Why Giants are giving Eli Apple an unlikely second chance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

No...Eli Apple struggled as almost all cover corners do as a rookie. He also made some plays and looked like he had a lot of promise as a legit cover guy.
    Don't forget...he's not a "face the QB" kind of zone guy. He can cover.
    Not sure how or why he got derailed last year. But he needs to be given a chance to win a job this year because it's in the direct interest of the team.
    No.... Apple was bad as a rookie, he did a few plays here and there but was lost out there. He did make a pick I believe and I did say it wasn't all his fault cause the coaching couldn't get thru to hm. Only when DRC was lined up next to him in the slot and coached him on the field did his play improve. And your right he was suppose to cover speed guys in our division. Much like when we drafted Amukamara. Who never stayed healthy enough to count on. IMO Apple has been a let down since we drafted him.

He has the job going into this season, there "is" nobody else, he's the starter as camp opens. Were stuck with him for the next 2 years no matter what, unless he does a complete 180 he's not getting the 5th year option for 1st rd draft picks on their rookie contract. He's history.

And yes your right we need him to come thru this year desperately for our defense to have any chance in the passing game. He's not going to have much help from our pass rush unfortunately. This is a make or break year for him sure hope he comes to play and performs at a high level. I'm certainly rooting for him.

Comment

Apple is a smart man. Too bad the position coaches weren't.
      I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

Comment

They don't have much of a choice but to give him a second chance. It's simple. They let DRC and C0ckrell walk, so they better pray he plays better, because what's after him is extremely scary. I'm still not understanding why DG did this to a solid unit. C0ckrell signed a 2 year, $6,600,000 contract with the Panthers. You're telling me the Giants couldn't afford that? I know DG is GOD now that Reese is gone, but he made a unnecessary mess with the secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post
          They don't have much of a choice but to give him a second chance. It's simple. They let DRC and C0ckrell walk, so they better pray he plays better, because what's after him is extremely scary. I'm still not understanding why DG did this to a solid unit. C0ckrell signed a 2 year, $6,600,000 contract with the Panthers. You're telling me the Giants couldn't afford that? I know DG is GOD now that Reese is gone, but he made a unnecessary mess with the secondary.
          They have 8 million in cap space. A team needs a min of 6 for a buffer . How could they have?
          "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Do you want to cut Janoris as well?

Guess what....as DG said....."You don't give up on talent".

If he starts up again like last year, he'll be gone. But the kid has promise on the field and we would be friggin crazy to just give up on him based on 2017.

We had three players suspended from our CB crew last year. The entire team was bad and that **** can showball...which it did.

turn the page and put the best players on the field.

I was just answering the question bro

Comment

Originally posted by TEM View Post

They have 8 million in cap space. A team needs a min of 6 for a buffer . How could they have?
              They have 8 million now. You're talking past tense,

Comment

They have 8 million now. You're talking past tense,
                I am not talking past tense. Every team need a 6 million dollar buffer to sign players for injuries . If they have to sign a player or as what happened last year with all the injuries many players and do not have the cash. That will come off the top of the next years cap allocations . The Giants had I think 7 in space going into last season and still racked up a 1.5 deficit that was payed out off of this years cap space.
                Last edited by TEM; 05-18-2018, 08:51 AM.
                "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

I am not talking past thence. Every team need a 6 million dollar buffer to sign players for injuries . If they have to sign a player or as what happened last year with all the injuries many players and do not have the cash. That will come off the top of the next years cap allocations . The Giants had I think 7 in space going into last season and still racked up a 1.5 deficit that was payed out of this years cap space.
                  I'm not going to get into a back in forth with you. They could have retained C0ckrell and simply chose not to. They started the offseason with $28 million to spend. Somewhere in the $28 million, they could have signed C0ckrell.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...alysis_ho.html

Comment

I'm not going to get into a back in forth with you. They could have retained C0ckrell and simply chose not to. They started the offseason with $28 million to spend. Somewhere in the $28 million, they could have signed C0ckrell.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...alysis_ho.html
                    OK who were they going to not sign? The LT , The LBS, DTs, DEs The OGs The Center. All open positions the need to be filled for starting positions.

you can say what you want about singing this guy or that . FAs fill needs . The draft builds a team . The FAs signed filled gaping holes on the roster, a backup corner was not a priority.

Comment

OK who were they going to not sign? The LT , The LBS, DTs, DEs The OGs The Center. All open positions the need to be filled for starting positions.

you can say what you want about singing this guy or that . FAs fill needs . The draft builds a team . The FAs signed filled gaping holes on the roster, a backup corner was not a priority.
                      A backup corner? He was staring opposite Jenkins and DRC after Jenkins went down. What are you talking about? Apple was benched and suspended last season and C0ckrell stepped in and perfomred at a much higher level than Apple. You have your facts wrong.

Comment

A backup corner? He was staring opposite Jenkins and DRC after Jenkins went down. What are you talking about? Apple was benched and suspended last season and C0ckrell stepped in and perfomred at a much higher level than Apple. You have your facts wrong.
                        Exactly the description of a backup corner.
                        Apple and Jenkins are under contract. That is the hard fact . As I said FA are plugged in to fill a need .The FO did not want to pay a corner that was not going to play 3 downs to sit on the bench for what he received. They had bigger holes to fill and had limited funds.. It was what resources they had to spend and what they need to fill. You are making it about something it is not. There was no way they were going to pay him having 2 starting corners under contract. If you are suggesting the FO give up on a top 10 pick after season 2. That ain't happening in this universe . No how no way.

Comment

At this point what other viable option do they hsvto start in place of him. I'll wait.. That's right. No One
                          Football has been very, very good to us.
                          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                          4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE
                          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

I promise you that Apple will not be projected as a back up CB. If he doesn't crack the starting lineup...he'll probably be cut.
                            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
                              At this point what other viable option do they hsvto start in place of him. I'll wait.. That's right. No One
                              Exactly. This didn't need to be an issue. I hope the young man can step his game up, because it's dire on the backend.

Comment

I promise you that Apple will not be projected as a back up CB. If he doesn't crack the starting lineup...he'll probably be cut.
                                I think he will make the starting roster. His mother becoming ill just might have compromised him mentally. If the players head is not in the game it can affect how one plays. I can see why the Giants gave him a pass. The Moron HC last year should have been able to deduce that and perhaps placed him on IR because of that. Instead of doubling down and making him worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X