Gil Brandt: Giants had best offseason in the NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

The HC's job is to be responsible for the entire team. As I have said since the day he was hired as HC, I do not like the guy and did not think he was a leader of men.
    He had the guts to ask Eli to compete, other coaches wouldn't. Unfortunately, Eli refused and the media used that as an opportunity to stir up drama for ratings and we all know what happened next. I classify that as leadership. I wish he was tougher on Odell though.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

you know what they say about lies, big lies and statistics, right?

Also, I think Surmer learned a great deal with the failure in Cleveland, and subsequent assistant assignments. I'm thinking he'll be much better this time around in most areas. I have no complaints about how he's gone about his business here so far.
      There was another coach who had a lousy record win Cleveland and was fired. He went on to success elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue_ToThe_Bone View Post

He also made the playoffs as a rookie head coach after turning around a team that underachieved for nearly 5 seasons. How often does that happen?
        A lot of coaches change franchises around. Mac had very little to do with 2016. It was Reese splurging on FA.

2017 was relatively the same team and Mac couldn’t coach for peanuts. Now nobody is even offering him peanuts.

Mac was flat out hot garbage. How anyone can remotely defend him on any way I have no idea. It makes no sense. He was a lost cause here.

Comment

I remember when the "dream team" 2012 Eagles won the off season. They then went 4-12 and their HC got fired.
          Just be careful about being to pumped up about the off season. The Rams made huge moves and I have a feeling they will have a disappointing season.
          Your right Morehead, was that when the Eagles were yelling about a dynasty when they never had won a single SB ? The Rams, Eagles, and Vikes look pretty darn good to me. And the rest of the NFC has improved just like us. And your 100% right about the Rams, whew !

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
            Gil Brandt is very respected when he was with Dallas it seemed he didn't miss. Sure hope he's right.

We all probably have a real good feeling with say 6 new players that 5 are penciled in to start and the 6th has a chance. The 2 new vets Solder and Ogletree are going to be instrumental in making their units work. Of course Barkley and Hernandez are starters on offense. Carter looks to be on defense, easily. And Hill has a chance to start or at least play significantly.

These 6 new players are going to help make us much stronger plus the return of OBJ.
            I doubt Carter is the starter at LB this year. Olivier Vernon will 100% start at Joker. Ogletree will 100% start at MLB. BJ Goodson appears to be a lock for the other MLB spot. That leaves Carter competing for the other OLB spot. His competition is Martin, a guy that was brought in specifically for his knowledge of Bettchers system and past performance in said system. I do think Carter will contribute as a pass rusher early on and perhaps gain some more playing time as he adjusts to the NFL.

As for this Mac vs Shurmur debate. It is not really a debate at all. Mac was an OC for 2 years before becoming the HC. Shurmur has 7 years as an OC and 3 as a HC under his belt. The offense he has run the last couple years has been very dynamic utilizing many different formations and skill sets. He obviously needs to prove himself here, but there is nothing wrong with thinking he could be a huge upgrade over Mac. You don't have to agree, but that should not be based on their W/L record as HCs.

Pat Shurmur is undefeated as an NFC East Head Coach.
            LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
            "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post
              I doubt Carter is the starter at LB this year. Olivier Vernon will 100% start at Joker. Ogletree will 100% start at MLB. BJ Goodson appears to be a lock for the other MLB spot. That leaves Carter competing for the other OLB spot. His competition is Martin, a guy that was brought in specifically for his knowledge of Bettchers system and past performance in said system. I do think Carter will contribute as a pass rusher early on and perhaps gain some more playing time as he adjusts to the NFL.

As for this Mac vs Shurmur debate. It is not really a debate at all. Mac was an OC for 2 years before becoming the HC. Shurmur has 7 years as an OC and 3 as a HC under his belt. The offense he has run the last couple years has been very dynamic utilizing many different formations and skill sets. He obviously needs to prove himself here, but there is nothing wrong with thinking he could be a huge upgrade over Mac. You don't have to agree, but that should not be based on their W/L record as HCs.

This offense doesn't have a lack of weapons. IF the Oline can improve and open some holes for the new kid it might be interesting season. I don't evaluate on paper though. They need to put it together on the field where it counts. Big Mac is gone so that in itself is an upgrade.
              sigpic

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post
                Gil Brandt is very respected when he was with Dallas it seemed he didn't miss. Sure hope he's right.

We all probably have a real good feeling with say 6 new players that 5 are penciled in to start and the 6th has a chance. The 2 new vets Solder and Ogletree are going to be instrumental in making their units work. Of course Barkley and Hernandez are starters on offense. Carter looks to be on defense, easily. And Hill has a chance to start or at least play significantly.

These 6 new players are going to help make us much stronger plus the return of OBJ.
                They also signed Obremeh ( Spelling ) who probably starts at RG
                Football has been very, very good to us.
                After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                4-New York Giants!!!
                5-NE
                Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Well Pat Shurmer took over for a team that was 10-22 in the previous 2 years. Then went 9-23....Worse.
                  MacAdoo took over for a team that was 12-20 the previous two years and went 13-15 with a playoff appearance.....Better.

I get the optimism regarding our team but this GM, who was fired a year ago from Carolina, and this HC who has a career record of 9-23, and was fired after two years........have a heck of a lot to prove.
                  You won that one. Very good.
                  I made countless predictions based on analyzing the roster and have a high success rate in making the right predictions for years. I gave Eli tips on how to improve his play in 07. I sent him advice on how to improve his performance in a letter I sent to him before the Giants play the Pats in the last regular season of the 07 Season. He did what I wanted him to do leading the Giants to Superbowl victory.

Comment

Originally posted by tittletoshofner View Post

There was another coach who had a lousy record win Cleveland and was fired. He went on to success elsewhere.
                    No...He made the playoffs (And that was really the Ravens franchise). and had to deal with a team that was an institution in Cleveland moving to Baltimore.
                    No head coach would have had a chance.
                    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

I remember when the "dream team" 2012 Eagles won the off season. They then went 4-12 and their HC got fired.
                      Just be careful about being to pumped up about the off season. The Rams made huge moves and I have a feeling they will have a disappointing season.
                      This

although I think the giants won the off-season on 12/4/17

Comment

I agree with Morehead
                        Winning in the NFL is tough piece of meat without having a sub par record hanging over your head. I can't imagine the self pressure Pat. has place upon himself to make a good showing.

I watched a show a few weeks a go . On coaching It was stated by a most of the coaches interviewed. They were across all disciplines Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball. There were some big name coaches interviewed. All of them had the exact thing in common. None of the accepted a win as a victory All of them would dwell on the one or few mistakes they made during the game. They would become obsessed with the mistakes and how to improve upon them.

I wish I would have DVR the show I don't even know the name of it. One coach said He lives for loses . Wins mean nothing. Loses mean I have work to do. Because I do not have a link so I will not use his name . You would be surprised who it is that said that.

I guess with great minds come greater issues with self-loathing.

The one thing I like about Pat the you do not see from some other failed coaches is the past with their second chance. He projects confidence and a an image of non-desperation.
                        "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Originally posted by IrishMike357 View Post

What you say about the starting LBers could very well be. I hadn't realized that about Martin, it makes sense. I was thinking about Carters athleticism at 6'6" and 240 in the pass rush as you had stated.

I agree with you 100% about Shurmer, his experience as OC and HC and multiple formations is a welcome change with our offense. I am so hopeful with our offense this year.

HaHa and Yes Shurmur is undefeated as an NFC Head Coach.

Comment

Well Pat Shurmer took over for a team that was 10-22 in the previous 2 years. Then went 9-23....Worse.
                            MacAdoo took over for a team that was 12-20 the previous two years and went 13-15 with a playoff appearance.....Better.

I get the optimism regarding our team but this GM, who was fired a year ago from Carolina, and this HC who has a career record of 9-23, and was fired after two years........have a heck of a lot to prove.
                            It is very reasonable to hedge against unchecked optimism, as you have done above.
                            I do think it's fair to say that the talent level has improved.
                            At least we are not trying to convince ourselves one more time, through one more off season that the OL line has talent and changes were not needed.

The beautiful thing about sports is that it will all reveal itself beginning in September.
                            No one remembers who came in second.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post

They also signed Obremeh ( Spelling ) who probably starts at RG
                              Your right Mike I forgot about him. Omameh (spelling) I am hoping can run block as good as Fluker, and be an improvement in the pass blocking. Don't know of him coming into this season. Hopefully he becomes a force on this O Line.

Comment

I guess Shurmer really stunk it up his second year in Cleveland because I know he was 9-7 in year one there

Comment

Working...
                                X