Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Giants’ $15M afterthought is fitting into the O-line

https://nypost.com/2018/06/03/how-gi...to-the-o-line/

Excerpt: "Sometimes, nothing else needs to be conveyed.

“Yeah, I mean, I feel like the expectations have been clear and they’ve been set,’’ Patrick Omameh said recently.

As one of the new pieces inserted into the offensive-line puzzle, Omameh was not given a crash course documenting just how badly the line regressed last season. There are many, many reasons the Giants plummeted to 3-13, but a case can be made — and had been made — that the complete disintegration of the offensive line was the main culprit. As a result, there will be three new starters on the line and a fourth player, Ereck Flowers, is moving from left to right tackle in what is a near-complete overhaul.

“To a man, everybody who is in that O-line room and everybody that’s going to be on that field playing offensive line, we understand what the job is and we feel that we’ll be fully capable of getting that job done,’’ Omameh said.

As free-agent additions go, Omameh signing a three-year, $15 million contract ($5.5 million guaranteed) was oh-by-the-way news in mid-March, coming a day after the Giants lured in left tackle Nate Solder with a $62 million deal. Omameh was brought in to start and this spring he is working with the first team, lining up at right guard, with Flowers to his right and center Brett Jones to his left. John Greco, a 10-year veteran (mostly with the Browns) brought in midway through last season mainly to watch, has worked as the starting left guard, alongside Solder. Rookie Will Hernandez, the highly touted second-round pick, is the second-unit left guard, although he has received snaps with the starters" Read more....
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I thought Hernandez got most of the starter reps at LG. I guess they are showing vets some respect

where is John Jerry and his fanboys?
    Long Live the King

Comment

Originally posted by Gee718 View Post
      I thought Hernandez got most of the starter reps at LG. I guess they are showing vets some respect

where is John Jerry and his fanboys?
      Hernandez was on the first team OL today with Omameh at RG. Jerry is taking 2nd and 3rd team reps. He is not making this team. What's interesting is Halapio has been the 1st team C.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

Hernandez was on the first team OL today with Omameh at RG. Jerry is taking 2nd and 3rd team reps. He is not making this team. What's interesting is Halapio has been the 1st team C.
        Halapio seems to have come out of nowhere. Wonder if Jones has some kind of injury.
        Engage brain before speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by tdawg1413 View Post

Jerry will make the team as a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post

No he won't. You're forgetting John Greco.

Comment

Originally posted by speedman View Post

Halapio seems to have come out of nowhere. Wonder if Jones has some kind of injury.

Halapio started 6 games at RG last year, a much more physically demanding position than Center.

Gettleman thought he did well there.

Halapio should be much much better at C than at RG.

He is bigger and stronger than Brett Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by ETMF999 View Post

No he won't. You're forgetting John Greco.
                No I’m not, Jerry isn’t a great guard by any means but depth on our line is an issue. Maybe I’m wrong only time will tell.

Comment

No I’m not, Jerry isn’t a great guard by any means but depth on our line is an issue. Maybe I’m wrong only time will tell.
                  I agree. Jerry is a serviceable o-lineman, every team needs o-line depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

I agree. Jerry is a serviceable o-lineman, every team needs o-line depth.
                    I agree, while I was not fan of him as a starter, he rates pretty well as a back-up.

Comment

Right now everything is speculation.
                      Come final cuts for 53 roster.
                      We could pick some people up OL and CB.

Comment

I dont think he will. Greco is a better player and makes less. Jerry being released or dealt will allow a bit of savings.

Comment

Working...
                        X