Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants 'need more pass rushers,' Justin Tuck says

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "To say that the Giants struggled to sack the quarterback last season would be a drastic understatement.

Only the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers registered more quarterback sacks than the Giants' 27 in 2017, and former defensive end Justin Tuck has a simple suggestion to improve in that pivotal category this season.

"They need more pass rushers," Tuck said last week during the BTIG charity day in New York. "When I was playing, we had a big assortment of guys that could fit that mold,. But, I really like Lorenzo Carter, their third-round pick. He's a guy that kind of fits the mold that can get after the passer. I know that was a weakness for their defense last year, but I know this new staff is trying to address that. We can always use more pass rushers."

The Giants hope that Carter can provide a spark rushing the passer off the edge. Standing 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, Carter logged 21.5 tackles for loss and 14.0 sacks in four seasons as a starter at Georgia after being a five-star recruit out of high school." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Carter had 14 sacks in 4 years. That’s not a pass rusher. He’s an athlete. Hopefully they can teach him to be a rusher, but if you watch game film over a quick highlight real you see why he went in Round 3.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
      Carter had 14 sacks in 4 years. That’s not a pass rusher. He’s an athlete. Hopefully they can teach him to be a rusher, but if you watch game film over a quick highlight real you see why he went in Round 3.
      There are some good break downs on why his sack number was so low. Hopefully with a good game plan he can be better in the NFL. I'm hoping Avery Moss can be productive too. In the end you can never have enough pass rushers.
      LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
      "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
        There are some good break downs on why his sack number was so low. Hopefully with a good game plan he can be better in the NFL. I'm hoping Avery Moss can be productive too. In the end you can never have enough pass rushers.
        Wasn't that what Jerry Reese would say every draft year.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
          I liked the pick, I'm not hating on Carter. I'm just saying he's kind of raw as a rusher and we are in dire need of someone to step up in 2018 or we're not going to have a pass rush. I'm skeptical as to how successful he'll be from the jump. Georgia isn't exactly a small school Carter was getting very good coaching there. As an athlete his combine #s were off the charts. His game film is what slid him to Round 3. If his tape matched his combine he'd have been a top 10 pick, his combine was that impressive. I've seen guys with weaker combines put themselves into Round 1 simply on the athleticism scouts saw. His athleticism is off the charts, on par with any yet he still slid.
          Last edited by BigBlueTradeEli; 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Excerpt: "To say that the Giants struggled to sack the quarterback last season would be a drastic understatement.

Only the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers registered more quarterback sacks than the Giants' 27 in 2017, and former defensive end Justin Tuck has a simple suggestion to improve in that pivotal category this season.

"They need more pass rushers," Tuck said last week during the BTIG charity day in New York. "When I was playing, we had a big assortment of guys that could fit that mold,. But, I really like Lorenzo Carter, their third-round pick. He's a guy that kind of fits the mold that can get after the passer. I know that was a weakness for their defense last year, but I know this new staff is trying to address that. We can always use more pass rushers."

The Giants hope that Carter can provide a spark rushing the passer off the edge. Standing 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, Carter logged 21.5 tackles for loss and 14.0 sacks in four seasons as a starter at Georgia after being a five-star recruit out of high school." Read more...
            I've been saying this all along. Lack of pass rush is our #1 deficiency.........and was last year as well.
            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post

No. Ernie Accorsi used that phrase after drafting Kiwanuka.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I've been saying this all along. Lack of pass rush is our #1 deficiency.........and was last year as well.
                Again while I agree with you on how important it is ,last year was about the O ........or lack of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fifthavephil View Post

Yea, he stopped following his own advice and started drafting OL in early rounds. Rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by G1.. View Post
                    Again while I agree with you on how important it is ,last year was about the O ........or lack of it.
                    Everything was bad last year. Our defense was ranked 31st BTW. It was last until the final game where the Redskins mailed it in....allowing us to climb to 31st.

In a 3-13 season with such a horrible offense it';s easy to look past the pass rush problem. But if you hope to compete in a meaningful way...you have to get after the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

We've had this problem for 4 years now.
                      1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Our defense stinks. It's a major, major problem. I don't think it's been upgraded, I think it is arguably worse. They'll be learning a new scheme which is a built in excuse in September. If it has a pass rush it will come from guys who never rushed the QB well learning to rush the QB well. The corners 2-5 are led by Eli Apple who many wanted cut and whose only hope is potential flashed in spurts, he's been awful on and off the field for the most part.

If you take the Giant fan out of yourselves for a second and look at this D on paper, it is absolutely awful. No pass rush and poor coverage people has never and will never work in the modern NFL. Our only hope is winning games 31-27 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
                          Our defense stinks. It's a major, major problem. I don't think it's been upgraded, I think it is arguably worse. They'll be learning a new scheme which is a built in excuse in September. If it has a pass rush it will come from guys who never rushed the QB well learning to rush the QB well. The corners 2-5 are led by Eli Apple who many wanted cut and whose only hope is potential flashed in spurts, he's been awful on and off the field for the most part.

If you take the Giant fan out of yourselves for a second and look at this D on paper, it is absolutely awful. No pass rush and poor coverage people has never and will never work in the modern NFL. Our only hope is winning games 31-27 etc.
                          I disagree about our DB's. I think Jenkins is still one of the best cover corners in the league. I still think we are above average in the D backfield.

But the pass rush is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I disagree about our DB's. I think Jenkins is still one of the best cover corners in the league. I still think we are above average in the D backfield.

But the pass rush is horrible.
                            1 corner can be schemed away by an offense. You are not concerned about the other corners? Eli Apple? William Gay? I'd honestly need to copy and paste the other names from the depth chart because I have no clue who they are.

Comment

No kidding, there coming next year and the following year. The team is being built before your eyes. But it's going to compete right now.

We seem to be very weak as a pass rush. Thus the blitz packages are the only real way of producing a consistent pass rush imo. Carter who hasn't played a down and was passed in the first 2 rds looks like our best option.

We couldn't invest in a pass rush any higher in the draft than we did. We did great considering the 2 D players we got with the early 3rd rd picks.

We'll get there who knows lets see who breaks loose as camp goes on.

Comment

Working...
                              X