Projected Front 7 Had 13.5 Sacks Total Last Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projected Front 7 Had 13.5 Sacks Total Last Year

Not sure what Gettleman’s philosophy is upfront we won SBs while he was employed here with a 4-3 led by monster pass rushers at DE. So he switched us to a 3-4 and supplied absolutely no pass rushers. Here are the # of sacks our projected starters had last year:

Olivier Vernon - 7 Sacks

Kareem Martin - 1 Sack

Josh Mauro - 1 Sack

Alec Ogletree - 2 Sacks

Damon Harrison - 1.5 sacks

BJ Goodson - 0 Sacks

Dalvin Tomlinson - 1 Sack

Then Lorenzo Carter and BJ Hill will play in the rotation so we basically need round 3 and 4 picks to hit the ground running like top 5 picks to formulate a pass rush?

Gettleman didn't switch us to a 3-4, that is not the GMs call. Shurmur switched us to that based on his DC running a very successful 3-4. We didn't have pass rushers the last few years in our 4-3 so IMO it's not a big deal switching to 3-4. Carter and Hill were both 3rd round picks (just nitpicking here). I am hoping that we can pick up someone along the way just to fill in with the nickel package and add some pass rush ability though. The season is a long way away.

Avery Moss had 17.5 TFL and 11 sacks his last year in college, I hope Bettcher can get some pass rush out of him.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Total Pressures > Total Sacks in my humble opinion. Yea it's nice to see a sack but if the QB's are throwing ducks and skip passes (ala Eli last year) due to pressure that's much more valuable....I'd be interested in seeing those numbers though I'd imagine they're rather paltry for the guys who were hear last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJayC View Post
        Total Pressures > Total Sacks in my humble opinion. Yea it's nice to see a sack but if the QB's are throwing ducks and skip passes (ala Eli last year) due to pressure that's much more valuable....I'd be interested in seeing those numbers though I'd imagine they're rather paltry for the guys who were hear last year.
        Not disagreeing, but given the sack #s listed above I'm pretty sure this group was light on pressures compared to other Ds as well. And Mauro and Martin were playing for Bettcher.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlueTradeEli View Post

Not disagreeing, but given the sack #s listed above I'm pretty sure this group was light on pressures compared to other Ds as well. And Mauro and Martin were playing for Bettcher.
          OV did have his share of pressure last year . Having a Big man in front of him at times to occupy the LT would allow his sack numbers to increase. At least in theory
          "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Not sure what Gettleman’s philosophy is upfront we won SBs while he was employed here with a 4-3 led by monster pass rushers at DE. So he switched us to a 3-4 and supplied absolutely no pass rushers. Here are the # of sacks our projected starters had last year:

Olivier Vernon - 7 Sacks

Kareem Martin - 1 Sack

Josh Mauro - 1 Sack

Alec Ogletree - 2 Sacks

Damon Harrison - 1.5 sacks

BJ Goodson - 0 Sacks

Dalvin Tomlinson - 1 Sack

Then Lorenzo Carter and BJ Hill will play in the rotation so we basically need round 3 and 4 picks to hit the ground running like top 5 picks to formulate a pass rush?
            Not a lot of sacks over the past 4 season overall. We're going to have to wait and see. These numbers you posted isn't an indication of how the pass rush will look. If you're concerned about the lack of pass rush, then the secondary situation should concern you even more. It's basically Jenkins back there and 11 other guys playing corner. losing DRC and C0ckrell is really going to hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post

Not a lot of sacks over the past 4 season overall. We're going to have to wait and see. These numbers you posted isn't an indication of how the pass rush will look. If you're concerned about the lack of pass rush, then the secondary situation should concern you even more. It's basically Jenkins back there and 11 other guys playing corner. losing DRC and C0ckrell is really going to hurt.
              They go hand in hand, our pass rush and lack of cover people are an absolutely awful combination. I think we are closer to the worst D in football than we are to average. Spags was the DC in 16 and 17 we were # 2 in D in '16 # 31 in '17. So anyone who wants to point to Bettcher is clueless. We had the same DC, same scheme back to back years and finished and opposite ends of the spectrum. The personnel is what determines results.

Comment

They go hand in hand, our pass rush and lack of cover people are an absolutely awful combination. I think we are closer to the worst D in football than we are to average. Spags was the DC in 16 and 17 we were # 2 in D in '16 # 31 in '17. So anyone who wants to point to Bettcher is clueless. We had the same DC, same scheme back to back years and finished and opposite ends of the spectrum. The personnel is what determines results.
                I never mentioned Bettcher. Not sure what your point is either. I simply stated that we're going to have to wait and see. I also simply stated that letting DRC and C0ckrell go is going to affect the backend. What I'm not going to do, because the defense hasn't played a single snap together yet, is proclaim that the team is going to have close to the worst defense in the league.

If that's what you feel, so be it, but there's nothing to really back that up with. The defense over the past 2 seasons was out on the field longer than any other defense in the league. Why? The offense stunk. If you think that didn't have an affect on the defense overall, oh well.

Comment

Yeah the DC and OC have no influence over the outcomes and results.....The personnel didn't suddenly get bad in 2017, they were almost exactly the same, what happened was this entire team and locker room was dysfunctional. There is a good reason that the entire coaching staff is gone this year.
                  LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                  "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Bottom line, we need to be patient with the Defense and give into Year 2 for it to hit it's stride. I too, am worried about the Pass Rush, but we have to hope that the Edge guys will pick up the scheme and produce.

If we can be stout against the run, and get some pressure on 3rd Down, we will be OK.

We just need to remember that this team can;t be fixed overnight. We had a lot of poor drafts, and we need a few seasons of good drafts and a of Key Veteran Free Agents to turn it around. It can turn around though.

I am going to look for incremental progress through the season as a Yardstick.

Comment

Working...
                    X