Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "To say that the Giants struggled to sack the quarterback last season would be a drastic understatement.

Only the Indianapolis Colts and Tampa Bay Buccaneers registered more quarterback sacks than the Giants' 27 in 2017, and former defensive end Justin Tuck has a simple suggestion to improve in that pivotal category this season.

"They need more pass rushers," Tuck said last week during the BTIG charity day in New York. "When I was playing, we had a big assortment of guys that could fit that mold,. But, I really like Lorenzo Carter, their third-round pick. He's a guy that kind of fits the mold that can get after the passer. I know that was a weakness for their defense last year, but I know this new staff is trying to address that. We can always use more pass rushers."

The Giants hope that Carter can provide a spark rushing the passer off the edge. Standing 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, Carter logged 21.5 tackles for loss and 14.0 sacks in four seasons as a starter at Georgia after being a five-star recruit out of high school." Read more...
    I want to like Carter but he is a raw pass rusher. I dont know if we can count on him this year.

Outside of OV we have no pass rush which is a shame. We have a bunch of hog mollies at DT but none can really get to the QB.

Betchers scheme is awesome though. Lets see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post
      Carter had 14 sacks in 4 years. Thatís not a pass rusher. Heís an athlete. Hopefully they can teach him to be a rusher, but if you watch game film over a quick highlight real you see why he went in Round 3.
      He had decent game vs Bama but once they fifufig him out he got shut down
      Football has been very, very good to us.
      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
      4-New York Giants!!!
      5-NE
      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I disagree about our DB's. I think Jenkins is still one of the best cover corners in the league. I still think we are above average in the D backfield.

But the pass rush is horrible.
        I agree. We have two All Pro DBs out of the 4. We have only one good pass rusher. Now luckily for us Bettcher has run a defense for several years that is basically set up to maximize your best pass rusher, get him a good match up and try to get him home. I think this year will be more about how successful Bettcher's scheme is and not how successful individual players are. He creates match ups and mismatches instead of just relying on your DL to beat the man in front of them.

Will it work? Who knows. I sure hope so because like Morehead said, we need to get after that QB or we are in a world of trouble.
        LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

I think with Avery Moss and Oliver Vernon we're going to be pleasantly surprised with the sacks this coming season and there's maybe a chance Lorenzo Carter has an impact on situational downs as a rookie too

Comment

shurmur and bettcher seem to have a knack for getting the most out of players that maybe otherwise would never have been on the radar. some of our answers on offense and defense are gonna be from guys we're not even talking about at this point. we'll see

Comment

Working...
            X