Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil Brandt: Giants had best offseason in the NFL

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "New Giants general manager Dave Gettleman set out this offseason to put last year's 3-13 record in the rearview mirror.

Trading for veteran linebacker Alec Ogletree, signing left tackle Nate Solder and right guard Patrick Omameh, drafting running back Saquon Barkley No. 2 overall and and taking heralded UTEP guard Will Hernandez with the No. 34 selection have significantly lifted the talent on the Giants' roster.

According to former veteran NFL executive Gil Brandt, who is widely viewed as The Godfather of scouting, the Giants offseason was the best in the NFL:

"The addition of experienced head coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Dave Gettleman automatically helped this team. Then, the Giants acquired some much-needed assistance for quarterback Eli Manning and their anemic running game by signing left tackle Nate Solder and drafting running back Saquon Barkley and guard Will Hernandez. Trade acquisition Alec Ogletree, meanwhile, is probably the Giants' best starting linebacker since Antonio Pierce nine years ago. Furthermore, Shurmur and Gettleman have apparently been able to press the right buttons with Odell Beckham and Eli Apple, as both reported for the team's offseason conditioning program despite Beckham's discontent with his contract situation and Apple's tumultuous season ending in a one-game suspension by the team." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Gil Brandt is very respected when he was with Dallas it seemed he didn't miss. Sure hope he's right.

We all probably have a real good feeling with say 6 new players that 5 are penciled in to start and the 6th has a chance. The 2 new vets Solder and Ogletree are going to be instrumental in making their units work. Of course Barkley and Hernandez are starters on offense. Carter looks to be on defense, easily. And Hill has a chance to start or at least play significantly.

These 6 new players are going to help make us much stronger plus the return of OBJ.

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
      Gil Brandt is very respected when he was with Dallas it seemed he didn't miss. Sure hope he's right.

We all probably have a real good feeling with say 6 new players that 5 are penciled in to start and the 6th has a chance. The 2 new vets Solder and Ogletree are going to be instrumental in making their units work. Of course Barkley and Hernandez are starters on offense. Carter looks to be on defense, easily. And Hill has a chance to start or at least play significantly.

These 6 new players are going to help make us much stronger plus the return of OBJ.
      yep I agree.
      "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Excerpt: "New Giants general manager Dave Gettleman set out this offseason to put last year's 3-13 record in the rearview mirror.

Trading for veteran linebacker Alec Ogletree, signing left tackle Nate Solder and right guard Patrick Omameh, drafting running back Saquon Barkley No. 2 overall and and taking heralded UTEP guard Will Hernandez with the No. 34 selection have significantly lifted the talent on the Giants' roster.

According to former veteran NFL executive Gil Brandt, who is widely viewed as The Godfather of scouting, the Giants offseason was the best in the NFL:

"The addition of experienced head coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Dave Gettleman automatically helped this team. Then, the Giants acquired some much-needed assistance for quarterback Eli Manning and their anemic running game by signing left tackle Nate Solder and drafting running back Saquon Barkley and guard Will Hernandez. Trade acquisition Alec Ogletree, meanwhile, is probably the Giants' best starting linebacker since Antonio Pierce nine years ago. Furthermore, Shurmur and Gettleman have apparently been able to press the right buttons with Odell Beckham and Eli Apple, as both reported for the team's offseason conditioning program despite Beckham's discontent with his contract situation and Apple's tumultuous season ending in a one-game suspension by the team." Read more...
        I remember when the "dream team" 2012 Eagles won the off season. They then went 4-12 and their HC got fired.
        Just be careful about being to pumped up about the off season. The Rams made huge moves and I have a feeling they will have a disappointing season.
        Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I remember when the "dream team" 2012 Eagles won the off season. They then went 4-12 and their HC got fired.
          Just be careful about being to pumped up about the off season. The Rams made huge moves and I have a feeling they will have a disappointing season.
          I'm thinking that just replacing BM with PS may be the biggest change we made, and gives me more confidence than any player moves.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

I'm thinking that just replacing BM with PS may be the biggest change we made, and gives me more confidence than any player moves.
            Ben McAdoo's W/L record is much better than Pat Shurmer's.

Just saying........

Comment

Just saying........
              The eagles won free agency.. the giants got better through the draft, free agency and trades.. Also, mcadoo never coached the browns

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Nice article. I certainly wish this to show when the season begins. Go Big Blue !
                1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post

The eagles won free agency.. the giants got better through the draft, free agency and trades.. Also, mcadoo never coached the browns
                  Well Pat Shurmer took over for a team that was 10-22 in the previous 2 years. Then went 9-23....Worse.
                  MacAdoo took over for a team that was 12-20 the previous two years and went 13-15 with a playoff appearance.....Better.

I get the optimism regarding our team but this GM, who was fired a year ago from Carolina, and this HC who has a career record of 9-23, and was fired after two years........have a heck of a lot to prove.

Comment

Just saying........
                    His offense wasnt. Just saying....

Comment

Originally posted by DandyDon View Post

His offense wasnt. Just saying....
                      The HC's job is to be responsible for the entire team. As I have said since the day he was hired as HC, I do not like the guy and did not think he was a leader of men.

But we seem to have all this blind faith in this HC when his record was abysmal. I don't want to hear about the fact that it was the Browns. they had a better record the previous two years than they did in HIS two years as HC.

He seems like a smart and affable guy, but as an NFL HC he has to earn it still. He's was bad in his previous job.

I feel the same about Gettleman. I like his moves so far but he still hasn't proven a thing here.

Comment

The HC's job is to be responsible for the entire team. As I have said since the day he was hired as HC, I do not like the guy and did not think he was a leader of men.

But we seem to have all this blind faith in this HC when his record was abysmal. I don't want to hear about the fact that it was the Browns. they had a better record the previous two years than they did in HIS two years as HC.

He seems like a smart and affable guy, but as an NFL HC he has to earn it still. He's was bad in his previous job.

I feel the same about Gettleman. I like his moves so far but he still hasn't proven a thing here.
                        I totally agree neither one has proven anything. But Mac did prove something already.

Comment

I completely objected to the BM hiring. I was called a whiner and malcontent. Well I was definitely whining and not content I guess. But I couldn't believe the approval from Giants fans over that choice.
                          The guy was soft and thin skinned. he was NEVER HC material.

I wanted Doug Marrone and that is who we should have hired. Imagine where we would be because he would have brought Jim Schwartz as DC.

Ultimately, the jury is very much out on the Gettleman/Shurmer era in New York. Personally I think Gettleman is even more condescending and arrogant than JR was...and that is a high bar. Shurmer is much more likable but ultimately it will be performance that matters.

we shall all see.

Comment

Well Pat Shurmer took over for a team that was 10-22 in the previous 2 years. Then went 9-23....Worse.
                            MacAdoo took over for a team that was 12-20 the previous two years and went 13-15 with a playoff appearance.....Better.

I get the optimism regarding our team but this GM, who was fired a year ago from Carolina, and this HC who has a career record of 9-23, and was fired after two years........have a heck of a lot to prove.
                            you know what they say about lies, big lies and statistics, right?

Also, I think Surmer learned a great deal with the failure in Cleveland, and subsequent assistant assignments. I'm thinking he'll be much better this time around in most areas. I have no complaints about how he's gone about his business here so far.

Comment

Just saying........
                              He also made the playoffs as a rookie head coach after turning around a team that underachieved for nearly 5 seasons. How often does that happen?

Comment

Working...
                              X