Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dalvin Tomlinson, after strong rookie year, on new Giants defense: 'Reminds me of Alabama's scheme'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dalvin Tomlinson, after strong rookie year, on new Giants defense: 'Reminds me of Alabama's scheme'

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "Dalvin Tomlinson played like one of the NFL's top rookies while learning a new defense, so what is he capable of now that he is returning to the familiar?

As the Giants install a 3-4 base defense under first-year coordinator James Bettcher, Tomlinson is getting flashbacks. Not only to his meeting with Bettcher -- the then-Cardinals defensive coordinator -- before the 2017 NFL Draft, but to his days at NCAA powerhouse Alabama.

Sure, the playbook terminology is different from system to system, but ...

"It feels like the old defense I'm already a part of," Tomlinson said.

Whereas most 3-4 defenses put two-gap responsibilities on defensive linemen -- requiring the discipline to sit back and read which two offensive linemen a running back will try to split -- Bettcher's system offers more one-gap responsibility. That means more 1-on-1 battles.

"We're shooting more gaps and it's more attacking, more going after it rather than waiting and seeing what's given to you," Tomlinson said. "I love the scheme. It reminds me of Alabama's scheme. You can say you have less responsibilities, but a little more at the same time."

Tomlinson had 50 tackles, including one sack, in 16 starts as a three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense last season. He admirably replaced departed free agent Johnathan Hankins and earned First-Team All-Rookie Honors from the Pro Football Writers Association." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

DT is a wall to wall bad *** - he will be a star.

Comment

I feel like he's our 2nd coming of leonard marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. G-Man View Post
        I feel like he's our 2nd coming of leonard marshall.
        that's high praise

Comment

Fingers r crossed

Comment

I like that Tomlinson as the next Leonard Marshall I think it's very possible. Tomlinson is very good!!!!!

Comment

I think were getting a little ahead of ourselves with Tomlinson. Sometimes our hearts get ahead of our head. He didn't seem that he did anything outstanding or some great game that he could hang his hat on, not to me anyway. Starting 16 games for that mess of a defense we had last year could be stated as a good job or it might not be anything considering how bad that unit was.

But I'm sure that rookie year gave him a lot of game experience. I do think he would become a better player this season, I hope he makes a significant jump it would help us so much. I would however have him penciled in as a starter at DE in the 3-4.

As good as Leonard Marshall ? I would need to see that, imo not even close but lets hope so. That would be really quite a jump. Don't see no LT to help him out on the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by IntDlineDom View Post
                I like that Tomlinson as the next Leonard Marshall I think it's very possible. Tomlinson is very good!!!!!
                Yeah, I can see it except for the niggling point that he doesn't play anything like Leonard Marshall...anything at all. hahahahaha you guys are awesome.

Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

I feel like Engram can be the next Mark Bavaro.

I just had to try it out for kicks. I just ate a bowl of alphabet soup and crapped out a prediction too.
                  Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

I just had to try it out for kicks. I just ate a bowl of alphabet soup and crapped out a prediction too.
                    Bavaro blocked almost as well as some lineman. I don't see Engram ever getting to that level of expertise. One the receiving side, he can be a very special player (I know you were only joking around, but thought I'd reply anyway). This isn't a knock against Engram. Before the injuries ravaged him, Bavaro was the best tight end I had ever seen, bar none!!

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post

They say a person has mastered something after putting in 10,000 hours. You're 78 more craps away from being completely full of it. I'd be that negative too if my life was that crappy hehe

Comment

Working...
                      X