

                              Jerry Reese cannot set the Giants back any more.

                              End of story.
                              On what basis is Gettleman smarter than Reese? I was one of the biggest Reese bashers out there. I don't see much to write home about on Gettleman's resume. He inherited a SB nucleus and slowly tore it down. Most of "his" guys in Carolina are no longer on their roster. Carolina's RBs averaged about 3 yards per carry last year and people are acting as if he is this old school, hard nosed guru who knows how to build grind it offenses. Cam Newton was Carolina's running game. Cam Newton was Carolina's offense. What is the logic behind your statements? The Giants did so and so stuff so it must be brilliant is nonsense. The Giants hired Ben McAdoo. The Giants just went 3-13. And where did I reference Jerry Reese in the statement you quoted me on? I said we switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and on paper Gettleman has assembled what looks to be one of the worst pass rushing teams in the NFL. Where do you expect the 2018 Giants to rank in sacks?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X