Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Self-made' Sean Chandler at home with Giants after growing up homeless in Camden | 'Toughest kid I ever coached'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Self-made' Sean Chandler at home with Giants after growing up homeless in Camden | 'Toughest kid I ever coached'

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Sean Chandler dove for the football and clutched it tight in his hands, just like the free hot dogs he used to bring home to his hungry younger sister.

The rookie safety bounced up and looked to return the interception in the opposite direction, just like how he once found a path to dodge trouble on the streets of Camden.

The Giants signed Chandler to their 90-man roster as an undrafted free agent, and he has quickly asserted himself in practice as a threat to steal a spot when teams cut down to 53.

If those sound like long odds, consider Chandler already has survived a childhood in and out of six different homeless shelters to reach the NFL. The family sometimes moved day-to-day, and a week's stay in one place felt long.

"The uncertainty of not knowing where your next meal is going to come from or where you are going to be at the next day," Chandler told NJ Advance Media, "is the hardest part." REad more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I believe he will make the team.

Comment

Hope he does play way better than expected!!

Comment

Gotta root for a kid like this. I really hope he makes it.

Comment

Great writeup, and an amazing story of coming through hard circumstances. I'll be rooting for the kid!

Comment

Working...
          X