Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Giants are giving Eli Apple an unlikely second chance

https://nypost.com/2018/05/16/why-gi...second-chance/

Excerpt: "This time last year, Eli Apple was on his way to making it big. Much has transpired with Apple since, most of it bad and disturbing, and he readies for his third season with the Giants as a young player at a crossroads.

The Giants need Apple, perhaps more than any other holdover on their roster, to not only rebound but revitalize a reputation in tatters, if they are to rise from the depth of last place in the NFC East into the vicinity of playoff contention.

For all the enticing offensive toys for Eli Manning to play with, Odell Beckham Jr., Saquon Barkley and Co. cannot be expected to produce 25 to 30 points on a weekly basis. Already, it appears head coach Pat Shurmur will have to rely heavily on the ability of his defensive coordinator, James Bettcher, to out-scheme opponents and devise ways to manufacture pressure on the opposing quarterback.

It is virtually impossible to hide deficiencies at cornerback, though, and Apple was a major part of the problem after a truly nightmarish 2017 season.

There have been worse second acts, but not many. The new operating duo of Shurmur and general manager Dave Gettleman inherited quite a conundrum and, wisely, decided to wait and see rather than jettisoning Apple as a way of sending an introductory warning that there is a new Giants way of doing things.

This spring, Apple is a constant participant in the Giants’ offseason workout program. Gettleman and Shurmur have not said a whole lot about Apple, other than the broad-brush “clean slate’’ directive they assigned to players coming back from last season’s 3-13 nosedive." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

why wouldn't they?

makes no sense not too.

His problem is his ****ing attitude. He thinks he is "owed" something when in reality he hast really earned **** yet as a an NFL player. I know his Mom was ill and I mean no disrespect but he needs to keep her out of his football life. She creates problems and most likely eggs him on in the wrong way.

Last edited by GameTime; 05-17-2018, 09:03 AM.
    "it won't matter who we pick at #2 because whoever it is we need him..."

​​​​​​ -Jesse James

Comment

What did he do that was so bad? I saw Jenkins tank plays . I watched both DEs quit on plays . How many times did the recievers get behind the Superstar safety? Every tackle not named Snacks could not hold their gap assignment. The linebackers , can't say anything they were the linebackers.

Second chance. If he is undeserving none of them are. Most of them get paid more money then Apple. Yea he was a problem but not The problem.
      Last edited by TEM; 05-17-2018, 07:45 AM.
      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

This is complete media fodder the guy is in Year 3. Name me a reason he shouldn’t be given a chance, just one?

Common sense reasons to give him a chance:

1) Other than Janoris Jenkins the average person couldn’t name a corner on this roster

2) He was a high round 1 pick in the 2016 draft, I would guess 0% of 2016 Round 1s have had their team give up on them and release them yet

3) We fired the coaches and blamed them. If they were at fault should the new coaches not be expected to attempt to salvage the guys like Apple who underachieved?

Comment

In fact the more I look at our defensive roster Eli Apple is the only thing standing between it and being absolutely atrocious. They NEED him to be GOOD. We have no pass rush. Which means we need to blitz. Which means we need to be able to cover. Apple is the # 2 corner by default. If he doesn’t grow into that role immediately offenses are going to light us up in a horrible sequel to 2017.

Comment

Apple was bad as a rookie. He didn't know what he was doing, underestimated NFL speed over and over. Got turned around over and over. He was a panic pick and from the very beginning was a step behind and kept making the same mistakes. I put some of that on he just couldn't comprehend the scheme maybe cause he was a rookie, heck Collins was terrible as a rookie. Felt the coaching couldn't get thru to him, that does not necessarily puts the blame on coaching but they failed for whatever reason to get thru to him.

Apple's 2nd year was worse than his rookie year. Plus now the attitude was out of control throughout the season. But the whole defense was God awful after a brilliant 2016 season. So just to pick on him is unfair. 3 D backs suspended in one season tells you what Lombardi once said "what the hell is going on out there".

But Apple is nothing to hang your hat on and if he wasn't a 1st rd pick he should have and I think would have been cut. Even with us saving money on the rookie cap. Now is his 3rd year he better come to play cause were stuck with this pick thru next year as well. Cause even if we cut him he has dead money on the cap.

Comment

Apple and his Mom are ****s .

Comment

He's too talented not to give another chance to. He needs some coaching. Hopefully he'll get it.

I'm sorry but Spags ran a very loose ship.
                Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

So the title of the article should have been, "Giants not doing something really stupid"
                  "I hire my brains"...Horace Trumbauer

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
                    Apple was bad as a rookie. He didn't know what he was doing, underestimated NFL speed over and over. Got turned around over and over. He was a panic pick and from the very beginning was a step behind and kept making the same mistakes. I put some of that on he just couldn't comprehend the scheme maybe cause he was a rookie, heck Collins was terrible as a rookie. Felt the coaching couldn't get thru to him, that does not necessarily puts the blame on coaching but they failed for whatever reason to get thru to him.

Apple's 2nd year was worse than his rookie year. Plus now the attitude was out of control throughout the season. But the whole defense was God awful after a brilliant 2016 season. So just to pick on him is unfair. 3 D backs suspended in one season tells you what Lombardi once said "what the hell is going on out there".

But Apple is nothing to hang your hat on and if he wasn't a 1st rd pick he should have and I think would have been cut. Even with us saving money on the rookie cap. Now is his 3rd year he better come to play cause were stuck with this pick thru next year as well. Cause even if we cut him he has dead money on the cap.
                    No...Eli Apple struggled as almost all cover corners do as a rookie. He also made some plays and looked like he had a lot of promise as a legit cover guy.
                    Don't forget...he's not a "face the QB" kind of zone guy. He can cover.
                    Not sure how or why he got derailed last year. But he needs to be given a chance to win a job this year because it's in the direct interest of the team.

Comment

Reese left this organization in a real MESS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Not sure how or why he got derailed last year.
                        Cause he is mentally weak

Comment

Originally posted by B-Red22 View Post

Cause he is mentally weak
                          Do you want to cut Janoris as well?

Guess what....as DG said....."You don't give up on talent".

If he starts up again like last year, he'll be gone. But the kid has promise on the field and we would be friggin crazy to just give up on him based on 2017.

We had three players suspended from our CB crew last year. The entire team was bad and that **** can showball...which it did.

turn the page and put the best players on the field.

Comment

Sounds like last year was a perfect storm for Apple. This team had some serious disfunction, there was some reported friction between him mom and some family member, and then she took ill. I think it was overwhelming for him. He has shown talent, and if he can recover and grow from it, he could become a very strong player for us. Certainly deserves one more year.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post
                              Sounds like last year was a perfect storm for Apple. This team had some serious disfunction, there was some reported friction between him mom and some family member, and then she took ill. I think it was overwhelming for him. He has shown talent, and if he can recover and grow from it, he could become a very strong player for us. Certainly deserves one more year.
                              I agree, He had a lot on his plate . It was a lot for anyone to handle.
                              "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Working...
                              X