Gil Brandt: Giants had best offseason in the NFL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShineOnForever View Post

The eagles won free agency.. the giants got better through the draft, free agency and trades.. Also, mcadoo never coached the browns
    The Giants aren't better until they prove that they're better on the field. Its the same thing over and over: people keep assuming that because they signed new guys in FA, and drafted guys that were highly rated, that the team is automatically improved. No proof required.

Anyone who understands the game knows that if the pieces you have dont all fit together as a single unit, then it's going to be ugly. It takes far more than just talent to win in this league. You need chemistry not only with the players, but also between the coaches and players as well. Without chemistry, you've got nothing but talented guys running around on different pages, losing football games.
    The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Well Pat Shurmer took over for a team that was 10-22 in the previous 2 years. Then went 9-23....Worse.
      MacAdoo took over for a team that was 12-20 the previous two years and went 13-15 with a playoff appearance.....Better.

I get the optimism regarding our team but this GM, who was fired a year ago from Carolina, and this HC who has a career record of 9-23, and was fired after two years........have a heck of a lot to prove.
      also mcadoo never coached the browns

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

The Giants aren't better until they prove that they're better on the field. Its the same thing over and over: people keep assuming that because they signed new guys in FA, and drafted guys that were highly rated, that the team is automatically improved. No proof required.

Anyone who understands the game knows that if the pieces you have dont all fit together as a single unit, then it's going to be ugly. It takes far more than just talent to win in this league. You need chemistry not only with the players, but also between the coaches and players as well. Without chemistry, you've got nothing but talented guys running around on different pages, losing football games.
        you do realize its the offseason and fans talk about the teams offseason during the offseason right? also, talent wise the giants are a better team than they were at this time last year.. thats not even debatable.

Comment

you do realize its the offseason and fans talk about the teams offseason during the offseason right? also, talent wise the giants are a better team than they were at this time last year.. thats not even debatable.
          Sure its debateable, because they haven't yet proven a damn thing. They haven't taken the field together against any competition. Ergo, no one has any idea if they're a better team or not. Games aren't played on paper

And I never said that people shouldn't talk about it, sport. I merely suggested that calling the team "better" without actual proof of it is not a smart thing to do.
          The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by shocknaweny View Post

I guess Shurmer really stunk it up his second year in Cleveland because I know he was 9-7 in year one there
            No..You are mistaken.
            Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

I remember when the "dream team" 2012 Eagles won the off season. They then went 4-12 and their HC got fired.
              Just be careful about being to pumped up about the off season. The Rams made huge moves and I have a feeling they will have a disappointing season.
              So? He's not declaring them a dream team...are any kf you ever happy? Unreal.

Comment

Really? because we were all talking SB going into last season. Are we talking about it now?

Don't be fooled about how teams look on paper.
                Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Really? because we were all talking SB going into last season. Are we talking about it now?

We're definitely going to win it. 39-0 over whoever we end up playing!

Comment

Originally posted by fletch842 View Post

you know what they say about lies, big lies and statistics, right?

Also, I think Surmer learned a great deal with the failure in Cleveland, and subsequent assistant assignments. I'm thinking he'll be much better this time around in most areas. I have no complaints about how he's gone about his business here so far.
                    In comparison to the other coaches like Hue Jackson, 9 wins in Cleveland over two years feels like 27.
                    “It drops deep as it does in my breath

I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined

I think of crime, when I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Nasir Jones

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

Your right Mike I forgot about him. Omameh (spelling) I am hoping can run block as good as Fluker, and be an improvement in the pass blocking. Don't know of him coming into this season. Hopefully he becomes a force on this O Line.
                      Yes it will be much different looking OLine. Will have Soder on left side with Hernandez next to him. ( I think they should put Herrnandez on right side to balance out the line) and on right Omameh probably at RG with either Wheeler or dare dare i say it Flowers at RT and Jones C
                      Football has been very, very good to us.
                      After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                      But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                      2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                      3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                      4-New York Giants!!!
                      5-NE
                      Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

This offense doesn't have a lack of weapons. IF the Oline can improve and open some holes for the new kid it might be interesting season. I don't evaluate on paper though. They need to put it together on the field where it counts. Big Mac is gone so that in itself is an upgrade.
                        There are two options. Judge things in real time as they are happening or judge things based on facts from the past. Since no football is being played at the moment all we can do is judge stuff by the past. It doesn't mean we will be right but there is literally no other option. Even in you post where you claim not to evaluate on paper you are judging by their past performance. We have things that were weapons in the past, doesn't mean they will be again. We have a coach that has run some very good offenses, doesn't mean he will again. That is all we have though. So either we don't debate anything or we make decisions based on the knowledge we do have.

Originally posted by That Guy Rich View Post

What you say about the starting LBers could very well be. I hadn't realized that about Martin, it makes sense. I was thinking about Carters athleticism at 6'6" and 240 in the pass rush as you had stated.

I agree with you 100% about Shurmer, his experience as OC and HC and multiple formations is a welcome change with our offense. I am so hopeful with our offense this year.

HaHa and Yes Shurmur is undefeated as an NFC Head Coach.
                        I have a good feeling about Carter. Very athletic and looks like he can cover plus has some pass rush potential too. With any luck he will develop into a very good LB, I just think it'll take time.

I have high hopes too. Kind of Ironic the 1 game Shurmur has been the HC for in the NFC was a win against the Giants.
                        LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
                        "Next man up"

"I am a nasty football player, I get after people. That is something that I am very proud of. I am out there and I am physical every play, making sure that the guy across from me wants to quit." - Adam Bisnowaty

Comment

Well Pat Shurmer took over for a team that was 10-22 in the previous 2 years. Then went 9-23....Worse.
                          MacAdoo took over for a team that was 12-20 the previous two years and went 13-15 with a playoff appearance.....Better.

I get the optimism regarding our team but this GM, who was fired a year ago from Carolina, and this HC who has a career record of 9-23, and was fired after two years........have a heck of a lot to prove.
                          There is so much more to all this than those numbers. Name Cleveland's starting qb (s), terrible roster to being with, the ownership changed. Whereas macadoo came in with a vet qb, and huge spending spree on defense and ran the same system they ran 2 years prior.. the situations are much different for these cases.
                          sigpic #80

Comment

Most fans knew the offensive line was a major question mark before last year and could derail any hopes at a successful season. This years team has more talent, no question.

Comment

The HC's job is to be responsible for the entire team. As I have said since the day he was hired as HC, I do not like the guy and did not think he was a leader of men.

But we seem to have all this blind faith in this HC when his record was abysmal. I don't want to hear about the fact that it was the Browns. they had a better record the previous two years than they did in HIS two years as HC.

He seems like a smart and affable guy, but as an NFL HC he has to earn it still. He's was bad in his previous job.

I feel the same about Gettleman. I like his moves so far but he still hasn't proven a thing here.
                              If you were an in demand coach or GM would you want this job? They were going to force a declining QB down your throat, you have no cap space, a roster filled with overpaid malconts, and a lunatic at WR.

Comment

Is it me or does the team that always gets the high draft picks, trades up, or makes moves in FA always "win" the off season.
                                http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
                                http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
                                http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

Working...
                                X